Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

There are very few teams who go up from the Championship with a midfield containing the quality of Winks and KDH. That is if we do go up. Both are very good players and more than capable of playing at a higher level, comfortably. 

Ndidi also needed this season. Whether he can be as effective in his new role in the PL is going to be interesting. I think we do need a "big" CM signing. As well as a big CB signing and a striker if we go up. 

Winks has so far been a steal. 

I was gutted

5 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

I was bummed about losing madders for a low price to spuds and getting winksy in return not Knowing if he was any good but now wow what a great deal it was it a happy accident?

I was sad to lose Madders, but do i miss him now.......NO!!!!! The new signings, especially Harry have been brilliant.  He seems a lovely, humble guy too. Future captain 💙

1 hour ago, Hales said:

I was gutted

I was sad to lose Madders, but do i miss him now.......NO!!!!! The new signings, especially Harry have been brilliant.  He seems a lovely, humble guy too. Future captain 💙

Madders was a special player - the sort you build the team around and give freedom to. For me Winks is everything Youri / Soumare should have been last season, and i certainly don't miss those 2.

I do miss Madders though. Be nice for us to score from a free kick at some point!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If we were doing Player of the Season awards today, he’d get my vote. When it comes to a possession based system, he is absolutely pivotal to our team.

If we do get promoted though, will we get away with him as being our holding midfielder in the Premier League?

In a possession based system he is perfect, in the Premier League however; they’ll be so many times where we won’t dominate possession like we do in the Championship. 

It’s very easy to compare us to Burnley of last season for example. They dominated the possession statistics last season with an average of 65%. This season we’re currently 2nd on that statistic at 62%. Come the Premier League that number will more than likely drop by a considerable margin. 

With Burnley last season, Josh Cullen was vital to the way they played. Being that controller in a possession based system, exactly like Winks is doing with us. Come the Premier League, Burnley have taken a few heavy beatings, while more recently Josh Cullen has been dropped numerous times from their starting 11. 

More than likely presuming we get promoted, Winks’ role will more than likely change, when more emphasis will be put on him when it comes to defensive work. We know full well he is more of a midfield controller rather than an enforcer. 

Fulham for instance when they got promoted two seasons ago, they identified the defensive midfield role as an area of improvement, they managed to sign Palhinha who has gone on to become one of their most vital players. 

Does Winks have enough mobility to play as a DM in the Premier League, especially when it’s highly likely we won’t dominate possession like we’re currently doing in the Championship. 

As good as he has been this season, it’s an area of the team where something different is needed imo. 

6 hours ago, kingfox said:

If we were doing Player of the Season awards today, he’d get my vote. When it comes to a possession based system, he is absolutely pivotal to our team.

If we do get promoted though, will we get away with him as being our holding midfielder in the Premier League?

In a possession based system he is perfect, in the Premier League however; they’ll be so many times where we won’t dominate possession like we do in the Championship. 

It’s very easy to compare us to Burnley of last season for example. They dominated the possession statistics last season with an average of 65%. This season we’re currently 2nd on that statistic at 62%. Come the Premier League that number will more than likely drop by a considerable margin. 

With Burnley last season, Josh Cullen was vital to the way they played. Being that controller in a possession based system, exactly like Winks is doing with us. Come the Premier League, Burnley have taken a few heavy beatings, while more recently Josh Cullen has been dropped numerous times from their starting 11. 

More than likely presuming we get promoted, Winks’ role will more than likely change, when more emphasis will be put on him when it comes to defensive work. We know full well he is more of a midfield controller rather than an enforcer. 

Fulham for instance when they got promoted two seasons ago, they identified the defensive midfield role as an area of improvement, they managed to sign Palhinha who has gone on to become one of their most vital players. 

Does Winks have enough mobility to play as a DM in the Premier League, especially when it’s highly likely we won’t dominate possession like we’re currently doing in the Championship. 

As good as he has been this season, it’s an area of the team where something different is needed imo. 

If we go up and Ndidi signs a new deal, I don't see why Winks and Ndidi in a double pivot can't work. Ndidi is an exceptional ball winner and I hope this season has enabled him to regain his momentum and stamina to play that role. The question is whether Emzo would use him in that role, if he doesn't and sticks with just Winks then we will be exposed badly.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we go up and Ndidi signs a new deal, I don't see why Winks and Ndidi in a double pivot can't work. Ndidi is an exceptional ball winner and I hope this season has enabled him to regain his momentum and stamina to play that role. The question is whether Emzo would use him in that role, if he doesn't and sticks with just Winks then we will be exposed badly.

Would be interesting to see should he sign a new deal, whether or not Maresca would ever play Ndidi in that enforcer role. We all know how good he can be in terms of tackles & interceptions.

With what Maresca said last night regarding tiredness in midfield and needing a different solution, it felt like we were missing both a controller and enforcer in the midfield in the latter part of the game.

Winks as we know is very much a possession based footballer, out of possession I think he has his limitations, last night in particular him & Ricardo got exposed so badly in the last 20 minutes.

I feel an alternative to Winks is much needed, somebody who can do both in terms of being good in possession, but also that enforcer when out of possession.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...