Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

53 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone else not bothered in the slightest if he doesn't get called up for England this season? He's got 46 games to play for us, he needs the breaks to rest up not be slogging it at SGP for a 5 min cameo. 

I don’t think an England call up would be a realistic possibility ? I mean, he’s been great but it’s the championship and England are pretty blessed at the moment in the middle. I don’t think the call for a call up is even justified given it is the championship.

Short answer: no. If Winks can replicate this form in the PL at some stage, then I’ll be demanding one and foaming at the mouth. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don’t think an England call up would be a realistic possibility ? I mean, he’s been great but it’s the championship and England are pretty blessed at the moment in the middle. I don’t think the call for a call up is even justified given it is the championship.

Short answer: no. If Winks can replicate this form in the PL at some stage, then I’ll be demanding one and foaming at the mouth. 

I don't think it's realistic either, but there are murmerings in this thread already and I just don't think we need to encourage it. Like you said maybe next year but let's get there first. 

5 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Foot and mouth is nasty.

6 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone else not bothered in the slightest if he doesn't get called up for England this season? He's got 46 games to play for us, he needs the breaks to rest up not be slogging it at SGP for a 5 min cameo. 

He's never ever going to get an England call up in the Championship. I don't know what about Southgate's squad selections over the last 4 years would even give you encouragement in thinking that. I'll quote you Southgate when asked why Maguire is still picked for England (back in Aug) "It's not an area we have massive depth in. Aside from Harry's performances for us there, we've lost John Stones to injury and Connor (Coady) to the Championship"

He's literally picking players who barely play for their clubs rather than experienced players at a lower level. He's got Henderson and Phillips in there ahead of Ward Prowse, and if he's not getting gametime for England as a Prem regular, Winks isn't even on the fringes.

Remember the heights Maddison had to hit to get in that World Cup squad? If he'd been at Spurs last season he'd have walked into that side but he was at the point of giving 2 or 3 post-match interviews almost begging for a chance.

• Like 2

On 30/10/2023 at 19:28, CosbehFox said:

Was thinking earlier that Brighton would/will kick themselves not signing Winks given how he’d fit their system. 

Given their MO they're more likely to sign Hayden Hackney in January.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Both him and Ricardo were excellent tonight. 

Both seem to either always have time on the ball, or even when pressed have the ability to nip it between the lines. 

The way Winks covers the pitch is outstanding, very rarely see him stand still. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CleudoG said:

Just watched latest Leicester’s the place on YouTube - a long interview with Harry Winks. Really comes across as an honest humble and intelligent guy, we are so lucky to have him. 

I watched that, found it absolutely mad how Leicester Gerry Taggart went when saying "Matty Elliott."

I’m not too bothered about the whole England thing. Breaking into that team would be very difficult even if we were in the premiership. 

I do think Winks has been one of our best buys in recent years though. I knew he was a skilful and tidy player but his tremendous tenacity and work rate have impressed me very much. Rapidly become one of my favourate players.