Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

On 10/01/2023 at 13:14, Leicester_Loyal said:

Anti-strike bill: Unions criticise plans as unworkable

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64219016

The Government are scumbags, 'protect the public' my arse.

We'll find ways around it, mark my words :thumbup:

It's exasperating seeing so much crap come out of this government. I'm so fed up of all this rhetoric about helping people when they are pushing stuff like this and the police bill which are just about control and shutting down our freedoms.

I can't wait to see the back of these useless twats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, marbles said:

Only here in the US

What in God's name is that? There's no way an ordinary citizen needs that. It's like an anti tank missile. I know the good folk of the US argue about the right to be armed to defend themselves, a pistol or rifle is one thing, but surely that's extreme.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Keep cake away from office, suggests food watchdog head

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64315384

'She argued that being around cake in the office was like passive smoking, which though not identical also inflicted harm on others.'

This has got to be satire surely?

Society is so wretched and stupid at present I really can't tell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Keep cake away from office, suggests food watchdog head

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64315384

'She argued that being around cake in the office was like passive smoking, which though not identical also inflicted harm on others.'

It's not allowed now but, standing in a room full of poisonous B&H fumes, isn't remotely similar to Doris in the office bringing in a Victoria sponge 🙄

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

It's not allowed now but, standing in a room full of poisonous B&H fumes, isn't remotely similar to Doris in the office bringing in a Victoria sponge 🙄

Has anyone actually read the article.  Her observation is that's it's becoming an every day occurrence in some offices and that has serious health implications for the nation. 

10 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

Has anyone actually read the article.  Her observation is that's it's becoming an every day occurrence in some offices and that has serious health implications for the nation. 

It's probably just that it seems a poor comparison. You can say no to the cake. You couldn't say no to the smoke, going back to the days of smoking in offices. 

Having worked in places when smoking was allowed in the office, you couldn't avoid it. Same with pubs, planes and cinemas etc. 

I did however, avoid many cakes when in the office. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

It's probably just that it seems a poor comparison. You can say no to the cake. You couldn't say no to the smoke, going back to the days of smoking in offices. 

Having worked in places when smoking was allowed in the office, you couldn't avoid it. Same with pubs, planes and cinemas etc. 

I can’t imagine what it would have been like having an office with people smoking! Just seems madness, but presumably the norm then

28 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I can’t imagine what it would have been like having an office with people smoking! Just seems madness, but presumably the norm then

People smoked everywhere, so I suppose it didn't seem strange. Imagine checking in for your flight and being asked smoking or non-smoking now!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

People smoked everywhere, so I suppose it didn't seem strange. Imagine checking in for your flight and being asked smoking or non-smoking now!

I can’t read this without thinking of the joke from Airplane.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

While I agree it's not a perfect comparison,  the report highlighted the fact that the vast majority of people can't so no for many psychological reasons.

1 minute ago, Robo61 said:

While I agree it's not a perfect comparison,  the report highlighted the fact that the vast majority of people can't so no for many psychological reasons.

Ah, but there is a school of thought that suggests that the individual human is completely sovereign, has the capacity to make decisions with total freedom, and so such psychological reasons aren't relevant - or if they are, it's solely the fault of the individual involved and not anyone else.

Total cobblers, of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

In other news, Jacinda Ardern is standing down as NZ leader. Unfortunate but she has had a great run.

Also, the actor Julian Sands is reported missing in California after bad weather there.

The Julian Sands story does not sound good…:(

39 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

In other news, Jacinda Ardern is standing down as NZ leader. Unfortunate but she has had a great run.

Also, the actor Julian Sands is reported missing in California after bad weather there.

A real shame as she generally came across so well and as a progressive force for good.

How many world leaders over the years have retired due to burn out? Most cling on to power until the bitter end. I think the 2 terms max in the US should be universal. 8 years to get shit done and leave it ready to hand over to someone else. 

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

It's not that they can't, it's just difficult and when temptation is sitting right there and you are stressed tired and fed up and there is a sugar fix staring you in the face.

• Like 1

I didn't expect that to generate quite so many responses :D

I think my serious take is that it's definitely not the same as passive smoking. Passive smoking is so bad because you can't decide to breathe your own air and that makes it unfair for people to smoke around others. 

On the other hand there's an interesting discussion to be had around etiquette and boundaries. So essentially our social behaviours are governed by two competing paradigms, one is the concept of our individual boundaries and the other is the concept of etiquette. Actually there's a third issue and that's how we react when we are stressed.

Our boundaries are the way we choose to respond to a situation based on our own beliefs and values. 

Etiquette on the other hand is a usually unwritten (although it could also be written) form of social contract that sets out what is reasonable and expected behaviour.

When we are stressed we tend to react impulsively based on learned patterns of behaviour. Many of us have become conditioned to consume unhealthy food as a way to cope or soothe ourselves.

So the issue really is that 'cake culture' can become a form of etiquette. It's expected that one brings cake or sweets into the office on a birthday or after a holiday. Not doing this could earn a negative label of being miserly, unfun or sanctimonious. Perhaps refusing to eat these foods could be taken as a rejection. Likewise if we're prone to emotional eating and we work in an office where there is cake lying around all day then it can feel like our own boundaries are being pushed.