Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

3 hours ago, trabuch said:

I've forgiven him. Just don't do it again! (I very much doubt he will)

Oh he will, they all will. Unfortunately it's part of the style we play. When it works, it looks amazing and gets the plaudits it deserves, and when this happens you move forward. We had both instances on Saturday. Sublime to the ridiculous. Part and parcel I'm afraid. 

• Like 3

Taking these risks leads to goals like Ricky's and like Vardy's against Stoke, where we beat the initial press and there's a huge space for a midfielder to run into. Both goals looked incredibly simple but began with how we aim to play the game.

So far, the way we play at the back has contributed to way more goals scored than conceded. It may be different in the Prem, but that's probably more of a problem that can be solved by players raising their games and the club recruiting better players.

Winks is dynamite at this level and we can forgive the odd slip-up. The pros are outweighing the cons.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Taking these risks leads to goals like Ricky's and like Vardy's against Stoke, where we beat the initial press and there's a huge space for a midfielder to run into. Both goals looked incredibly simple but began with how we aim to play the game.

So far, the way we play at the back has contributed to way more goals scored than conceded. It may be different in the Prem, but that's probably more of a problem that can be solved by players raising their games and the club recruiting better players.

Winks is dynamite at this level and we can forgive the odd slip-up. The pros are outweighing the cons.

To be fair, that's mainly because the finishing has been terrible on the many occasions we've gifted the opposition a free strike at goal.

It's essentially my main concern for next season when we'll be taking this risks in our half more and we'll be up against much better players.

Agree with the summary on Winks though, top lad and you can't blame people for genuine mistakes. He can't even be help accountable for the decision so he's golden.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

To be fair, that's mainly because the finishing has been terrible on the many occasions we've gifted the opposition a free strike at goal.

It's essentially my main concern for next season when we'll be taking this risks in our half more and we'll be up against much better players.

Agree with the summary on Winks though, top lad and you can't blame people for genuine mistakes. He can't even be help accountable for the decision so he's golden.

We’ll get punished for mistakes more but also more teams will press higher and we can play around to create more chances. Will be some painful goals conceded but hopefully some lovely goals scored like the second at Watford! 

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

We’ll get punished for mistakes more but also more teams will press higher and we can play around to create more chances. Will be some painful goals conceded but hopefully some lovely goals scored like the second at Watford! 

It's going to be fascinating to be honest, I'm just looking forward to seeing how we do against teams that we're not comfortably better than. 

The biggest compliment I can pay Enzo and the players is that they've made it look as easy as it probably should be so far. Winks, Hermansen, Mavididi and Fatawu have come in and become key players. There's probably plenty of managers that would not be making it look this easy. Equally, it's hard to tell how much is down to the system and how much is down to the massive advantage we have in terms of playing staff.

Next season is very exciting in that it'll be a complete unknown. The squad we have is capable of staying up and should be with reinforcements. The interesting thing will be to see how effective our system is when we're consistently playing against teams of similar and better quality.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I don't actually think that's accurate. Yes, we've definitely been let off a couple of teams this season, especially early on while we were having some teething problems. Cov at home especially was a good example of this.

But a lot of these moments that people act like we were close to conceding goals, I'd say watch them back and ask, were we really?

The way we're set up, I think one thing people are overlooking a lot, is that even if we DO give the ball away when we're playing matadors, there's usually people around to recover quickly. A big part of the philosophy of tiki-taka is that you're never really passing too far and you're passing in an organised block so if you do lose the ball, you've got players a short distance away to close in on whoever's taken it. Faes, JJ, Ricardo, Winks, etc, they've all gotten in last-second blocks and tackles that LOOK desperate because of the proximity to the goal but anywhere else on the pitch and you'd just go "yep, that's good recovery, that's how according to plan."

Even when people do get a shot off, it's often from a ridiculous angle that's quite hard to score from, probably ranks pretty low xG and Hermansen has it completely shut down or it goes way wide because it was a hard place to shoot from because the box was well covered.

As with a lot of things with our football, I think it has a habit of looking less comfortable than it really is.

Of course it'll be harder in the Premier League, everything is, but I wouldn't say I'm worried.

There's got to be a nerd on here that'd watch through every game and put me a compilation of chances created and chances conceded from our goal kicks?? 

Anyone? :D

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

There's got to be a nerd on here that'd watch through every game and put me a compilation of chances created and chances conceded from our goal kicks?? 

Anyone? :D

Cov at home and Sheff Wed away are the only games that spring to mind immediately to be honest.

Very fortunate to only concede one in both of those.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Looks knackered.

Can't do it all on his own.

He doesn’t do it on his own though, that’s the problem. He’s good at recycling the play but he’s not a creator nor a destroyer. Same with players like Wellens or Mendy, even Tielemans to an extent. You can appreciate them and what they add to your backbone when it’s going well but you also realise what you’re missing from players like that when they don’t go well. 

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Hope he's rested v Chelsea.

I would like us to give us the best chance to get to the semi final.. these opportunities don't come around that often.

Doesn't help when Ricardo is out, as he is criminally exposed. 

When we have the trio of Ricardo, Winks, Ndidi supporting KDH, and actually supporting each other, we will be stronger. They are a formidable bunch. 

40 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

I would like us to give us the best chance to get to the semi final.. these opportunities don't come around that often.

Neither does 9 games to secure promotion worth £200m and a financial lifeline for the club!

• Like 1