Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox in the sox

Radio Leicester coverage

15 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Have to agree they overall it is fine, it must be hard to try and stay positive as I know they are all pretty big Leicester fans so it must be hard to not show too much emotion. 

Also didnt Piper say he was stepping away from it for a couple of games (i know this is his last season too) but sure he said he was having a few games off? Did that never happen? 

He did and Matty Fryatt took his place for one or two games. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

Didn't help on Saturday when the presenter (Owen is it?) kept referring to us as City having played City. I had no idea who he was talking about.."I thought City played well" he said "and do you think City will be pleased with the score line?" 

It must be location thing as I never once referred to us as City growing up in Leicestershire. 

He asked Pipes a question where he gave him 3 answers within his question for him to answer with (which I felt was odd way to ask a question) I thought to myself don't answer a mixture of all three - then Pipes  "hmmm  I'd say a mixture of all three" 

I turned off at this point. 

Wasn't great radio. 

Seems popular amongst many radio stations, these elongated leading questions, almost rhetorical types...

I don't mind pipes or owain, but would prefer to hear someone a bit more experienced leading the sessions. Also more match day call ins.

They've chopped the podcast into so many small ones, tactics and weekend preview I personally find boring. Always listened to post match and Mon night ones.

35 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I think the Stringer leaving thing was partly down to none of the managers actually wanting to speak to him, Pearson in particular really didn't like him

I think we had a couple of ITKs on here proclaiming to know the reason for him leaving, but not sure anyone really knows for certain. 

I did find the whole thing pretty interesting though. His social media posts almost subtly taking aim at the BBC were curious, and RL have moved on without saying anything at all. 

Leaves me wondering whether the break up was acrimonious. 

Edited by RoboFox

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I think we had a couple of ITKs on here proclaiming to know the reason for him leaving, but not sure anyone really knows for certain. 

I did find the whole thing pretty interesting though. His social media posts almost subtly taking aim at the BBC were curious, and RL have moved on without saying anything at all. 

Piper did a video post saying Stringer was taking a break for personal reasons and struggling with his mental health. Stringer has posted quite a lot of updates in recent weeks about his mental health and him focusing on it.

Issues at RL could have brought that to the fore, or it may be unrelated. It was a bit weird, RL didn't say he was stepping back and wishing him well.

On 31/10/2022 at 09:56, Heskey2011 said:

Just an idea but could we (the royal we)

not get a FT member on there?

Pipes and one or two FT members selected via a poll???

I'm on the football forum next Monday... let's just hope we beat Everton... 😂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

Didn't help on Saturday when the presenter (Owen is it?) kept referring to us as City having played City. I had no idea who he was talking about.."I thought City played well" he said "and do you think City will be pleased with the score line?" 

It must be location thing as I never once referred to us as City growing up in Leicestershire. 

He asked Pipes a question where he gave him 3 answers within his question for him to answer with (which I felt was odd way to ask a question) I thought to myself don't answer a mixture of all three - then Pipes  "hmmm  I'd say a mixture of all three" 

I turned off at this point. 

Wasn't great radio. 

He does this quite a lot in his interviews.

It very much feels like he’s figuring it out as he goes along when he has to interview. He’ll ask a lot of closed questions or “is the answer x or y” type of questions whereby he restricts the responses to his pre-determined answers or doesn’t really encourage his subject to open up.

But he probably is figuring it out as he goes along. He’s a young lad who’s been thrust into the main seat - and is taking it in his stride - but it doesn’t feel like he has someone more experienced mentoring him as he probably needs.

On the coverage overall, I’d say we’re very lucky to have the output that we do from BBC Radio Leicester. You only have to accidentally leave the radio on post-forum or turn it on too early when there’s a strange kick-off time to hear the standard of the other shows on there. It soon becomes apparent that the football coverage is the jewel in the crown.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Alongside his personal reasons there was issues within RL management that seen multiple staff have a period of time off away from the station Stringer and Ben Jackson are the 2 most notable.

Stringer to Talksport had been on the table for a long time, given the issues at RL and personal reasons he decided to finish up rather than return like Ben Jackson did.

7 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Leaves me wondering whether the break up was acrimonious

I'm not itk but i highly suspect there could well have been some disciplinary action due and stringer plays the 21st century trump card cop-out of 'mental health' prior to any verdict. 

He's certainly both narcissistic and shameless enough to pull that kind of stunt. 

BBCRL has got progressively worse for a decade or so - I'm not local, but we used to leave it on after a game until we got out of range heading back down the M1. That stopped a few years ago when Stringers style just jarred too much, says it all that we go with talksport instead. I think the issue as others  haves said is even though Stringer made the show about him and was gagging to rattle off rehearsed lines, he was less green than the current lad. Gave him a listen a couple of times this year but as above - he sounds like he's learning on the job. 

2 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Alongside his personal reasons there was issues within RL management that seen multiple staff have a period of time off away from the station Stringer and Ben Jackson are the 2 most notable.

Stringer to Talksport had been on the table for a long time, given the issues at RL and personal reasons he decided to finish up rather than return like Ben Jackson did.

Why did he get absolutely no send off though? He was the commentator for our best ever moments. He was far from everybody's cup of tea but I find it quite distasteful that he went without any kind of goodbye. 

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm not itk but i highly suspect there could well have been some disciplinary action due and stringer plays the 21st century trump card cop-out of 'mental health' prior to any verdict. 

He's certainly both narcissistic and shameless enough to pull that kind of stunt. 

The real 21st century trump card... having no idea or facts...making shit up and broadcasting it and then covering it with.. Its just my opinion.

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

What an utter shambles of a post. Knowing nothing but assuming a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Why did he get absolutely no send off though? He was the commentator for our best ever moments. He was far from everybody's cup of tea but I find it quite distasteful that he went without any kind of goodbye. 

....you would think there was a lot more to this story than was mentioned (or not) by Radio Leicester!!!

It would have either been a disciplinary situation or a mental problem, either way, the station failed to give any information on his disappearance from the show or any update as to when he would come back. Just to say, it would have been a personal issue that was not in the public interest.

• Like 2

The biggest problem is that the lad now fronting the coverage is trying too much to be like Stringer. I kind of get it as he was taken under Stringers wing…. But implement your own style. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1