Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

They've stated there is 'no evidence of third party involvement', which means they don't think anybody else was involved.

However, there is also no evidence of her falling into the river - no skid marks down the bank, etc - and the river itself is apparently pretty shallow at the location she disappeared, which means she should have been able to get out if she went in. So yes, it's a bit of a mystery.  

Looking at the videos it seems the river is knee/thigh height max and very little flow.

If she was in the river pretty sure she would be found by now considering they've apparently searched miles in either direction.

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

If the dog entered the water and appeared to be in trouble, she might have gone in after it and not been able to get out. The dog may then have subsequently managed to get out on its own. After that it could have wandered anywhere.

Police said the Dog was found "bone dry".

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

They've stated there is 'no evidence of third party involvement', which means they don't think anybody else was involved.

However, there is also no evidence of her falling into the river - no skid marks down the bank, etc - and the river itself is apparently pretty shallow at the location she disappeared, which means she should have been able to get out if she went in. So yes, it's a bit of a mystery.  

No, it means there's no evidence of third party involvement [that they will publicly disclose, based on the information they have at this time].

It definitely doesn't mean they are ruling out third party involvement.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Police said the Dog was found "bone dry".

Yes I've seen that now. It seems unlikely the dog went into the water and I can't think of another reason Nicola would have voluntarily gone in herself. Did she accidentally drop something that slithered down the bank and into the water? Possible I suppose, but again unlikely. It's all very strange.

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

No, it means there's no evidence of third party involvement [that they will publicly disclose, based on the information they have at this time].

It definitely doesn't mean they are ruling out third party involvement.

I know it doesn't mean they are ruling it out, but the tone of their statements suggests they don't have any evidence to suggest 3rd party involvement. There were other dog walkers in the area, but no screams were heard and no sightings of suspicious characters have been reported. This could change of course, but as of now they don't seem to have any evidence which suggests foul play. 

On 02/02/2023 at 11:52, Rain King said:

Looking at the videos it seems the river is knee/thigh height max and very little flow.

If she was in the river pretty sure she would be found by now considering they've apparently searched miles in either direction.

The police have just issued a statement that they now think she did, sadly, fall into the river.

Until they find a body no one will know exactly what happened to her, questions still remain. Why was the owner of an abandoned house near where she disappeared there when volunteers checking the grounds wanted to search the property but the owner wouldn't let lthem and instead checked it himself . From the house you could see the bench where she was last seen.

8 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The police have just issued a statement that they now think she did, sadly, fall into the river.

They seem pretty confident about this. The most likely explanation seems to be that her dog was close to the water's edge and she became concerned for its safety, so she put her phone on the bench, went down to the river to check and then slipped/fell in. She probably then succumbed to cold water shock or just couldn't get out because of her bulky clothes. Tragic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

They seem pretty confident about this. The most likely explanation seems to be that her dog was close to the water's edge and she became concerned for its safety, so she put her phone on the bench, went down to the river to check and then slipped/fell in. She probably then succumbed to cold water shock or just couldn't get out because of her bulky clothes. Tragic. 

This seems to be their working theory. Apparently, having check all the local CCTV, there is no evidence of her leaving the river bank. Awful for the family, just being in limbo, with no confirmation either way.

Had to smile when I read this.

Fella gets in grounds of Windsor Castle and is heading for the Queens private quarters. He's dressed in black, wearing a hood, mask and carrying a loaded crossbow.

A royal protection officer sees him and asks, 'Morning, can I help, mate?"

Imagine if something like this happened somewhere like the grounds of the White House. Probably would have had a dozen cops screaming at him, pointing guns. Or worse, shooting him.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 15:28, Nalis said:

Interest rates set to go up to 4% today and *some older folk on social media grumbling about 'oh you dont know yer boooorn lad, back in my day interest rates were 15% yer generation were lucky son' but conveniently ignoring that house value to wages ratio was a lot better back then and that monthly payments on the average house are a lot higher like for like in real terms on 3% interest now vs 15% on house prices then.

