Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Callum Doyle

I don't think it was his defending that was his weakest attribute today - he made a fantastic double block at one point - it was his sloppy short passing.

And whilst he does look a bit slow, i don't think he's quite as bad as people make out.

As has been said, he's not played for months, i thought he did just fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Depend of the opposition for me away a Coventry I'd play Justin.

Against a weak team at home and I'd play Doyle.

A lot depends in whether we are getting Doyle back next season.

If not I play Justin and Nelson more.

I still think we should loan Nelson out, need to play as much as possible.

If doyle doesn't come back, we're still not going to want justin or nelson as our first choice LCB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Depend of the opposition for me away a Coventry I'd play Justin.

Against a weak team at home and I'd play Doyle.

A lot depends in whether we are getting Doyle back next season.

If not I play Justin and Nelson more.

I still think we should loan Nelson out, need to play as much as possible.

I think the problem with loaning Nelson out is that the teams he's been loaned to haven't given him a proper chance so far. Pretty sure he's had a league one loan (maybe two?) where he was not first choice and he is clearly championship quality.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not saying he isn't a quality player, but his current strengths are not the defensive side of the game. That is a concern.

Ben Nelson is a better defender than him and we own him. 

Doyle needs to improve defensively for us to consider purchasing him and use him in the PL if and when we go up. But the dilemma for me is, shouldn't we use this opportunity to develop Nelson between now and the end of the season?

Doyle, first game back after a nasty injury. Nelson first game ever, yet some can predict the future already? 

Think I'll trust the man that knows and watches them every day. Both decent prospects. 

For me it isn't about just today. He's looked a tad slow, overweight and cumbersome since August. He has a nice cross field ball on him but I think he looks too exposed as a wide left CD. He looks the sort who's happier in a defensive 2 and tighter protection. 

On 20/09/2023 at 22:24, Ric Flair said:

Surprised this hasn't had any posts in tonight. He was up there as MOTM tonight I reckon. Defensively he was everywhere. There's so many good performances tonight but on the back of some honkers, he was class.

On 20/09/2023 at 22:25, Col city fan said:

Completely agree. Hardly put a foot wrong.

He’ll become an established Premiership player  

On 20/09/2023 at 22:26, nathan. said:

Very good tonight.

Some solid blocks and very good with the ball.

On 20/09/2023 at 22:26, Tuna said:

Yep, was superb.

On 20/09/2023 at 22:26, miles2lcfc said:

Completely agree. Thought he was class with all aspects. Stopping and closing crosses, winning then, control of the ball, passing and making himself available.

On 20/09/2023 at 22:28, The People's Hero said:

Looked more decisive and assertive, perhaps even aggressive tonight. He's been a bit ponderous, listless and sort of indecisive for me previously. Looks like he's found his place.

Sort of the opposite of Casadei tonight really.

On 20/09/2023 at 22:29, foxfanazer said:

His best game for us for sure tonight

On 20/09/2023 at 22:39, casablancas said:

My MOTM tonight. Class

Just dragging forward some comments on Doyle right before he got injured.

We had just played Norwich away and won 2-0.

I note varied comments about his defensive ability before this.

• Like 3

He played well today considering he's coming back from injury, and that left foot of his does make a big difference to produce different passing angles.

He did get caught quite a few times, and it felt like all of Millwall's threats came down the left, but that's a joint responsibility of Wanya and Doyle, with some support from the middle of the park. I think if say, KDH and Mavididi had been in front of him, he wouldn't have been so exposed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Not saying he isn't a quality player, but his current strengths are not the defensive side of the game. That is a concern.

Ben Nelson is a better defender than him and we own him. 

Doyle needs to improve defensively for us to consider purchasing him and use him in the PL if and when we go up. But the dilemma for me is, shouldn't we use this opportunity to develop Nelson between now and the end of the season?

What on earth can you base this statement on? Complete rubbish.

Doyle was rusty and a weak link today no doubt but I’m reading several comments saying he looked suspect defensively pre injury which I completely disagree with.

He’s very good on and off the ball.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

What on earth can you base this statement on? Complete rubbish.

Doyle was rusty and a weak link today no doubt but I’m reading several comments saying he looked suspect defensively pre injury which I completely disagree with.

He’s very good on and off the ball.

I can base that statement on watching Ben Nelson a lot in the academy, im a huge fan of him. It's understandable to be surprised by my comments for those that havent followed his acadamy career and his exploits last season but i'll die on this hill. Nelson is a huge talent. Doyle is promising, his ability on the ball going forward is top drawer.

However Doyle is just 6 months older than him with 2.5 full seasons worth of senior football under his belt and yet I think the defensive side of the game is what he needs to sharpen up on. His lack of pace cannot be changed and isn't a massive concern as there's plenty of attributes that can make up for that. He's been beaten in the air for 4 goals now which we'd be naive to ignore. 

