Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest glasgowfox

Danny Drinkwater

If there was any chance he could do a job at this level, Pearson would have been onto it.

At this level, if Pearson won’t take a chance, no one should..

He should get on the blower to Wrexham, maybe..

He played more games for us, than all of his other clubs combined.

He’s had a year out from the game and most likely not maintained the lifestyle of a top level professional footballer.

He’d still most likely be more mobile than Youri Tielemans in the 22/23 season.

His game wasn’t build on pace. 

The issues with him fighting at a nightclub, heatbutting Jota during training with Villa and then losing his driving licence for drink driving aren’t the reasons I doubt he’ll come back through. I was told he wasn’t a “team player” and not the best personality around the club. In contract to Simpson, who the club supported.

We’re building a new culture, If this is true, I doubt we even extend the olive branch to allow this to happen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Get him training with us from today, but him through the wringer. See what the end result is. Stranger things have happened.

I can’t see Maresca wanting that distraction. And unlike us, he won’t have any nostalgic feelings about Drinkwater. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

I can’t see Maresca wanting that distraction. And unlike us, he won’t have any nostalgic feelings about Drinkwater. 

Quite possibly. A lot depends on mentality, something Drinkwater is a fascinating case on. We know he's a complex character but in the right environment he's an absolute machine. Maresca's first comments were very precise on whoever is here under him has to have the right desire to play for Leicester or they're pretty much gone.

Now that doesn't mean when I pitch up at Seagrave weighing 14.5 stone later that I'll be allowed in, but he could quite possibly give someone a chance who's desperate to play for us and put him through his paces all summer and see what happens. It's hardly a distraction, there'll be 30 of them getting hammered day in, day out to get that fitness built up.

• Like 1

If it was Matty James or Kingy who we know are brilliant characters then I could get behind it but Drinky has always been a little more complex to manage.

Great player in his pomp for us, but I can't imagine him being buzzing to be here as 5th or 6th choice centre mid.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

More than likely, very difficult to have a year off at his age and come back and still cut it.

And when was the last time he did ‘cut it’? Many years ago sadly. He’s had a few chances post Chelsea to revive his career but has never looked a fraction of the player who was so instrumental in our title winning season. 

Wish him all the best and I hope he finds a place back in football again, but it won’t be with us. 

New manager couldn't give a toss about someone who played for us 6 years ago.

its clear to see already(Stowell, Sadler etc) he wants his own stamp on things and good on him.

8 minutes ago, Salieri said:

And when was the last time he did ‘cut it’? Many years ago sadly. He’s had a few chances post Chelsea to revive his career but has never looked a fraction of the player who was so instrumental in our title winning season. 

Wish him all the best and I hope he finds a place back in football again, but it won’t be with us. 

He had a good season at Reading 2 years ago from what I recall. 

Just now, LestaLad said:

How can you turn your nose up at Winks and Coady and then suggest Danny Drinkwater gets a chance😂

Hahahahaa I'm not suggesting he gets a chance at all other than allowing him to train here. It would be extraordinary for him to still be able to cut it but stranger things have happened.

He was described as a complex character by Nigel. He left for Chelsea for the money. He has been a mess since. If he was here under contract the club would support him but the risk is too great. He has moved on and so have we. 

2 minutes ago, markko said:

He was described as a complex character by Nigel. He left for Chelsea for the money. He has been a mess since. If he was here under contract the club would support him but the risk is too great. He has moved on and so have we. 

Not sure why everyone says this like it was unreasonable behaviour?  The wheels had already come off here with Claudio going; He got offered the chance to join Ngolo at a top club on top money with Champions League most seasons.  There are very few players who would not back themselves to make that move.  Just because it didn't work out for him doesn't mean it was somehow an illogical decision.  Where he has fallen down was not making a success of his loan moves and winning the chance to move to a good premier league club and move on with his career.

• Like 2

How did he actually do at Reading? Seemed like he played a full season of Championship football? I don’t think we should take him back I’m just genuinely curious. Does anyone know what the feedback was? 

Guessing he still thinks he's worth 75k a week. 

Not sure why he thinks we would offer him something when we've just let Mendy go free who was probably on half that. 

Edited by SK3Blue