Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ademola Lookman

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

BBC

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers hopes to make 24-year-old winger Ademola Lookman's loan move from RB Leipzig permanent. 

(Leicester Mercury)

Leicester City consider summer transfer for winger who 'has everything'
The wide man on loan from RB Leipzig has made a good contribution so far, scoring against Manchester City and Liverpool in his past two Premier League appearances

COMMENTS
ByJordan Blackwell
11:47, 13 JAN 2022

Leicester City loan winger Ademola Lookman “has everything” and is being considered for a permanent transfer ahead of the summer.

The 24-year-old has made an excellent contribution since arriving from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig on a season-long deal.

He has produced match-winning performances in recent outings, scoring the only goal in the 1-0 victory over Liverpool and then leading the line in the absence of the club’s three strikers in the FA Cup success against Watford, setting up goals for James Maddison and Harvey Barnes.

With the second half of the season upon City and preparations for the summer transfer window already under way, manager Brendan Rodgers has said the club are weighing up a permanent deal for the 24-year-old.

LOOKMAN WOULD BE SMART DEAL – EVEN IF ANOTHER NEW WINGER IS SIGNED
“He’s a player I’ve loved working with and he’s improving and developing all of the time,” Rodgers said. “I can see the improvement in his personality.

“He has everything, he’s quick, he’s two-footed, he presses the game well, he’s a great dribbler, he’s scoring, he’s creating goals.

“He’s shown he can play anywhere across the frontline, he’s played off the right side, he’s played off the left, he played in a central role.

“He’s just a fantastic football player who still has so much development to make. I’ve been delighted with his contribution. And moving into the second half of the season, that (a permanent deal) will be something we will sit down and look at.”

City are the fifth club of Lookman’s professional career – after Charlton, Everton, Leipzig, and Fulham – with the winger yet to reach 50 appearances for any of them.

Finding somewhere to settle down will help him reach his potential, Rodgers has said, while City are also working on raising his self-belief to the levels of his talent.

Rodgers said: “What we said to him when he came in, because he’s a humble guy and a really quiet guy, it’s just about developing his personality to play at the very highest level.

“Sometimes to play in the Premier League, you need that arrogance. Every top player I’ve known has had that arrogance, self-confidence, and that self-esteem. Just because you have talent, it doesn’t always give you that. So that needs nurturing and developing.

“If you look at Ademola, he wasn’t in any academies, he came through late into Charlton, and then he’s in the first team very quickly. He went to Everton, it’s not quite worked out for him there, he’s been on the move.

“He’s a boy now in his early 20s that probably needs to find a home. I felt we could bring him in here, where our culture is about coaching and development. We felt we could bring that personality up to the level of his talent. That’s time and work and confidence, and he’s showing he’s developing really well.”

interesting his comments on him are virtually same thing he said about harvey in terms of personality 

I think theres a lot more to come from him. Marhez or Vardy didn't exactly light the league on fire when they first joined us, can see him doing something similar, albeit, maybe not quite at their level but hopefully close enough. He has shown some really good glimpses of flair and skill that our team has been lacking at times. We can pass well but don't have that many players who can take a player on and get past them. 

I don't think Ade is a bad player or anything but surely you identify a player who can nail down a position and get numbers in an attacking position on the right hand side before you take what seems to be an easy option in exercising the option for Lookman, who always looks better on the left. Perez, Albrighton, Gray, Under, Lookman all of them have never really looked up to it in a position we need a settled player.

• Like 2

I wasn’t sure to begin with, but he seems to have settled now and is showing some great moments. There’s unquestionably a lot of talent in those big toes, and Brendan seems to be able to get it out of him. This could be the type of project Brendan was looking for. 

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I don't think Ade is a bad player or anything but surely you identify a player who can nail down a position and get numbers in an attacking position on the right hand side before you take what seems to be an easy option in exercising the option for Lookman, who always looks better on the left. Perez, Albrighton, Gray, Under, Lookman all of them have never really looked up to it in a position we need a settled player.

Can’t imagine many people are wanting us to sign him as a right winger anyway

Ideally we sign a right winger AND Lookman who can provide competition for Barnes and cover for the wings

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Yep for the price I think he's a decent player.

But we still need to go out and sign a proper winger this summer.

Or at the very least an exceptionally gifted left footed attacking midfielder. De Ketelaere is probably our main target but I'd hope we're still looking at Madueke. He's had bad injuries this season but that's perfect for us.

• Haha 2

Yes please, but not a the cost of us not getting in a quality RM option.

For me he looks a better player on the left, Barnes need a player to make him fight for his shirt to push him on.

Always feel like we are on the back foot on revamping the squad, an injury always seems to crop up and divert the budget elsewhere.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Meant to be a £15m option to buy isn’t there?

Good competition for Barnes and looks like he can play well in a fluid front 3

Get it done!

No one reliable ever reported that there is a buy out clause at all, I asked Rob Tanner about it in Athletic Q&A and he didn’t give a clear answer. 

If there is a buy option, I would expect it to be £15-20m. It does seem strange to do this loan without a buy option, so I would wager it does exist. 

Agree with the general sentiment that we should buy him to cover both wings, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of a quality new RW. Because Lookman is a left winger predominately, and looks better on the left. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

I'm glad we are considering signing him permanently. The wide forward/winger options have had room for improvement for a long time, and we saw last season how much disruption Barnes's injury caused us.

Like many others, I don't think he's the long-term answer at RW, but he is the best we've got at the minute there.

If we have got an option around £15m-£20m, I think we'd be mad not to buy. Would be great to get him in as well as the elusive bona fide RW in the summer. I suppose that could hinge on whether we can sort the defence out first, and maybe replacing other players leaving.

Our long term wide options are currently Barnes, Perez and Albrighton. We need two wingers anyway as the latter two aren't dynamic enough.

Lookman for < £15m would be decent business.

• Like 2