Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

30 minutes ago, StanSP said:

They were shit before. Haven't got much better since he left. I don't think Maresca was the issue here. 

They finished fourth this/last season, losing by one goal to Ranieri’s promoted Calgiari in the play off semi-final.

I don’t think you can sugarcoat his Parma days as anything other than a failure, but what does it matter? Hopefully he’s learned from it.

It’s a gamble and he’s unproven but a punt in the dark is probably a gamble worth taking where we are as a club right now. 

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Which would be a fair point if he had failed. 

Well, quite.

They were crap before him, crap under him and haven't improved since.

Maybe Parma are crap.

5 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

They finished fourth this/last season, losing by one goal to Ranieri’s promoted Calgiari in the play off semi-final.

I don’t think you can sugarcoat his Parma days as anything other than a failure, but what does it matter? Hopefully he’s learned from it.

It’s a gamble and he’s unproven but a punt in the dark is probably a gamble worth taking where we are as a club right now. 

Rob Edwards was crap at Watford and just got Luton promoted. Parma seems like a similarly difficult club to embed yourself as a manager. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Someone posted earlier about where left Parma - only 4 points from a play off position. Not that bad, particularly if they were a shambles like us. Give the guy a break! 

I’m hoping that after 14 games and we are just outside the playoffs we don’t sack him. You need more time than that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Someone posted earlier about where left Parma - only 4 points from a play off position. Not that bad, particularly if they were a shambles like us. Give the guy a break! 

If he wasn't sacked he most likely would have gradually improved the team. He came in and tried to change the style and changed I think it was 15 players in the squad, so almost 2/3s of the squad. It was never going to click straight away.

Hopefully our board will give him time to implement changes and tweak things throughout the season, they should have been reactionary last season and they weren't. They can't be too reactionary this season, so they probably will be 🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

They had 18 points from their first 15 this season, which is exactly what Maresca was sacked with. So I guess their gaffa failed this season as well?

Oh no he was sacked after 14 games. In which they had 15. So the ppg was slightly lower than when Maresca was sacked  :D

Edited by filbertway

The more i think about this appointment the more it makes sense.

I wasn't against Parker and the like as much as some on here but imagine how much they'd have to do and if we didn't sign good quality quickly, the word would soon be to potential players that we are a sinking ship. With Maresca a Man City signing or two quickly alongside an already strong squad and more are likely to stay and the better proposition we become for players. 

First day for weeks i've started to get a little bit of positivity back.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Without wanting to sound massively hypocritical given some of the opinions I've taken on managers and players in the past but it's relatively common for huge transition at clubs not go swimmingly but then the ship is steadied and improvements made.

Maresca lasted 14 games (less than half a season), rightly or wrongly. They finished that season 12th and then this season improved but lost in the playoff semi's to Cagliari. 

Was he harshly removed and could have naturally seen a similar improvement over time? Who knows. I'm not convinced we hit the ground running but if we simply have to get up at all costs in the 1st season then it's a very brave move this is. Although any manager having to negotiate such a huge turnover of players would face a challenge under the same circumstances. 

What the Championship has taught us in recent years is, every year a team or a few teams go from being utter muck in the opening chunk of the season and go on a run and either come up or run it close to doing so and the playoff spots.

Let's see how he does, I'm very intrigued. 

I do wonder if part of our plan for instant success would be using man city’s academy… especially as we know how much glover loves it. 

I wonder if part of our plan is simply if we get him we get the 3 best picks available for loan from them. 

If we do go heavy on loans it hardly seems like a team attempting to grow slowly. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Rudkin wants to up it to £15m

The Leicester Mercury are apparently stating that they would like to know this story but would prefer another outlet to say something before they make their stance more concrete. 

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I'll be perfect honest...I don't think it's the right appointment for us.

It's got disaster written all over it.

We've got to trust the ownership of the club, which hasn't worked out very well for the last couple of years.

More than happy to be proven wrong, before everyone starts giving me shit about it.

Agree, 

for fast and attractive football get De Zerbi

for a methodical, possession based game get Potter, 

but when you’re in a championship hole and you don’t know what to do….

get down on your knees and pray for Nigel.