Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kilworthfox

''Summer re-build''

4 hours ago, phoneticerror said:

I feel short changed. He came full of promise and optimism. Like a different man these days.

He's playing like a man who knows no matter how many goals he scores, he's second fiddle to a 35 year old and a bloke whose close control is up there with a everyone-chase-the-ball year 6 PE session. He also needs to be told if you don't move for the ball, you won't get it.

• Like 2

A rebuild is going to happen whether some like it or not, purely based on contract situations.

I fully agree that a select few like Bertrand, Vestergaard & Perez need moving on.

We have numerous players out of contract though in 2023, if the likes of Schmeichel, Soyuncu & Tielemans aren’t signing new contracts, you might as well try and move them on in the summer. Then you have the likes of Amartey, Choudhury & Mendy who like Bertrand, Vestergaard & Perez, who should be on the surplus to requirements list.

That’s nine players who will more than likely be out the door, if not this year, then next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieLynex said:

Lets hope that Mr Rodgers is not around to oversee this. Here are my thoughts:

Out

Amartey - £5m

Vesty - £5m

Bertrand - cancel contract

Soyuncu - £25m

Praet -  £10m

Tielemans - £40m

Perez - £20m

Mendy - £5m

Albrighton - £3m

Choudhury - £5m

Lookman - do not sign on deal

Total - £118

Worried that Fofana may be tempted to leave, despite the fact he has signed a long-term contract recently. Believe that he has a track record of forcing through a move when he wants to leave. Wouldn't be surprised if he's our next centre half to move to Man Utd for £80m.

So, a new Manager should have between £80-£100m on new players.

Id add Ricky to this list and cash in while he still has good value. Sadly he hasn't got anywhere near his pre injury level.

I'd also Cash in on Kasper, I;ve seen ebough of his flapping at shots and rooted to his line. That should add 30 to 40 mil to the kitty.

I wouldn't sign Lookman if we can get better which I'm sure we can. More to do with his lack od height and strength for this league.

I'd also sell Thomas for the same reason. He lacks to height and pace for this league. 25 mil is all profit as he's one of our own.

I'd be rootless in my approach and rebuid from here.

2 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

So we played three centre backs today to combat our weakness at corners and correctly Vestergaard wasn’t one of those selected and I’ve got more chance of making the team than Bertrand. The Bertrand Vestergaard acquisitions have to rank right up there with some of the worst purchases we have made. 

Talking of duos, how about those Hungarian chaps we signed? 

• Haha 1

People who don’t think we need a rebuild are totally deluded.

How many goals have we conceded due to mistakes from our “key” players? Off the top of my head the following are responsible for a fairly large amount.

Tielemans

Soyuncu

Kasper

All of the above also have contracts expiring in 2023.

To add to that, we have an ageing Vardy and Evans who clearly can’t start 2 games a week anymore. That’s 5 of our starting XI that potentially need replacing with players good enough for the first XI (rather than players that will come good in a year or 2). This doesn’t even include areas we need to add further depth.

Looking to Rodgers tenure so far, this is the first season we’ve had under Rodgers where our key players need a refresh. If you look at his permanent signings, I’d say except for Castagne and Fofana, the rest were signed to add depth with our European campaigns. Also, if you look at our best XI there actually aren’t that many Brendan signings in that squad by comparison.

It’s probably the biggest rebuild we’ve needed since winning the title.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

We don't need a rebuild. 

It's Rodgers propaganda for his continued failures. 

A few players must be moved along:

Bertrand

Vestergaard

Perez

Yes we need to recruit a few players, but this team, and squad doesn't require a rebuild at all. 

Minor not major surgery 🦊👌🏼

Rodgers Out! 

Our spine is ruined.

Evans is always injured, and were finding it hard to find a good centre back partnership.

Tielemans will probably be off, arguably the best technical player we have.

Vardy having limited influence on games.

Add that to the fact we arent getting enough goals from wide areas too.

Id say thats a legitimate case to rebuild the team.

• Like 3

Out

Youri - 35mil

Soyuncu - 25mil

Iheanacho - 25mil

Perez - 10mil

Hamza - 10mil

Bertrand - free

Vestergard - 5mil

Thomas - loan

Ward - 5mil

Amartey - 5mil

Praet - 10mil

Mendy - 5mil

In

LWB (rotation)

CB (first choice)

CB (backup)

CDM (backup)

CM (rotation)

CAM (backup)

Winger (first choice)

Winger (backup)

ST (rotation)

Anyone with a season left on there contracts I’d try and sell. Including Kasper if he wants European football again. Then just sign a new GK freshen it up some more.

New GK/Iverson

Ricardo/Justin

Fofana/new CB

new CB/Evans

Castagne/new LB

KDH/new CM

Ndidi/ new CDM

New winger/Barnes

Maddison/ new CAM

Lookman/new winger

Vardy/Daka/new ST

the squad needs badly refreshing and this is the sort of 23 I think we need. With the likes of a couple more (Albrighton and Soumare) being back ups in the squad. 

I know it’s doubtful we’ll sign 9/10 players but hopefully with the out going I listed we’ll need too!

