Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

2 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

People really do chat shit on here. He was steady today. soyunchu and Tielemans were at fault for theRe goals. 

He gave the ball away in midfield for the first goal didn’t he?

he continued to try and win the ball early and failed so many times 

he’s massive yet Kane was getting free headers in the box 

he’s the slowest player I can remember seeing 

Awful 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 17:22, Foxhateram said:

Another experienced defender. Excellent signing. Takes some of the pressure off Evans. 

I must thank all of you , your team , Brendan and whomever responsible in buying him from us at Saints . We honestly thought we were stuck with him . . Then you came along and offered lots of money .. Enjoy . 😇

Very poor footballer. Shouldn’t be at this level. Offers nothing to the squad. As reliable as Lee Marshall. As panic buys go, this is one probably ends up very high on the list. Would rather see a younger player been given a chance then a 29 year old who has turned his mistakes into habits keep getting a chance. 

• Like 1

Calling him a tree is quite frankly an insult to trees. Yes he may be tall but he falls over in a light breeze. Got the strength of a twig, the footballing brain of a child and the ability of a sloppy kebab turd.

Absolutely horrific footballer. 

I hate calling out players but Vestergard is so poor, this has to be up there as one of the worst signings of all time, and yes whilst we have signed some absolute dross in my time, too go out and spend £15m on a player who is such a poor fit for our style of play is truly criminal. 

His lack of pace isn’t even funny anymore, he made Kane look like vintage 2015-16 Jamie Vardy. 

for a player of his stature he is weak as piss and often gets out muscled and I don’ believe he offers that much defensively or offensively at set pieces, apart from the odd 15-20 pass that breaks lines, I cannot see why or how our recruitment team ever saw his signing as a good idea. Truly awful and shocking decision, right up their with Boris and his cronies when they thought they could get away with a few light ales after work during lockdown. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I hate calling out players but Vestergard is so poor, this has to be up there as one of the worst signings of all time, and yes whilst we have signed some absolute dross in my time, too go out and spend £15m on a player who is such a poor fit for our style of play is truly criminal. 

His lack of pace isn’t even funny anymore, he made Kane look like vintage 2015-16 Jamie Vardy. 

for a player of his stature he is weak as piss and often gets out muscled and I don’ believe he offers that much defensively or offensively at set pieces, apart from the odd 15-20 pass that breaks lines, I cannot see why or how our recruitment team ever saw his signing as a good idea. Truly awful and shocking decision, right up their with Boris and his cronies when they thought they could get away with a few light ales after work during lockdown. 

This. Its like someone watched a couple of his youtube highlight videos and thought "yeah that'd do".

A stunning lack of ability for a player who would struggle in the Championship  

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Who the hell gets an oil tanker of a defender to play a high line and follow Harry Kane so deep, that a quick turn or 1-1 leaves him so far from goal at his pace it takes about three minutes to get back…. Oh our manager.

Whoever decided to sign him for that sort of role needs sacking.

This is spot on and I was thinking exactly the same thing watching the game. If you sign Vestergaard you cannot play a system that isolates him against the oppositions main striker when you are playing a defensive high line. He almost has to play the old ‘sweeper’ role, playing him so deep that he literally can’t be turned by an attacking player 

And I suppose therein lies the real weakness of Vestergaard. He’s like a throw-back defender of bygone systems and formations. He’s not suitable for modern day football tbh

Edited by Col city fan

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I can just about get my head around someone so big being so weak, although it's not easy...

But a professional footballer, that slow?! He literally looks like he's trying to overcome a torn hamstring 

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

This is the most baffling part. Who in their right mind thought that he would be a great fit for how we want to play. Probably the same person who thought that Ryan Bennet was a good fit.  Unbelievable!

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This is spot on and I was thinking exactly the same thing watching the game. If you sign Vestergaard you cannot play a system that isolates him against the oppositions main striker when you are playing a defensive high line. He almost has to play the old ‘sweeper’ role, playing him so deep that he literally can’t be turned by an attacking player 

And I suppose therein lies the real weakness of Vestergaard. He’s like a throw-back defender of bygone systems and formations. He’s not suitable for modern day football tbh

I totally agree with this. However the additional issue is the deluded fecker also has no idea of his own limitations. Following attackers into the wrong places and then getting stitched up time and time again. I don't think he's a bright fella!

6 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I totally agree with this. However the additional issue is the deluded fecker also has no idea of his own limitations. Following attackers into the wrong places and then getting stitched up time and time again. I don't think he's a bright fella!

Yep, the Manager might tell him he should play a high line, but after 5 mins of being ripped to pieces, the player should be honest to himself and the manager and sit back deeper.

Look he still has time to develop, what is he 22, 23? ......... 29? :facepalm:

But didn't he used to have long hair and a headband and looked OK? I read in some book or other about a guy called Samson, not Kenny by the way, who lost his strength following a hair cut, you never know, a return to the viking warrior look and he might look more Virgil Van Dijk than Dick. Van Dijk that is.

7 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Very poor footballer. Shouldn’t be at this level. Offers nothing to the squad. As reliable as Lee Marshall. As panic buys go, this is one probably ends up very high on the list. Would rather see a younger player been given a chance then a 29 year old who has turned his mistakes into habits keep getting a chance. 

The worrying thing is that we were linked with him over a few windows and that indicates to me that he wasn’t a panic buy in the traditional sense at all. Yes, if fully fit we probably wouldn’t have signed him but he was obviously someone that we had been considering for a while (God knows why). Ultimately, we don’t know who Brendan or Congerton have suggested to sign and who the scouting team argue for, but I’m pretty sure I also remember Vestergaard being linked with Celtic? If so, I’m going to pin this one on the former two. 

Last night showed why he should not be starting. None of us were really excited by his arrival but some here pointed out that he may be comfortable on the ball and that he may help alleviate our aerial woes. For the first goal, he gives the ball away so sloppily which directly leads to them scoring. For the second, he loses what should be textbook aerial duel vs Kane very high up the pitch and this directly leads to the second. Put a defender in his place who doesn’t make either of those mistakes and we win the game IMO. Additionally, we would probably look tighter throughout the game and not be so easily exposed as we won’t have Vestergaard making lunges high up the pitch and then getting done for pace every five minutes. 

Aside from his own glaring deficiencies though, you have to ask why Brendan keeps playing him and why he is clearly asking him to do things that do not suit him e.g, playing a high line, getting him to press their attack/midfield quickly to win it back. Even with a 15-yard head start he would lose a foot race, it’s absolute madness. This also makes you question why Brendan would’ve wanted him in to begin with. He wasn’t good enough for Southampton and was terrible alongside Bertrand quite a number of times and clearly, whatever limited attributes he does have, are not the kind to play the way Brendan wants to. Get him on the bench and at least use this time to develop the kids. Worst comes to worst, we don’t do anything in the league (which is what will happen anyway). But we might actually find a capable U23 player of value to the squad and even if we don’t, we will learn that they aren’t prem quality but will be able to market them to a championship level side and offset our losses with Vestergaard. 

Who looked at him and thought he'd be a good signing. Seriously. Bloke can't run so once he's too tight to a good striker like Kane he gets turned so easy then can't catch up. Plus for his size he wins nothing in the air.

• Like 1