Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Or alternatively, just don't play him at all. Could Benkovic be that much worse if fit? Or is it that we've got to persevere to try and justify the money we've spent on him.

The fee for Benkovic was 10m, that was 3 years ago, add his wages during this period and the fact he is still not deemed fit for the bench. I am still confused why he even still here tbh. He also has 1 1/2 years left on his deal.

Have no idea how he can look so bad in training, to not warrant at least a bench spot more often.  :dunno:

So lanky centre backs are sh*t is one conclusion we could draw.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

I wonder if he’d be better as a defensive midfielder, his passing between the lines is his best asset. I can’t understand how he’s only ever played top flight football despite his defensive shortcomings. He’d still get dribbled past an awful lot but at least the attackers won’t be through on goal if they get past him in midfield. 

He started off as a forward in his youth career, then moved back into midfield, before finally playing at centre back. There was a spell at Hoffenheim where he played in midfield and it didn't go too well...

8) Midfield musings

During his time at Hoffenheim, Vestergaard found himself playing in an uncustomary midfield role. While it is a period of his career he admits was a struggle, he says that it was overall a great way for him to mature and get to know himself better. "I'm glad I experienced this situation," he said. "I was in my early 20s, a thousand miles from my family and closest friends so it does get to you. But I learnt that it's important to give your honest opinion, even if it may have negative consequences. If I were to face such a situation again, I would behave in exactly the same way as I did."

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/jannik-vestergaard-ten-things-on-gladbach-s-great-dane-defender-467867.jsp

Whilst everyone is piling in on Jannik, a friend of mine who runs the tech behind the scouting and player performance platform at Arsenal was showing me some stats around him last night. Vestergaard actually has the highest number of blocks out of any of defenders, and the best distribution stats too. So we probably signed him based on both of those and in those categories he's doing a good job. Unfortunately he also leads the way in terms of 1 on 1 errors, in fact my friend literally went "oof" looking at those stats, because they are currently pretty bad!

If we can help his confidence and work on some of his issues, he has the fundamentals to be a good player. He reminds me a bit of Maguire in that he's tall but good with his feet and range of passing, but slow. But Maguire was excellent in the air, whereas Vestergaard despite his height is poor and gets beaten far too often.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2021 at 04:56, volpeazzurro said:

Or alternatively, just don't play him at all. Could Benkovic be that much worse if fit? Or is it that we've got to persevere to try and justify the money we've spent on him.

It’s certainly a strange one with Benkovic, I can’t imagine him being worse than Vestergaard, but we don’t get to see what they're both like in training so its hard to say whether he is or he isn’t. But I think you make a good point about the money we’ve paid, it wouldn’t look good on Rodgers spending 15m, which although isn’t massive in this day and age, when you’ve already got someone at the club. Considering he was used quite a lot in pre season and looked ok I thought he’d have been in and around the squad and played in cup matches but Rodgers just doesn’t fancy him. 

• Like 1

I'd rather have Vestergaard than Amartey. How a professional footballer can be so poor with the ball at his feet is absolutely baffling. Can't wait for Fofana and Justin to come back. Second half of the season we'll be a much more solid team defensively

Sorry- this is an unpopular opinion but our worst defender this season isn't Vestergaard or Amartey, it's Cags. He's been a 4 or 5 out of 10 (at best) every game. His positional sense in a back 3 is absolutely non-existent. He's been an absolute liability this season.....and I'm genuinely a big fan of his.

4 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'd rather have Vestergaard than Amartey. How a professional footballer can be so poor with the ball at his feet is absolutely baffling. Can't wait for Fofana and Justin to come back. Second half of the season we'll be a much more solid team defensively

Looking back at last season there is little evidence for that 

18 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Huh?! :huh: A case of looking ‘better’ sat in the dugout?

Edited by NaijaFox

11 minutes ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

It is weird with Benko as it seems like Rodgers doesn’t rate him but he took him to Celtic and played him every game. Seemed to do well there also. 

Rodgers would know the big standard of football over there and realized he fit the mold in spl. Perhaps he knows it wont translate over here?  Given our issues right now though, you would think why not see what the lads got? 10 minute cameo when up 3 nil?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

Rodgers would know the big standard of football over there and realized he fit the mold in spl. Perhaps he knows it wont translate over here?  Given our issues right now though, you would think why not see what the lads got? 10 minute cameo when up 3 nil?

Bertrand being preferred to him as LCB in the Caraboa Cup midweek was a succinctly damning commentary…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...