Anyway, as you and others have said it's his 1st start for 3+ months and he put in some excellent displays before his injury, as well as a few iffy ones. At this level I've no doubt he's good enough. But as he isn't our player, Ben Nelson is and not been given anywhere near enough 1st team football yet, the dilemma is what to do with Doyle, Nelson and Justin for the rest of the season.

The logical and most likely move is Nelson on loan to a quality League One team, then Doyle to challenge Justin for that LCB role. What we gain with Justin's pace for bailing out the defence, we lose Doyle's ability on the ball going forward.

It's a nice problem for Maresca to have but of all the academy players coming through, Nelson is the most ready and we shouldn't hold him back. 

• Like 2

Out of interest, was Coady or Nelson in the middle today? 

I almost think the wide centre back positions are the hardest to play in this team. Practically playing 2 positions and have lots of responsibility. Part of Doyles problem is he is more of a traditional centre Defender, albeit decent on the ball. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 2

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

I almost think the wide centre back positions are the hardest to play in this time. Practically playing 2 positions and have lots of responsibility. Part of Doyles problem is he is more of a traditional centre Defender, albeit decent on the ball. 

Nelson RCB, Coady central and Doyle on the left.

To be fair to Enzo @Ric Flair with the mess he inherited, he was never going to gamble on Nelson when he the chance to bring in Doyle on loan with a season in the Championship and League 1 behind him and then JJ who been capped for England. 

Only critisim on Enzo would be he could have given him both league cup games.

Hopefully playing today and another FA Cup game could give us a good shop window to find him a decent loan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

I almost think the wide centre back positions are the hardest to play in this team. Practically playing 2 positions and have lots of responsibility. Part of Doyles problem is he is more of a traditional centre Defender, albeit decent on the ball. 

I'd say the inverted Full back role is as hard.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

To be fair to Enzo @Ric Flair with the mess he inherited, he was never going to gamble on Nelson when he the chance to bring in Doyle on loan with a season in the Championship and League 1 behind him and then JJ who been capped for England. 

Only critisim on Enzo would be he could have given him both league cup games.

Hopefully playing today and another FA Cup game could give us a good shop window to find him a decent loan.

Got no issue with anything up to Doyle's injury. Since then I thought Nelson could have got a few more chances than  he did, but to Enzo's credit he tends to give players a good amount of playing time when they come in so they aren't just snatching at bit part opportunities which is often difficult.

Look at what he's done with Daka and Cannon. Their goals have left many of us scratching our heads why they weren't given opportunities earlier (certainly in Daka's case) but Enzo has let Vardy and Iheanacho have nearly half a season and if they now drop to 3rd and 4th choice they can't accuse him of not having given them a chance.

Justin came in and has been immense since that return from the last international break. I'm just a bit surprised Nelson got absolutely nothing until recently. Anyway, today's performance won't have done him any harm, Enzo likely to reward him again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Got no issue with anything up to Doyle's injury. Since then I thought Nelson could have got a few more chances than  he did, but to Enzo's credit he tends to give players a good amount of playing time when they come in so they aren't just snatching at bit part opportunities which is often difficult.

Look at what he's done with Daka and Cannon. Their goals have left many of us scratching our heads why they weren't given opportunities earlier (certainly in Daka's case) but Enzo has let Vardy and Iheanacho have nearly half a season and if they now drop to 3rd and 4th choice they can't accuse him of not having given them a chance.

Justin came in and has been immense since that return from the last international break. I'm just a bit surprised Nelson got absolutely nothing until recently. Anyway, today's performance won't have done him any harm, Enzo likely to reward him again.

I think Daka was on the naughty step for wanting to go in the summer.

I get the feeling Enzo like to spend a lot of time getting to know a player, and to work with them in the training pitch.

Edited by coolhandfox

he should play it the ways Faes does when on the left, worry less about supporting the full back wide and be more of a CB, his natural left sided balance will be a huge benefit just doing that

Thing with Ricky and JJ is that they are also good at running forward into the box area and can also score great goals. This is what Callum doesnt quite do and that's why he's backup pick for me.

Callum is good at ball distribution though

On 06/01/2024 at 20:15, Jimmy said:

he should play it the ways Faes does when on the left, worry less about supporting the full back wide and be more of a CB, his natural left sided balance will be a huge benefit just doing that

Depend on what his being ask to do, he maybe being ask to play differently to Faes.

29 minutes ago, HarryDee8 said:

Thing with Ricky and JJ is that they are also good at running forward into the box area and can also score great goals. This is what Callum doesnt quite do and that's why he's backup pick for me.

Callum is good at ball distribution though

At present….Lets see his career develope and progress..

At present any fan picking out off the peg headlines, like many after just 20 games this season are finding the pegs are bending somewhat while their carriers are gathering important experience.

So far no players has stood still..Thank god Enzo is our manager…