Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

The I cant believe it’s not politics thread.

56 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Someone on here the other week asked what Labour were missing and what they needed to do to win over Tory votes or those sat on the fence and for me it’s this, stop with the constant bickering over the little things, trying to get cheap wins by trying to blow the small things into big things & ultimately making it into white noise, it’s like the young person in class always with their hand up saying miss miss miss everyone switches off from them, just get the message across of what They will do to make things better.

The other day a Tory MP gets highlighted and mocked on here and in the national press, on line etc for saying.. Tennis Pitches.. so f’ing what, yet the week before maybe even the same week a Labour MP on live morning Tv was talking about the war in the east and says …..Russia’s invasion of Croatia….& had to be corrected by the hosts, yet nothing on here & very little in the press is said, great it was a slip of the tongue we all knew what they meant, the constant highlighting of the simple things is boring and just turns people off.

Putting this into real life, if I had 3 builders round for ideas and a quote on a kitchen extension I wanted and 1 of them spent his time knocking the other 2 builders and their work instead of showing me what jobs he’s worked on and how he would keep costs down without sacrificing quality, guess who falls out the running straight away.

I know it’s a forum & Nation to express free speech but every time highlighting when an opposition MP has picked their nose despite them picking their noses themselves stops people really thinking about the real issues and they just put an X where they did the previous time.

Let's be honest about press coverage it depends where you're looking really. Diane Abbott got absolutely ruined for most things she said and did. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Also, they may seem pointless to you, but that's not the case for everyone.

Agreed Stan and I’m not trying to wage war or stickup for the Tories I’m simply replying to OP question and in my opinion this thought could be a reason plain and simple.

Its about like-ability and neither party are blessed in that department, you need to standout from the crowd and maybe choose a different road than just be that kid that sticks his hand up all the time. 
Where are the characters and I don’t mean bumbling buffoons I mean strong in touch with everyday living, I don’t know a, Johnny Mercer or Andy Burham type, everyone detests Priti Patel myself included but i also wouldn’t trust Angela Rayner as far as I could throw her either.

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Let's be honest about press coverage it depends where you're looking really. Diane Abbott got absolutely ruined for most things she said and did. 

She got slated for the numbers thing and I agree it’s not news, it was her also I mentioned that said about Russia rolling into Croatia but there wasn’t any big who-ha because as a grown up I can see it was a slip of the tongue I know she didn’t think Croatia was being invaded.

The thing is in the world of politics you have to be whiter than white if your going to throw stones, you can mention all you like that Boris lied he wasn’t  at a party but you can’t then say 1 of your own wasn’t at a drinks event only to be found out they were because now you have watered down the affect of what you were after.

Edited by BKLFox

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

She got slated for the numbers thing and I agree it’s not news, it was her also I mentioned that said about Russia rolling into Croatia but there wasn’t any big who-ha because as a grown up can see it was a slip of the tongue I know she didn’t think Croatia was being invaded.

The thing is in the world of politics you have to be whiter than white if your going to throw stones, you can mention all you like that Boris lied he wasn’t  at a party but you can’t then say 1 of your own wasn’t at a drinks event only to be found out they were because now you have watered down the affect of what you were after.

Oh yeah I was aware, more that she was definitely more of a parody figure in the past. But google it and there's still enough reports taking the p***.

9 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Oh yeah I was aware, more that she was definitely more of a parody figure in the past. But google it and there's still enough reports taking the p***.

I know it’s there but you have to look for it I’m not getting or seeing the same level of those hilarious memes of someone at a tennis court saying the player was offside ref etc

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I know it’s there but you have to look for it I’m not getting or seeing the same level of those hilarious memes of someone at a tennis court saying the player was offside ref etc

Is it because of what Dorries is actually representing. As in, Secretary of State for Digital Media, Culture and Sport. 

So it resonates more that she knows fvck all of what she's talking about. 'Downstreaming movies'. 'Tennis pitches'.

It becomes more of a 'thing' because of what her job title is. 

Abbott is well known for her erroneous gaffes and while the Russia/Croatia thing was a mess, you probably get more memes and piss-taking because this is Nadine Dorries we are talking about. She brings it on herself just like Abbott did when she got those numbers mixed up (not for the first time). She got absolutely hounded for having a drink on a train ffs!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is it because of what Dorries is actually representing. As in, Secretary of State for Digital Media, Culture and Sport. 

