Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Barnes

It's definitely a bit sad to see a homegrown player like Barnes move on, but the potential for a sizable transfer fee could be a silver lining for us. If we're savvy in the transfer market and discover a hidden gem, this could turn into a win for us in the long run.  Imagine us signing a relatively unknown player, who turns out to be consistently high-performing, game after game. With a year of Championship experience under their belt, they might just evolve into an even more complete player than Barnes was for us. That's the dream scenario, assuming everything goes according to plan

• Like 1

Who is currently Mahrez'esq like in the premiership & Who is classed as a winger & better than Barnes in the premiership?

I often see there are plently of cheaper better  "wingers" out there but is there?

Barnes finished 5th in goals for, for players marked as wingers / AM(w), he was behind Salah, Rashford, Martinelli & Saka although i only see the latter 2 position equivalent to Barnes the former 2 i still have as striker/forwards then looking behind Barnes its the likes of Foden, Almiron, Mbeumo again i don't see them as 'classic' wingers in the old 442 sense where are these old style classic wingers?

A lot of talk is made about the likes of Olise but he only scored 2 goals to Barnes 13  although his assists 11 betters 1 from Barnes (although i'm sure thats not right but still) so which current premiership clubs standout where Leicester seem to have failed?
I just think both Barnes & Leicester get a rough deal sometimes, Barnes i think we critise to hard compared to non top 6 club players as there isn't really anyone that produces for 38 games & then Leicester because there isn't another non top 6 club sat there with 2 or more wingers that are ripping it up.

Of all the players, especially in non Top 6 clubs i guess for me Mbeumo would standout with his goal/assists ratios but again is he classed as a classic winger, wasn't he more 2nd striker especially in the Championship?

ps. To save him coming up Eze is classed as central midfield so i'm lead to believe.

4 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Who is currently Mahrez'esq like in the premiership & Who is classed as a winger & better than Barnes in the premiership?

I often see there are plently of cheaper better  "wingers" out there but is there?

Barnes finished 5th in goals for, for players marked as wingers / AM(w), he was behind Salah, Rashford, Martinelli & Saka although i only see the latter 2 position equivalent to Barnes the former 2 i still have as striker/forwards then looking behind Barnes its the likes of Foden, Almiron, Mbeumo again i don't see them as 'classic' wingers in the old 442 sense where are these old style classic wingers?

A lot of talk is made about the likes of Olise but he only scored 2 goals to Barnes 13  although his assists 11 betters 1 from Barnes (although i'm sure thats not right but still) so which current premiership clubs standout where Leicester seem to have failed?
I just think both Barnes & Leicester get a rough deal sometimes, Barnes i think we critise to hard compared to non top 6 club players as there isn't really anyone that produces for 38 games & then Leicester because there isn't another non top 6 club sat there with 2 or more wingers that are ripping it up.

Of all the players, especially in non Top 6 clubs i guess for me Mbeumo would standout with his goal/assists ratios but again is he classed as a classic winger, wasn't he more 2nd striker especially in the Championship?

ps. To save him coming up Eze is classed as central midfield so i'm lead to believe.

statistically Barnes is the best of the rest. But I think it’s fair to say that his all round game is a long way off of those other players. 

He’s still a huge asset to have and most clubs would be fine with that. But if his cut in and run isn’t working in a game he really can be anonymous.

He would be the type of player that would fail at man city. Because the manager asks for more and wants them to play to the best footballing decision on the pitch… not just cut and shoot on every occasion.

But I think if he goes to newcastle he flies into the england team. 

3 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

If we are serious about getting promoted at the first attempt we should do all we can to keep Barnes. We can’t just expect to get promoted with a whole new team. If he is desperate to leave however then fair enough but unless he really hates the place what’s he gonna gain by signing for a team like Villa? 

Premier League Football
European Football

A chance to play for England
More money

Alongside Maddison he's our biggest asset. He's young, English and statistically very good. His transfer fee will give us the opportunity to keep other players and recruit in other areas.

He is not going to want to stay in the Championship and nor should he. Despite what some think, he's a Premier League quality player.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...nothing brave about Barnes, he does not try things, if he cannot beat his man he gives up on himself!!!

