Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

20 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I think we were all happy when he signed? Hindsight is wonderful. Of course he has turned out to be absolute dogshite but I don't think you can expect to sign a 6ft 7 centre half who can't head a ball. That defys all logic.

I think quite afew were against this signing  and thought we dodged a bullet when we didn't sign him last year

• Like 2

The Vestergaard signing mystifies me actually. Some people have defended it by saying that we only bought him in to be 3rd or 4th choice (or maybe 4th or 5th when Fofana returns) and that the reaction to his level has been OTT.

I don’t really buy that explanation. If we’d have wanted someone who was going to be 3rd, 4th or 5th choice then surely we’d have gone for someone young and upcoming, someone on loan or an experienced head looking for one last pay day. 

We went in for someone who is an experienced Premier League defender; an international footballer and in his prime. We paid £15m for the privilege. That, to me, is clearly a signing that we intended to rotate into the team on a regular basis. 

Based on the ability and levels he’s shown so far he doesn’t look like a player we want in our team. He’s behind Amartey now and will be behind Fofana when he gets back. That makes him 5th choice at best, but there is also an argument for playing Castagne, Ndidi or a fit again Justin ahead of him. Some would even rather Benkovic be given a go. 

There is no way of looking at it that makes it appear a good signing. It’s more likely that we’ve wasted £15m on a player that won’t be easy to shift. 

• Like 2

New player struggling in a back 4 or 5 struggling is hardly surprising.

Name one of our defender who has looked good this season?

Have we improved massively defensively with him out of the side, not really!

No saying he's a good signing or even a ok one.

Just saying maybe him and Bertrand may not be a waste of space totally, given time.

• Haha 1

He's not used to playing in a team that sits as high as we do. The only game he's looked good for us in was against Man City when there was little space in behind. Southampton play a lower block than us which suits him. Imagine playing Huth and Morgan in a system we play now and it would be comical. Strange signing but one more out of desparation when Fofana got injured. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

New player struggling in a back 4 or 5 struggling is hardly surprising.

Name one of our defender who has looked good this season?

Have we improved massively defensively with him out of the side, not really!

No saying he's a good signing or even a ok one.

Just saying maybe him and Bertrand may not be a waste of space totally, given time.

It's a fair point to say that we've not defended well as a team collectively as well as some fairly poor performances individually. Vestergaard, however, looks poor in almost every area: pace, physicality, game management. Even his much vaunted passing ability hasn't been greatly evident. I suppose at around 9ft tall he can't help but head the ball occasionally, but not with any great control of belief. 

He's not a signing that is 'one for the future ' and to be a successful addition he needs to either improve the quality of the first choice starting eleven, or be a squad player capable of being rotated into the team on a regular basis. That means he has to get ahead of: Evans, Soyuncu, Amartey or Fofana. He doesn't look close to doing that in terms of ability, which means that he only gets in if players are injured. 

If, given time, he does become a useful option then I fear that it will only be because of circumstances to the net detriment to the team as a whole. 

Some signings work - some don't - I get that. But this signing defies logic - unless he was a vastly better player when at Southampton - and I get the feeling that this one will be a write off very quickly. I hope I'm wrong! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I think we were all happy when he signed? Hindsight is wonderful. Of course he has turned out to be absolute dogshite but I don't think you can expect to sign a 6ft 7 centre half who can't head a ball. That defys all logic.

I bloody wasn't.  Massive mistake proximately caused by Fofana's tragic injury.

8 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I think quite afew were against this signing  and thought we dodged a bullet when we didn't sign him last year

Absolutely . They wanted £24 mill then.!

Hopefully  he will keep his place in his national side and we can find someone to mug him off on at a knock down fee 

• Like 1

Guest Danny Clender

Fair play to the knowledgeable section of fans that were against his signing, so far, they have got it right and should revel in their self-gratitude. 

The logic still makes sense to me though, a premier league experienced defender, we needed a CB because of cover for Wes, the Kasper connection, the price was about right at the time so it made sense. 

As posters have mentioned, technically he just hasn’t worked and by now, surely he should have done, I don’t see he will work in our system either now. He’s got to vastly improve for that and we’re in no position to take risks. 

It’s a shame, but I wouldn’t take it personally. 

He should be replaced in Jan though. Hopefully by a decent loan in. Preferably not from Wolves. 

