Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Do You Have an Inner Monologue/Inner Voice?

Recently saw a couple of YouTube videos about how a surprisingly of number people don’t have inner voices inside their head which I find it hard to wrap my head around.

My inner voice is chirping on all day as I think over non-sequiturs, go over bad decisions over and over, talk as if I’m preparing to say things I’ll never say, telling myself stories etc. all day 

Also that when people read a lot of people only read the odd word, whereas I have to read it out word by word in my head (I’m a slow reader), which I found a little strange.

Also that some people can’t make pictures in the head or imagine images, which I’m not sure about. I can picture scenes and images, but not so much detail. 

Apparently research on this field is quite new, but thought it would be interesting to see how people differ. I’ve also seen people shocked that others have inner voices when they hear this, as they always thought it was artistic expression when you hear for example, Homer Simpson thinking in his head.

Here’s the couple of videos I was watching for reference

Edited by Sampson

I have been using a technique called noting to help with general anxiety and stress. Put simply when I have a thought I try and note whether it's actually a thought or a feeling and then whether it's negative, positive or neutral.  Then to come back to my breath and the moment.  Over time this is supposed to reduce the intensity of inner thoughts and feelings as you view them more objectively.  

What is remarkable is how much time I spend in my head.  It is almost impossible to use this technique all of the time because I'm always having some thought or other internally.  A lot of the times the thoughts seem to veer towards the negative, but that may be the ones I note more frequently in an attempt to reduce their intensity.  

Another thing to try is to note every time you stand or sit down.   Sounds simple. But if you have an inner monologue actually almost impossible.  Your mind will be far too busy elsewhere when you stand up or sit down to notice the change of position.  

The mind really is an incredible beast and some of us spend too much time within it.  

• Like 3

I do have inner monologue, think thoughts and speak to myself in my head but I don't know whether if what I experience is the same as you guys as I am deaf.  

I do not speak verbally so I would not really describe my inner monologue as a voice.   I think it is more of a conscience that I telepathically communicate with.   

On another note, I once read that Pixar CEO after realising that he cannot visualise stuff in his head, did the same test on his employees.   Most of them also cannot visualise either!

• Like 1

Do people actually hear voices in their minds?

I have inner thoughts, and I form sentences and debate back and forth over decisions or opinions...but I don't hear myself narrating it in my mind. I can imagine myself saying something...i'm doing it right now, but I don't hear an actual voice.

35 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Do people actually hear voices in their minds?

I have inner thoughts, and I form sentences and debate back and forth over decisions or opinions...but I don't hear myself narrating it in my mind. I can imagine myself saying something...i'm doing it right now, but I don't hear an actual voice.

Likewise. I instigate thoughts, but actual voices don't just randomly appear.

3 hours ago, The Blur said:

On another note, I once read that Pixar CEO after realising that he cannot visualise stuff in his head, did the same test on his employees.   Most of them also cannot visualise either!

That’s interesting. 

I had a conversation with my wife last month about exactly this. It was some kind of test for our kids that was undertaken. 

She asked about visualising real things (can you visualise a giraffe in your lounge) and imaginary things (the skyline of an alien planet). 

It turns out that only one of the four of us can do the visualisation thing - she was pretty surprised. 

Not sure where that takes us, tbh. But it was mildly interesting at the time 😃

I definitely have an inner monologue and have for years but more when I was working, anticipating what I could find on scene and re-assuring myself that I could manage it. Also running through treatments and actions I might need to use.

I guess that's like some have mentioned earlier in that you "discuss" possibilities with yourself. 

I also do a lot of unloading of thoughts and feelings via my inner voice.

What really annoys me though, is the inner voice that keeps singing the same damn 3 lines of a random song for, sometimes, several days.

For some inexplicable reason, I had Bob the ****ing Builder going round and round but only the "Bob the Builder, Can we do it, Yes we can" bit.

Now it's been replaced by lines from "True" and very briefly, "Copa Cabana". I haven't listened to either song for ages. Still, blessed relief from Bob.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

So if you have an inner monologue you are actually thinking in sentences, stringing words in your head? Because I don't have that.

I can imagine going for afternoon tea with Alex Jones off of the One Show and what that might be like, without sitting there thinking the actual words "oh here is Alex Jones off the One Show, she eats tiny sandwiches in a really nice way OH NO SHE'S TAKING THE LAST VANILLA SLICE YOU MASSIVE ******** ****** I knew I should have asked Emma Willis", and I'M the weirdo?!?!

• Haha 1