He seems to play better with Nacho who allows him the opportunity to play a give-and-go, the only way he can get by the defender. In certain situations, he looks very good but those situations have to happen on a regular basis, as he drifts out of games too easily.

He would be a different kettle of fish centrally in the #10 role or as a second striker.

I'd argue that his bravery comes in the give-and-go moves that he is so good at. He regularly plays balls into high-risk central areas where he's then also relying on a perfect return pass and either outpacing or outmuscling a defender (or both) to get back on the ball and shoot across the keeper. I'd say these are brave moves as the risk of losing the ball is high, but he is excellent at it.

He knows he isn't a dribbler. Maybe if he were braver he would continue to try that side of things, but his bravery comes from the high-risk moves that he is so good at, in my opinion.

Edited by ALC Fox

24 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

West Ham favourites

“Leicester are thought to value Barnes at around £40 million but relegation means that figure is expected to drop with West Ham likely to start the bidding closer to £30 million.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/08/west-ham-transfer-news-harvey-barnes-race/

Keep him for that money, he will be worth more next year when we go back up.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Phil Bowman said:

Yeah but apart from that...?

At least , for a while , he won't get the slagging off he gets on here. Harvey has been consistently  called useless on here until he scores that is. You don't know what you've got until................

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

At least , for a while , he won't get the slagging off he gets on here. Harvey has been consistently  called useless on here until he scores that is. You don't know what you've got until................

True. And he wouldn't even need to move house. It's really more a question of what wouldn't he gain by moving to Villa?

I think we will really miss Barnes, his numbers are actually amazing when you consider other wingers and attacking players at other clubs. We won’t keep him but we should try everything we can do so. Fair enough we are related but we should be getting big money for him. I would be very disappointed if he left for anything under 35 to be honest. Especially when every is fine for Southampton to demand 50mill for someone like Lavia. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DezFox said:

I think we will really miss Barnes, his numbers are actually amazing when you consider other wingers and attacking players at other clubs. We won’t keep him but we should try everything we can do so. Fair enough we are related but we should be getting big money for him. I would be very disappointed if he left for anything under 35 to be honest. Especially when every is fine for Southampton to demand 50mill for someone like Lavia. 

Think it really depends how ****ed financially we are. 

If Maddison goes for say £50m, and we've cleared a lot of our wage budget. I don't see why would couldn't play with finances a bit and get money from likes of praet, ndidi, castagne to let us keep Barnes 

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

It's gonna be really galling to see our better players turning out for teams we've been outperforming year after year because we couldn't get our act together last season, what an absolute mess this club has made of things.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Horrific stuff. 

16 minutes ago, Tuna said:

It's gonna be really galling to see our better players turning out for teams we've been outperforming year after year because we couldn't get our act together last season, what an absolute mess this club has made of things.

Genuinely believe this will either be the shake up the club needed and we go back up, or we'll be crippled by this for 5-10 years.

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Genuinely believe this will either be the shake up the club needed and we go back up, or we'll be crippled by this for 5-10 years.

Thing is, I know we are all horrified by what the club has done in the last year and that Rudkin remains in charge of things, but it doesn't mean we can't still be successful - it all hinges on the managerial appointment and recruitment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Munshi said:

People will realise how good he actually is when he’s banging goals in for another side next year. Ungrateful bastards

I'm sure everyone appreciates his goals and assists which can't be questioned, if general all round player is shocking though. Half a brain in there and he'd be brilliant... seems to spend 89 minutes making nothing but wrong decisions. 

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

£30mil is laughable. Buendia who'd been relegated twice went for more.

The only good thing the club seems to have done in lately is get good fees for the better players. They just take too frigging long and god help us if their dithering will cost us the opportunities to start the actual desperate rebuild needed, while they want more transfer fees and not spending before. 

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

West Ham favourites

“Leicester are thought to value Barnes at around £40 million but relegation means that figure is expected to drop with West Ham likely to start the bidding closer to £30 million.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/08/west-ham-transfer-news-harvey-barnes-race/

If we sell him or Maddison for under 40 million then the club needs folding

• Like 1