*some not all

So annoying.... in 1984 when i bought my first house, i was working in a factory at minimal wages, my partner was also working but as she was a woman, the bank refused to take her income in to account as they said..."she would be getting pregnant soon and the income would be lost". The interest rates were at 13% and went to 18%

But even given those details i was able to buy and repay a home in a dodgy area as the cost of the house (compared to today) was so low.

The average Australian in 1984 could buy a home that cost 3.3 times their annual income. In 2022, it's 10 times what the average person earns in a year.

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

So annoying.... in 1984 when i bought my first house, i was working in a factory at minimal wages, my partner was also working but as she was a woman, the bank refused to take her income in to account as they said..."she would be getting pregnant soon and the income would be lost". The interest rates were at 13% and went to 18%

But even given those details i was able to buy and repay a home in a dodgy area as the cost of the house (compared to today) was so low.

The average Australian in 1984 could buy a home that cost 3.3 times their annual income. In 2022, it's 10 times what the average person earns in a year.

And here's a photo of the average Australian...

Screenshot_20230204_081041_com.android.chrome_edit_216501173001859.jpg

16 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

ive asked you not to use my photo without approval.

On that subject, and off at a tangent, I was once on the cover of a magazine ('name the mag' could be an obvious 2nd tangent to follow ;) ) without my permission, or even awareness - I was alerted to it by a friend. So I emailed the magazine's editor to ask why my permission hadn't been sought (they had identified me so they knew who I was, and how to contact me) The response I got was surprisingly snotty I thought. In short, we don't have to ask your permission as you were in a public place... if you don't want to be photographed then don't take part in public events. Regardless of the legality, I thought it might have been courtesy to ask.

On 02/02/2023 at 07:28, Nalis said:

Interest rates set to go up to 4% today and *some older folk on social media grumbling about 'oh you dont know yer boooorn lad, back in my day interest rates were 15% yer generation were lucky son' but conveniently ignoring that house value to wages ratio was a lot better back then and that monthly payments on the average house are a lot higher like for like in real terms on 3% interest now vs 15% on house prices then.

*some not all

Ratios and repayments are very different now. Bought my first house in 1992 or 3, deposit £1800, and 2.5 x our salaries just covered the cost of the house, circa £35k. Yes, the interest rate was higher, but first time buyers would need to be earning £40k each and have a £20k deposit to buy that house now (at the same mortgage ratio). Which, I'm guessing, isn't very realistic. I can't recall what the monthly payment was, a lot for us then but nothing compared to a £180k one - daren't even guess what that costs :(

6 minutes ago, taupe said:

On that subject, and off at a tangent, I was once on the cover of a magazine ('name the mag' could be an obvious 2nd tangent to follow ;) ) without my permission, or even awareness - I was alerted to it by a friend. So I emailed the magazine's editor to ask why my permission hadn't been sought (they had identified me so they knew who I was, and how to contact me) The response I got was surprisingly snotty I thought. In short, we don't have to ask your permission as you were in a public place... if you don't want to be photographed then don't take part in public events. Regardless of the legality, I thought it might have been courtesy to ask.

yep, If you are in public anyone can photograph and publish your pic

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Differs in different countries, and according to the situation I believe. I'm not complaining about the law (in the UK) just more taken aback by the abruptness of the response I received, and the 'advice' for me not to go out in public if I didn't want it to happen! It's not like I was simply a member of the general public in a happenstance crowd, I was front and centre and identified (on the inside cover) - and received no notification of it from the magazine. Just surprised me.

Edited by taupe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Family certainly don’t buy the police theory.

Guess they are hoping she is still alive somewhere .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-64522796

Taking into account her family circumstances cant see any reason she wouldn't get in touch if she was safe and alive.

Considering she joined a work call at the time and spoke to her boss prior, this doesnt seem like a person who is on the brink of doing something  stupid.

If she was in the river surely with the police resources the body would have been found by now, by the sound of it the rivers not immense and it was calm so wouldnt have moved miles?

Something not right.

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I was on my push bike waiting at a junction, when a guy stepped off the pavement, came within a metre or so of me and took a pic with a very expensive looking camera.

I was aware that you have no rights to your image in a public place but he didn't say a bloody word to me, before or after taking the photo.

Thought that was out of order.

• Like 1