Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

England v Senegal - 4 December, 7pm

11 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Same team for me. Thought Henderson bossed that and the others seemed to respond to his leadership. Foden and Rashford should retain their places as should Walker imho. 

I suspect he might save Walker for a potential tie with France though. In my opinion, Foden is better in tight spaces than Saka and Rashford offers much more of a threat than Sterling.

Agree with this. This team was so much more positive than the team that played the US. Foden and Rashford are key to unlocking those defences, with Kane dropping deeper to create chances. That said, i am unsure of how Senegal play and whether the same kind of tactic will work.

This is Southgate's best competition squad.

They almost all have tournament experience, it is something like the 5th youngest squad, all fit, all competing for spots, all offering something different, many on form, many experienced.

JUST be aggressive and high tempo like 2nd half last night, Iran.

When we don't play so well, like first half last night they remind me a lot of Leicester with Jonny in the team, backwards and forwards from centre half to centre half, slow play, though tbf that's what opens it up later.

Competition at full back = 2 from 3, all on form, competition for all midfield and forward places = 6 from about 11!!, only certainties in front 2 lines are Bellingham, Rice and Kane.  He's got some tough decisions to make.  Have to say the two that shouldn't be playing are Mount & Sterling, just not really on it and the others have overtaken them now.

We just need luck now when required and decent draws.  They could make the last 4 again at least, and its time to be bolder, learn from the Croatia and Italy games, again Leicester are the same don't sit on leads, get a 2nd or a 2 goal gap.

Senegal will be no pushover, watched their game yesterday, very fit, so could be open BUT they must be much weaker without Mane and we should be confident of our ability and experience.

We can get close again at least, c'mon England.

Looking forward to this more than any we've had.

Hasn't felt like there's been any jeopardy at all for England thus far. It hasn't been exciting IMO.

The risk of being dumped out at the first knockout round should make this tasty... And these guys aren't just going to roll over. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

I think he’s been our most consistent player. 

To be fair the Maguire who plays for England is confident, dominant and one of a few players who seems to revel in the style of football we get embroiled in in many games under Southgate. He was the same under Claude Puel in that 1st season with us 😂😂😂

England have never lost to an African team at the World Cup (W4 D3). The only knockout game of those seven was that 3-2 extra time win v Cameroon in the Italia 90 quarter-finals. Even without Mane Senegal are African champions and fully deserved to beat a good Ecuador side. It will be far from easy on Sunday. Just hope it doesn’t go to penalties…

2 hours ago, LVFox said:

I’d go Trippier in for Walker and keep the rest the same.

Only reason for dropping Walker is to keep him fresh for Mbappe in the QF

Agree with this, although the emphasis being placed on Walker essentially being the way to shut Mbappe down makes me laugh.

He roams all over the place, all it would take would be for Dechamps to say 'Kyli, go and have a run at Luke Shaw', or 'Run straight through the middle at Harry!' and we may as well get on the plane at half time lol 

14 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

Agreed. I like Henderson. He's not the most talented but I love that he's aggressive, constantly barking out instructions and getting stuck in - that wasn't there v USA. Mason Mount might be a more technical, silkier player but he's just isn't a presence in most games. England have so many technically gifted players, I think it's fine to sacrifice a bit of flair for a bit of steel.

I also think Henderson's presence allows for Rice to play from a slightly more advanced position and he covers his full back far more effectively than Mount.

It grates including Henderson but his contribution to leadership on the pitch is not something to be ignored. Even if his age means he now struggles in the Liverpool midfield.

I think Bellingham is also so good you can play him with less defensive duties and not suffer too much, as long as they can keep the supply through to the 3 up front.

I think England are probably happier to face Senegal rather than Ecuador. I think Senegal has played well at the tournament, but i don't think they particularly stack up against England with Mane and Gueye. Now that England are no longer competing with the US, i find myself pulling for them. I like a lot of their players - Foden, Rashford, etc. I think it is setting up for a QF matchup against France that will feel like a Cup Final. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Agree with this, although the emphasis being placed on Walker essentially being the way to shut Mbappe down makes me laugh.

He roams all over the place, all it would take would be for Dechamps to say 'Kyli, go and have a run at Luke Shaw', or 'Run straight through the middle at Harry!' and we may as well get on the plane at half time lol

That's a good point, but I think we can't afford not to play walker. I think we all know we'll be heading home after the quarter finals if we get there but we need to have a go.

But knowing Southgate, he'll probably go ultra defensive with 3 at the back and play both Walker and Trippier.

• Like 1