Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

2 hours ago, sphericalfox said:

He was on autopilot. Kick back to Mads. Mads wasn't there. A momentary brain fart. He'll learn from it. He's integral to the way we play. I hope we can find cover within the squad to give him a break when he needs it, cos when Winks hasn't played, we have looked a much lesser team.

He was clearly trying to play a pass out wide with his left foot, first time. It bobbled a bit, missed his left foot and hit his standing foot. Watch the replay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

Different interpretations then. I just took it to mean the ‘play’ was not good enough. Which of course it wasn’t but as I said above, not a reason to change what we are doing especially when the same player in the same scenario was key to our second goal. 

I agree that the poster was probably not being serious and/or only meant it in the way I have said. I do think the poster who told them to go and support another team however was being serious which is what I was picking up on.

I was only joking I think he is fantastic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Should we have not taken risks that created our 2nd goal then? In which case we're 1 nil up and playing the football you think we should play at that point which is to get it forward and out of harms way as soon as possible, which then means its coming back our way even quicker.

You can't be the buyer and the seller.

we arguably should have had another goal from a similar move from the back in this game as well...

Edited by ParkerPen
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

That not the stat though is it! 

It's about the amount combined with the accuracy of 90%

Plus the fact that "Championship history" means "since we've been keeping these sorts of records" which is probably about five seasons. Still impressive, though!

• Like 1

With the high risk style we play we will see the occasional one of these errors.  Fortunately we're restricting it to a couple of times a season rather than a couple of times a match like under BR.

Winks has been one of the stand out players of the season so he gets a pass on the odd mistake.

Basically we saw the best and the worst outcomes from our style of play yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Death by Football said:

With the high risk style we play we will see the occasional one of these errors.

I'd prefer us to take more risks in the oppositions half instead, we hardly tested Ben Hamer at all as we seem to be looking for the perfect opportunity to take a shot on goal, other than the penalty we only had a couple which is poor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Championship in its current iteration is 20 years old FYI 

I think his point was how long have they been counting passes per player / success of them?

20 years in the 2nd flight? Seems like a long time to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DesertFox said:

Plus the fact that "Championship history" means "since we've been keeping these sorts of records" which is probably about five seasons. Still impressive, though!

Call me cynical but I can't picture any perm-headed, moustached defensive midfielder in the 1940s outdoing Winks for pass completion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Call me cynical but I can't picture any perm-headed, moustached defensive midfielder in the 1940s outdoing Winks for pass completion. 

I think they had an extra Stat back then too. " kneecaps taken".

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I'd prefer us to take more risks in the oppositions half instead, we hardly tested Ben Hamer at all as we seem to be looking for the perfect opportunity to take a shot on goal, other than the penalty we only had a couple which is poor.

The whole point of the attacking part of our system is to reduce the chance of being caught on the transition / to concede too many turnovers of possession once we've committed players forward into the opposition half. It's why we will often recycle the ball multiple times and why we generally take fewer risks the further up the pitch. Especially important when 90% of the teams we face are set up to sit deep and try and hit us on the counter. 

This is also to account for our personnel, particularly Vestergaard in the centre of defence.

You will have seen in the early games of the season (Coventry H in particular) how vulnerable we look we caught on the transition, due to his lack of pace.