I wouldn't be too perturbed if we lined up first game of the new season as follows:

Iversen

Ricardo Fofana Evans Justin

Maddison Ndidi KDH

De Ketelaere Vardy Barnes

Subs: Ward, Colwill, Saliba, Castagne, Thomas, Ward-Prowse, Lookman, Maswanhise, Daka

That's a decent outlay, especially for the bench but does involve receiving a few decent fees for Cags, Tielemans and Iheanacho, and maybe a smidge for Kasper. Plus it's not like the new additions on the bench couldn't slot in nicely and provide decent competition for places.

14 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I wouldn't be too perturbed if we lined up first game of the new season as follows:

Iversen

Maddison Ndidi KDH

Subs: Ward, Colwill, Saliba, Castagne, Thomas, Ward-Prowse, Lookman, Maswanhise, Daka

That's a decent outlay, especially for the bench but does involve receiving a few decent fees for Cags, Tielemans and Iheanacho, and maybe a smidge for Kasper. Plus it's not like the new additions on the bench couldn't slot in nicely and provide decent competition for places.

Ward-Prowse won’t be here unless you pay £50m.

On 08/05/2022 at 16:35, Kilworthfox said:

We don't need a rebuild. 

It's Rodgers propaganda for his continued failures. 

A few players must be moved along:

Bertrand

Vestergaard

Perez

Yes we need to recruit a few players, but this team, and squad doesn't require a rebuild at all. 

Minor not major surgery 🦊👌🏼

Rodgers Out! 

Disagree. Manager aside there’s too many players here who simply aren’t good enough or don’t have the mentality required to get us where everyone wants us to be. 

Plus, some very silly and non practical comments in this thread. Contracts will play a huge factor for a start.

Edited by TJB-fox

21 hours ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Our spine is ruined.

Evans is always injured, and were finding it hard to find a good centre back partnership.

Tielemans will probably be off, arguably the best technical player we have.

Vardy having limited influence on games.

Add that to the fact we arent getting enough goals from wide areas too.

Id say thats a legitimate case to rebuild the team.

TBF, there aren't many who haven't been always injured this season. Evans had one injury from the end of last season that didn't heal properly and probably led to his hamstring injury when he came back.

16 minutes ago, Dusty said:

And unless you put him in the starting line-up. He's not going from captaining Saints and playing for England to warming our bench. I've wanted us to buy this guy for 3 years, was the sort of player we used to scoop up when Pearson was here. Sadly he's now been spotted by all the rent-a-pundits been hyped up and will end up costing United or Spurs £60M or something ridiculous

1 hour ago, Dusty said:

Yeah, there was a definite element of fantasy football about that squad.

It'd be shame to see him see out his career at Southampton and not challenge for anything. We do fluctuate fairly wildly but at least we do show that we do aim and win things.

If he doesn't move somewhere this summer or next Jan, and he doesn't sign a new contract before next summer, he'll have two years left on his current deal, which would be interesting in terms of whether he decides to go and how much money Southampton may accept for him.

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Iversen

Maddison Ndidi KDH

....CDK is not a wide forward, he is playing in a inside right position at the moment and the game just passes him by!!!

We are not going to spend £30m on a player and shoehorn him into the team. He is a CF or a SS.

Playing Maddison wide in the midfield is not where he should be, we seem to be creating formations to shoehorn players into teams. You have got to be ruthless and drop players at times when they are not suitable to play in certain games. If Soumare could come good then we will have two powerful #8s controlling the midfield with Maddison behind a front two of CDK and Daka.

Having Colwill, Saliba and Ward-Prowse coming in and not affecting the first eleven, is an expenditure for depth, that cannot be warranted. Improve the first eleven, to improve the team depth.

"It's a young squad, a very dynamic squad, it's got huge potential and you've got some of the players with good experience also." < These were the quotes from when Rodgers was appointed over 3 years ago. 

Since then he has added the following questionable signings: 

• Perez 
  • Praet - Already out on loan 
  • Vestergaard 
  • Bertrand 
  • Soumare 
  • Under (Loan) 
  • Bennett (Loan) 

When will he start taking accountability for the poor decisions he has made? We had a "young, dynamic squad with huge potential" when he was appointed, why all of a sudden is our squad now not good enough under 3 years of his coaching / his transfer additions? 

On 08/05/2022 at 22:26, kingfox said:

A rebuild is going to happen whether some like it or not, purely based on contract situations.

I fully agree that a select few like Bertrand, Vestergaard & Perez need moving on.

We have numerous players out of contract though in 2023, if the likes of Schmeichel, Soyuncu & Tielemans aren’t signing new contracts, you might as well try and move them on in the summer. Then you have the likes of Amartey, Choudhury & Mendy who like Bertrand, Vestergaard & Perez, who should be on the surplus to requirements list.

That’s nine players who will more than likely be out the door, if not this year, then next.

The worrying thing is there will be a very modest amount of money received for those players in total. That means we have to go look for bargains to replace them. And will they be any better? Unlikely.

Summer re-build....

1. Re-implement the Medical team we had before Rodgers arrived.

2. Re-implement the Recruitment/Scouting team we had before Rodgers arrived.

3. Stop offering huge contracts to ageing players, and squad players, which we didn't do before Rodgers arrived. (Mendy/Choudhury/Albrighton etc).

After 3 years+ of Rodgers's tenancy, we're in roughly the same place we were at the end of Puel's....But Claude had a much smaller and less talented squad to work with, with less resources in terms of time and finance.