Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

58 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Not to be an absolute cow but it is a rather shocking indictment on Vestergaard's form when Rodgers prefers Ndidi and Amartey to play at CB over him. And we have him on the books for another two and a half years.

I'm very sympathetic in some regards. He didn't have a preseason with us. But he was bought to be defensive cover since he knows the Prem and he can't even be that.

I think he might get a few games during Jan due to Acon. I hope he can turn it all around but he's so slow and passive. Scary thought that we could be relying on him very soon.

Rodgers clearly never wanted him. You don't discard someone like that unless you didn't want him.

I'd let him and Bertrand leave on loan in January of someone will take them and try and get another centre half in.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Rodgers clearly never wanted him. You don't discard someone like that unless you didn't want him.

I'd let him and Bertrand leave on loan in January of someone will take them and try and get another centre half in.

Amartey and Ndidi will be missing so really cannot do that. I still think they have a part to play and they are better than we have seen so far.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanya said:

Not to be an absolute cow but it is a rather shocking indictment on Vestergaard's form when Rodgers prefers Ndidi and Amartey to play at CB over him. And we have him on the books for another two and a half years.

I'm very sympathetic in some regards. He didn't have a preseason with us. But he was bought to be defensive cover since he knows the Prem and he can't even be that.

I think he might get a few games during Jan due to Acon. I hope he can turn it all around but he's so slow and passive. Scary thought that we could be relying on him very soon.

I think N'didi is a better centre half than Vestergaard anyway.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Time for him to step up and hopefully prove us wrong.

Still can't believe he played 72 times for Southampton.

....and who featured for the team England only just edged out of the Euros semi final in extra time!

Edited by Guy

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Two very decent blocks today. 

He is no high line player and never was , but then neither were Morgan and Huth. When pushed back into the area though his huge size is a formidable barrier. I expect him to be used more effectively in future.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He is no high line player and never was , but then neither were Morgan and Huth. When pushed back into the area though his huge size is a formidable barrier. I expect him to be used more effectively in future.

I think that's the issue though isn't it. He was brought in because we had an injury crisis at the back. We usually try to control the ball and push up high, which due to his lack of pace, he's woefully unable to do. He can be affective in a team that plays deep and there will be occasions when we don't control the ball, like against Man City, but he's still not going to start over any of our other defenders when fit even in games like that. We signed a player that is the complete opposite of the style we want to play. If we'd signed him as option to play a different style fine, but we didn't, we signed him and expected him to fit how we play and he doesn't.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think that's the issue though isn't it. He was brought in because we had an injury crisis at the back. We usually try to control the ball and push up high, which due to his lack of pace, he's woefully unable to do. He can be affective in a team that plays deep and there will be occasions when we don't control the ball, like against Man City, but he's still not going to start over any of our other defenders when fit even in games like that. We signed a player that is the complete opposite of the style we want to play. If we'd signed him as option to play a different style fine, but we didn't, we signed him and expected him to fit how we play and he doesn't.

All true of course but there are indications that Rodgers is having a rethink , which given our poor defending of late is not surprising. We may want to play expansive attacking football but a more pragmatic approach is likely to lead to better results.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

All true of course but there are indications that Rodgers is having a rethink , which given our poor defending of late is not surprising. We may want to play expansive attacking football but a more pragmatic approach is likely to lead to better results.

Maybe, but then we have all our other defenders who were signed on the premise we play the other way.

The fact was when he signed he was signed to add a centre back to squad along side Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana and Amartey, to fill in when they aren't available, or even push them for a spot without fundamentally changing philosophy. If Fofana doesn't get injured we don't sign him, so he's essentially Fofana for a season. And with all that in mind he's a terrible signing. 

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

His lack of pace and turning is a huge problem. I don't necessarily think he's a bad defender but you can't play a high line with him in the team.

I think that’s it for me. I can’t believe that we’ve looked at/scouted him and thought he’d be a good fit. 

If we played with a low block and countered he might be ok sometimes (although he’s hardly a Morgan or a Huth), but he just isn’t suited to Brendan’s style. It’s a mystery to me who could actually think his signing would be a good idea - surely Rodgers couldn’t have thought so? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I think that’s it for me. I can’t believe that we’ve looked at/scouted him and thought he’d be a good fit. 

Did we though? I thought when Fofana got crocked basically the day before the season started we pretty much signed whatever centre back with a bit of experience was available. Very much an emergency signing.

• Like 1

Playing a high line with Evans, Fofana and Soyuncu along with zonal marking at free kicks and corners has been a defensive mistake and meant far too many goals have been conceded. We are much more effective when we sit back and break quickly,  it is in our DNA. Vestergard is not designed for high line football and Rodgers should have known that. However Rodgers has at last changed his thinking and Vestergard may yet prove useful.

• Like 1