So it resonates more that she knows fvck all of what she's talking about. 'Downstreaming movies'. 'Tennis pitches'.

Abbott is well known for her erroneous gaffes and while the Russia/Croatia thing was a mess, you probably get more memes and piss-taking because this is Nadine Dorries we are talking about. She brings it on herself just like Abbott did when she got those numbers mixed up (not for the first time). She got absolutely hounded for having a drink on a train ffs!

She did say it was down to dyslexia which can have that affect where preceding words roll into the next it’s very common, hell I do it myself, having just said the word “pitches” it stuck in her head and it’s spoken without brain investigation, that is all.

I find nothing funny about the abuse Abbott received either 

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

She did say it was down to dyslexia which can have that affect where preceding words roll into the next it’s very common, hell I do it myself, having just said the word “pitches” it stuck in her head and it’s spoken without brain investigation, that is all.

I find nothing funny about the abuse Abbott received either 

I've seen many people who are experts in that field state it is not symptom of dyslexia.

Its very much a symptom of not knowing what the **** she's on about though :thumbup:

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This is compounded by Dorries and the interviewer, who was a Tory party member, didn't think that anything she said was wrong and thought it was an appropriate thing to put on Tik Tok. Mis-speaking on live TV is very easy, to be prepped for a question about your job, answer the question like you have no idea what your job is, then put it on social media is far worse.

• Like 3

Interesting Boris interview on good morning Britain a moment ago. 

“An old lady has to ride on buses all day to keep warm as she can’t afford her gas bills”

Boris’s response was that he introduced the pensioners bus pass so that she could ride the bus all day 🤣🤣

Edited by Lionator
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Your Minister of State responsible for eradicating disinformation everyone... :rolleyes:

Not sure the uproar about this is justified tbf. It's a stock image attached to the article she is linking to. She's not suggesting that is a picture of the event in question, although it might have been the Mail's intention to imply that.

Google articles of Johnson and the Downing Street partying and I bet loads of them have photos of him with pints during pub visits etc.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Not sure the uproar about this is justified tbf. It's a stock image attached to the article she is linking to. She's not suggesting that is a picture of the event in question, although it might have been the Mail's intention to imply that.

Google articles of Johnson and the Downing Street partying and I bet loads of them have photos of him with pints during pub visits etc.

I think in an instance where there is also an image of the actual event under scrutiny next to it (although he's wearing different clothes), it does look like they're trying to make out like this picture was also taken at the same event.

Likewise though, I wouldn't want to see a stock photo of Johnson that could feasibly have been taken at a Downing Street party to be put next to an image of any of the actual Downing Street parties, lest it be interpreted wrongly. No reasonable person would be daft enough to conclude that a picture of him behind a bar could have been taken in Number 10.

• Like 1

Car. Crash. Pt 2959185015.

Typical Johnson. Listens to a story about an unfortunate elderly woman in this country living through the current crisis. 

But he makes it all about himself 'I introduced the Freedom Bus Pass!!!'. 

That makes everything alright! 

No sympathy. No empathy. No heart. No human touch. Just nothing. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I think in an instance where there is also an image of the actual event under scrutiny next to it (although he's wearing different clothes), it does look like they're trying to make out like this picture was also taken at the same event.

Likewise though, I wouldn't want to see a stock photo of Johnson that could feasibly have been taken at a Downing Street party to be put next to an image of any of the actual Downing Street parties, lest it be interpreted wrongly. No reasonable person would be daft enough to conclude that a picture of him behind a bar could have been taken in Number 10.

True, but sadly these are Daily Mail readers we are talking about.

15 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

This is the whole point though isn't it - in sharing the Tweet she is supporting what Daily Mail are clearly looking to do here, which is to infer that the photo was taking from the night in question. 

The biggest issue for me though is that they think the way out of this is in trying to catch someone else out - we need strong leadership, not a race to the bottom.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Typical Johnson. Listens to a story about an unfortunate elderly woman in this country living through the current crisis. 

The next time GMB get to interview him, (hopefully not for another 5 years) they really should send someone with a bit more political nous than Reid.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I’m reminded of something that Sunak said while introducing the furlough scheme that not a single newspaper or commentator picked up on:

THIS is his ideology.