Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

(this is not a political post) 

List of levelling up projects announced. Some worthwhile, some not so. Feels very dystopian getting local authorities to compete for government handouts. 

Places that are probably OK like Camden getting pretty big chunks of cash, whilst desolate wastelands like Nottingham get nothing from their bids. :ph34r:

Lo and behold Sunak's pretty affluent constituency gets a cool £19m. 

Without being political it would probably be better if instead of being directly governed by Westminster and having the ruling party use local authority funding as a way to reward or punish areas for voting a particular way, we instead had a more formalised federal structure. 

The trouble with the 'Levelling Up' project everyone knows you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Some folk don't even accept there are "poor areas" in the South and those in the North never appear satisfied.

What about us poor blighters in the Midlands?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

I didn't expect that to generate quite so many responses :D

I think my serious take is that it's definitely not the same as passive smoking. Passive smoking is so bad because you can't decide to breathe your own air and that makes it unfair for people to smoke around others. 

On the other hand there's an interesting discussion to be had around etiquette and boundaries. So essentially our social behaviours are governed by two competing paradigms, one is the concept of our individual boundaries and the other is the concept of etiquette. Actually there's a third issue and that's how we react when we are stressed.

Our boundaries are the way we choose to respond to a situation based on our own beliefs and values. 

Etiquette on the other hand is a usually unwritten (although it could also be written) form of social contract that sets out what is reasonable and expected behaviour.

When we are stressed we tend to react impulsively based on learned patterns of behaviour. Many of us have become conditioned to consume unhealthy food as a way to cope or soothe ourselves.

So the issue really is that 'cake culture' can become a form of etiquette. It's expected that one brings cake or sweets into the office on a birthday or after a holiday. Not doing this could earn a negative label of being miserly, unfun or sanctimonious. Perhaps refusing to eat these foods could be taken as a rejection. Likewise if we're prone to emotional eating and we work in an office where there is cake lying around all day then it can feel like our own boundaries are being pushed. 

Something else to consider is waste guilt. It's the end of the day, there's still a load of donuts left, you know they're going to end up in the bin. Despite resisting all day it's either your belly or the bin so you shovel in 3 donuts and cram the rest into your pockets to devour in a dark corner of the train home like the filthy little rat you are...

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

The trouble with the 'Levelling Up' project everyone knows you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

Some folk don't even accept there are "poor areas" in the South and those in the North never appear satisfied.

What about us poor blighters in the Midlands?

Transport infrastructure especially is total shit outside of London, of course people aren't satisfied. 

• Like 2

Levelling up is just tripe from the government to sell an idea to deprived areas and poor people that they give a sh*t about anything outside of London. Would like to see a set of KPI's on what they are actually achieving. 

35 minutes ago, bovril said:

Transport infrastructure especially is total shit outside of London, of course people aren't satisfied. 

I can't comment on rail/air travel as it is something I rarely use. Roads, however, have improved but I agree there is still more to do with a growing population and a growing numbers of vehicles using our roads.

My point was really folk having this idea that all the deprived areas are in the North which is total claptrap, or shit if you prefer.

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

Second PM to have been punished for breaking the law and it's his second offence in government too!

Hopefully he can cobble together the £800 fine, thoughts are with him at this difficult time 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Hopefully he can cobble together the £800 fine, thoughts are with him at this difficult time 

I read it was only £100

i also heard someone on the radio earlier today who said that the PM (along with other likely kidnap/terror targets) would be asked by their protection force not to wear a seat belt.  Sunak let down by his media team who should have spotted this 

48 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I read it was only £100

i also heard someone on the radio earlier today who said that the PM (along with other likely kidnap/terror targets) would be asked by their protection force not to wear a seat belt.  Sunak let down by his media team who should have spotted this 

Why would he be asked not to wear a seatbelt? If they get close enough to car jack then he's fvcked anyway, I guess there could be a bomb threat and he needs to get out the car quick, but it is only a second to take your seatbelt off. Other than that if there's any sort of crash or other incident he could die or be seriously injured.

8 hours ago, Captain... said:

Why would he be asked not to wear a seatbelt? If they get close enough to car jack then he's fvcked anyway, I guess there could be a bomb threat and he needs to get out the car quick, but it is only a second to take your seatbelt off. Other than that if there's any sort of crash or other incident he could die or be seriously injured.

No idea mate - just what this ex police protection guy was saying. 

8 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Isn't it also illegal? Unless there's an exemption in law then it's not really up to them.

Police are exempt and I guess one could say that it's part of a policing operation, subject to risk assessment I would think.