Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox in the sox

Radio Leicester coverage

I feel like when they thought Rodgers was a gonner they went in on him and every vox pop and studio guest destroyed him. Was really quite surprising and unlike what the show has ever really been like. 

Somewhat predictably, Piper was told to keep his mouth shut by the bosses and its all become very BBC like again. 

The issue is, just like the BBC across the board, when it's public funded there's a huge element of not wanting to upset anyone and then ending up upsetting most people. They never get it right. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boots60 said:

BBC are making massive cuts to local radio. Don't know how this will affect the football side of things but it ain't going to get any better.

I can't imagine anything is anywhere near as popular as football on Radio Leicester. It'll be shit about gardening and Victoria sponge cakes that will be cancelled. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Fair enough, stringer hasn’t been on it for ages and I thought it was common knowledge here. 

No problem.

In fact, last time was probably when I was urging checking on that station and on here for updates on the helicopter tragedy.

I enjoyed it when he was on here for a couple of hours a few years back where he answered posters' questions.

Edited by Wymsey

I can’t even get the damn podcasts to work on my Spotify since they rebranded. Not sure what is going. Anyway I’ve started to listen to others now like the Leicester city pub cast and big Leicester boys. Rob tanner does some good pieces on the athletic too. although I do miss pipes opinions in small doses and small talk & laughs with birchie.

I phoned them a year or do back to object to the lack of post match callers. Especially given they keep including a highlights package.  The production assistant said this was to update fans just tining in.

I said fans were either at the game or had listened to the commentary... what we want is opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

I phoned them a year or do back to object to the lack of post match callers. Especially given they keep including a highlights package.  The production assistant said this was to update fans just tining in.

I said fans were either at the game or had listened to the commentary... what we want is opinion.

I slightly disagree as hearing the goals again can be uplifting!  - but yes agree more different opinions are needed.

Haven't listened in ages, used to listen religiously on Monday evening for the footy forum and then the match on saturdays. It was good show when it was either Alan Young or Matt Elliott. Soon as Matt Piper and Ian Stringer took over it really became unprofessional and silly. It turned into like a youtubers blog channel. Stringer from what I've heard isn't the most trustworthy or loyal guy he makes out to be. Yes does lots of work in charity, which is certainly something to be proud of. But other things I've heard and read about him, I'm not sure.

6 hours ago, evil jack said:

They haven’t? At least not in my experience.

they have online... international listeners get the "we cant play this" message.

At least thats what happened the last two times i tried to listen a month or so ago

1 minute ago, Reginaldo said:

You can only listen on FM for the match itself. 

thanks yes it has "always" been that way for the match.... but pre match used to be available, that has recently also been blocked.

Now i dont bother to download podcasts from them at all

• Like 1

I actually like Radio Leicester coverage, but there is always good and bad points when you report on a one football club city/area. I actually live in Lancashire and the local radio station covers half a dozen league clubs, so whilst the content can be quite varied, it also means that for large parts the focus isn’t necessarily on one subject or club. 

I think the Radio Leicester team do a decent job, and have a good core group of guests who contribute to some good discussions/debate. The current format is far from shabby and it is difficult to talk about one club for 2/3 hours a week without it becoming a little repetitive at times. 

The tactics section has helped refresh it a little but now it runs the risk of running out of meaningful content and perhaps should be once a month and focus on subtle changes and tweaks as the season progresses. 

I think the team could use the forum to discuss the previous result/reaction but limit that to no more than 20/30 minutes then leave the remainder of the show to focus on a different aspect each week such as the academy, next transfer window targets, commercial and business side of the club, this would freshen up the discussion and reach out to potential new contributors. Imagine a half hour special on left footed right wingers with special guest @Ric Flair the scenes would be epic 😊

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Didn't help on Saturday when the presenter (Owen is it?) kept referring to us as City having played City. I had no idea who he was talking about.."I thought City played well" he said "and do you think City will be pleased with the score line?" 

It must be location thing as I never once referred to us as City growing up in Leicestershire. 

He asked Pipes a question where he gave him 3 answers within his question for him to answer with (which I felt was odd way to ask a question) I thought to myself don't answer a mixture of all three - then Pipes  "hmmm  I'd say a mixture of all three" 

I turned off at this point. 

Wasn't great radio. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....justing listening to it now and Owen is quite verbose, hard to say that without being mean-spirited, but he uses far too many words for simple questions!!!

He virtually answers his own questions with how long his questions are. He sounds like a University student who is on a student radio program, He and Pipes just need to be more concise.

And at times it's like Malapropism FM, too. lol

He's learned everything from Stringer and he emulates him in pretty much every way, but just isn't as experienced a broadcaster... 

Overall I think they do a decent job though. The two guys that do the match day presenting are very capable IMO. Adam Whitty they draft in from Tigers coverage occasionally, and the other guy - Jack? 

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

And at times it's like Malapropism FM, too. lol

He's learned everything from Stringer and he emulates him in pretty much every way, but just isn't as experienced a broadcaster... 

Overall I think they do a decent job though. The two guys that do the match day presenting are very capable IMO. Adam Whitty they draft in from Tigers coverage occasionally, and the other guy - Jack? 

Have to agree they overall it is fine, it must be hard to try and stay positive as I know they are all pretty big Leicester fans so it must be hard to not show too much emotion. 

Also didnt Piper say he was stepping away from it for a couple of games (i know this is his last season too) but sure he said he was having a few games off? Did that never happen? 

Edited by goose2010