Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Without wanting to sound massively hypocritical given some of the opinions I've taken on managers and players in the past but it's relatively common for huge transition at clubs not go swimmingly but then the ship is steadied and improvements made.

Maresca lasted 14 games (less than half a season), rightly or wrongly. They finished that season 12th and then this season improved but lost in the playoff semi's to Cagliari. 

Was he harshly removed and could have naturally seen a similar improvement over time? Who knows. I'm not convinced we hit the ground running but if we simply have to get up at all costs in the 1st season then it's a very brave move this is. Although any manager having to negotiate such a huge turnover of players would face a challenge under the same circumstances. 

What the Championship has taught us in recent years is, every year a team or a few teams go from being utter muck in the opening chunk of the season and go on a run and either come up or run it close to doing so and the playoff spots.

Let's see how he does, I'm very intrigued. 

Do we have to get up at all costs this season?

Most people would say yes, but it depends on how the club's finances are handled. Not being in the Premier League is so humiliating, seeing the PL fixtures announced and seeing Luton, Brentford, Brighton all there and us not shows how much we've fallen. But this appointment is in line with King Power and their "steady growth" / "one step back, two steps forward" mentality.

If we are playing crap, then the appointment is a bad one. If we are inconsistent but look great on occasion, it's a different story. In 2016 whilst we won the title, Jurgen Klopp was under pressure at Anfield as he had a worse record than Brendan Rodgers. But the team identity was there to see. They stuck with him and the rest is history. Even Guardiola said after finishing 4th with Man City in his first season that at other clubs (Bayern, Barcelona) he would have been sacked for that finish.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Do we have to get up at all costs this season?

Most people would say yes, but it depends on how the club's finances are handled. Not being in the Premier League is so humiliating, seeing the PL fixtures announced and seeing Luton, Brentford, Brighton all there and us not shows how much we've fallen. But this appointment is in line with King Power and their "steady growth" / "one step back, two steps forward" mentality.

If we are playing crap, then the appointment is a bad one. If we are inconsistent but look great on occasion, it's a different story. In 2016 whilst we won the title, Jurgen Klopp was under pressure at Anfield as he had a worse record than Brendan Rodgers. But the team identity was there to see. They stuck with him and the rest is history. Even Guardiola said after finishing 4th with Man City in his first season that at other clubs (Bayern, Barcelona) he would have been sacked for that finish.

Our finances for year one, will have to be reduced again next season, and again the following season for the 3 years of Parachute payments reducing year on year. 
From a financial aspect you would think year one would be the season the club outlay the most on trying to get promoted.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

They were shit before. Haven't got much better since he left. I don't think Maresca was the issue here. 

People might be OTT because it signals an intention to move away from the style that Rodgers got everyone doing here. 

The links and networks Maresca has from Man City or perhaps further afield. 

It's just something fresh and new. I haven't really even seen any OTT reactions. Just some satisfaction that we appear to have finally found a manager and now we can move on. 

Out of interest what is Maresca's style of play?

I would have thought that with him coming from Man City he will be inclined towards playing possession football which is what Rodgers was trying to implement here.

Fair play to the club for going more of a different route; choosing someone who has worked under one of the best managers in the industry, rather than go for a run-of-the-mill or a 'has-been'.

He certainly has my backing, and this is sn excellent opportunity for both him and the club.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 2