Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Favourite non-pizza take out?

6 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's either a chippy - I started a thread on this a while back - or a Chinese. It entirely depends on my mood.

Used to live in a place where a little van would come by every other Friday and they cooked your Chinese in front of you in massive woks.  Best Chinese takeaway I've ever had. 

All I've got now is those stodgy, overly sweet type Chinese takeaways sadly. 

A lot of it comes down to what you've got locally that's actually worth ordering from. 

41 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Used to live in a place where a little van would come by every other Friday and they cooked your Chinese in front of you in massive woks.  Best Chinese takeaway I've ever had. 

All I've got now is those stodgy, overly sweet type Chinese takeaways sadly

A lot of it comes down to what you've got locally that's actually worth ordering from. 

Almost all Chinese T/A's are the same generic menu using the same mass produced ingredients and bottled sauces. Not authentic at all. If they were, you wouldn't want to eat them. Proper Chinese street food (in China) is pretty awful to our English palate. I've been once. So I know from experience albeit, limited.

We went to a proper Chinese cafe in Nottingham a few years back. Never again. Pigs stomach was, among other things, inedible.

In China they don't do sweet n sour or Kung Po or anything that we would find on a menu in this country.

You could look at any Chinese T/A menus in Britain and they'd all be the same.

Edited by Parafox

54 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Almost all Chinese T/A's are the same generic menu using the same mass produced ingredients and bottled sauces. Not authentic at all. If they were, you wouldn't want to eat them. Proper Chinese street food (in China) is pretty awful to our English palate. I've been once. So I know from experience albeit, limited.

We went to a proper Chinese cafe in Nottingham a few years back. Never again. Pigs stomach was, among other things, inedible.

In China they don't do sweet n sour or Kung Po or anything that we would find on a menu in this country.

Oh yeah of course.  I don't fancy cows vagina thanks.  But there's still good Anglo Chinese and bad Anglo Chinese.   Most of it though is pretty bad.

Unfortunately for the waistline I eat absolutely everything.

Chinese

kebab

Burger

Curry

Indo Chinese

Grilled chicken 

Favourite of all of that is probably indo Chinese, some unreal places in the county for that but a bit of a drive for me.

17 hours ago, Parafox said:

I've been to China twice unfortunately and the food there is almost unedible unless you have a very exotic taste. First of all it's hard to know what you are getting unless you are fluent in reading Chinese, there isn't an english translation on the menu so you have to rely on whoever you are with to let you know - ''that's beef'' can mean anything from steak through to cows brain or stomach. 

One of the regions where our business is, called Chengdu, their traditional dish is the hot pot - in simple terms a big boiling cauldron of beef fat and water in the centre of the table where you dip and cook various meats - think cheese fondue but 100x worse - the meat is effcetively offal and they go mad for it, poached duck tongue is also a delicacy. 

Best bet is to stay in a western hotel and fill up at breakfast and spend the rest of the day hungry.

• Like 1