Southampton laughing all the way to the bank. To think they got Bertrand off their books too! A Southampton fan I know described Bertrand's last couple of seasons at the St Mary's exactly how we have witnessed him - it wasn't positive!

Makes you wonder what the hell the scouts are doing, probably just look at data sheets without bothering to see the player! I often think my footballing performances at times would look good on paper with high pass percentages and a few touches but deep down I know I've been an utter disgrace playing the cowards ball and made absolutely nothing happen. 

• Like 1

Big Jan has a decent contract with us ,so unless somebody offers him game time and the same money he is unlikely to go anywhere at least until next summer. Is he really that bad? I can't see how he has been playing at a high level for ten years and got away with it for so long. Our midfield has give little protection to any of our CBs this season and even the great Jonny has been exposed at times  We have to sort out our brittle midfield before we can make a final decision on him.

Edited by An Sionnach
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Big Jan has a decent contract with us ,so unless somebody offers him game time and the same money he is unlikely to go anywhere at least until next summer. Is he really that bad? I can't see how he has been playing at a high level for ten years and got away with it for so long. Our midfield has give little protection to any of our CBs this season and even the great Jonny has been exposed at times  We have to sort out our brittle midfield before we can make a final decision on him.

We should have bought towkowski

25 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Southampton laughing all the way to the bank. To think they got Bertrand off their books too! A Southampton fan I know described Bertrand's last couple of seasons at the St Mary's exactly how we have witnessed him - it wasn't positive!

Makes you wonder what the hell the scouts are doing, probably just look at data sheets without bothering to see the player! I often think my footballing performances at times would look good on paper with high pass percentages and a few touches but deep down I know I've been an utter disgrace playing the cowards ball and made absolutely nothing happen. 

And we’ve never laughed all the way to the bank have we? Maguire and Drinkwater stand out….Chilwell £60m for an academy player, Mahrez £400k into £60m….it’s business and I would say we are a lot better than most….

35 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Dont we review their recent form before signing?

19 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

People here keep saying 'Panic Buy' but I seem to remember Brendan wanted him early last year. Leicester have skilled staff working in the recruitment department so I don't think they were panicked to purchase him. 14m plus around 3.5 to 4.5m a year in wages for a player who may not play for Leicester ever again. Teams find in hard to shift their deadwood..... we're purchasing them. We used to either buy younger unknown talent or experienced defenders who were relatively cheap, this buy goes against our traditional recruitment policy

Perez and Vestergaard don't point too well to Rodgers talent spotting skills. Perhaps he should leave the recruitment to our team and concentrate more on his coaching and tactics. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

...probably just happy that we got someone in, I would say the majority of posters on here did not want him here!!!

There is a long discussion on this Forum prior to him coming here and not many were keen on his services.

He does have the ability with his long range passing, but all other attributes regarding his game leaves us all non plused. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...probably just happy that we got someone in, I would say the majority of posters on here did not want him here!!!

There is a long discussion on this Forum prior to him coming here and not many were keen on his services.

He does have the ability with his long range passing, but all other attributes regarding his game leaves us all non plused. 

Some of his blocks have been well read and timed on occasions - and I do think that he is a potential aerial threat from set pieces. 

Problem seems to be that he turns like a Nimitz class aircraft carrier and - oh yeah, the not insignificant matter that he can't defend. Other than that...

EDIT TO ADD: He's possibly better than Benny was, or currently Benković though. 

Edited by Line-X

Easy scapegoat for our defensive woes this season. Definitely the worst of a bad bunch performance-wise, but considering that we're still shipping two goals a game with Evans having been back in the fold for a solid month, it's unfair to lay the blame entirely at Vesty's door. It goes far deeper than him just being a crap signing.

Do I want him back in the team? Not really. But if he did ever end up lining up alongside Jonny with Soyuncu the one dropped, I'd probably just shrug my shoulders and give it a chance. Until we concede three or more that is. lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be an absolute cow but it is a rather shocking indictment on Vestergaard's form when Rodgers prefers Ndidi and Amartey to play at CB over him. And we have him on the books for another two and a half years.

I'm very sympathetic in some regards. He didn't have a preseason with us. But he was bought to be defensive cover since he knows the Prem and he can't even be that.

I think he might get a few games during Jan due to Acon. I hope he can turn it all around but he's so slow and passive. Scary thought that we could be relying on him very soon.

• Like 3