Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trelleh

EFL Officiating Abomination Journal 23/24

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

1) Completely ignoring Yunus (until Ricardo's injury) after he'd finally started impacting on games with back to back goals vs Brum and Swansea, despite our midfielders and wingers faltering

2) Tom Cannon as a left winger at 2 nil down vs Middlesborough. He only became effective when we made a daft of other changes and he dropped in (his best position) behind Vardy.

3) Taking liberties with Ricardo's fitness, the only first team player to have been given barely any rest in recent months and played every FA Cup game. Even admitted his injury was likely due to playing too much.

4) Talking nonsense before the Leeds game claiming it wasn't a big game for us, fine to play mind games if it pays off but he's an inexperienced manager with a squad who's got a suspect record in big games and once again we threw it away in chaotic fashion.

5) Complete disregard of using our squad like he did earlier in the season. We've gone from scoring frequently to only scoring more than one once in the last 6 games and conceding more than 2 goals 6 times in the last 16 games having taken 21 games to concede more than 1 goal. 

I wouldn't mind but our best performance and result of late was from our fringe players and their reward? Completely ignored in other games whilst the preferred XI splutter all over the place.

6) The use or non-useage of Conor Coady is bizarre. He signed him, he was brought in for leadership and that's exactly what we need right now. His last 2 games he's played he has defended excellently and we've won them both to nil. His reward? Wout Faes coming straight back in and being at fault for goals. It's either stubbornness or stupidity from him at this stage. Faes performance on Saturday was beggars belief and still refused to replace him. 

This first bit has been pretty much justified though given his lack of impact in the games he's been playing recently.

The rest is pretty bang on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Saturday 

The quality is exceedingly poor, as simple as that 

I'm not defining a howler as soft debatable penalties. More the clear and obvious ones such as those not given for us (Ipswich, B'ham as examples). The Daka 'offside' goal at Leeds, that was a howler. 

How many of those have gone for us this season? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I'm not defining a howler as soft debatable penalties. More the clear and obvious ones such as those not given for us (Ipswich, B'ham as examples). The Daka 'offside' goal at Leeds, that was a howler. 

I can only really think of a couple. Faes maybe should have conceded a penalty in a home game earlier this season (might have been Sunderland H?) and Fatawu got away with a nasty challenge in a home game that should have been a red (think maybe Plymouth H?) 

15 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I agree with your definition of howler for pens.

Re the Daka goal, I was initially really annoyed but even then, I can see why the lineman’s got it wrong. It was a crowded situation and they don’t have the benefit of seeing it again. Perhaps the referees view was better?

8 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I can only really think of a couple. Faes maybe should have conceded a penalty in a home game earlier this season (might have been Sunderland H?) and Fatawu got away with a nasty challenge in a home game that should have been a red (think maybe Plymouth H?) 

I think Fatawu was actually Hull at home, on his debut lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think Fatawu was actually Hull at home, on his debut lol

I winced the moment his feet left the ground as you knew exactly what he was going to do.

He also hit the post a little earlier. It was a debut that could have been absolutely brilliant or a complete disaster, but somehow was neither (although we all came away thinking he was going to be brilliant).

45 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I agree with your definition of howler for pens.

Re the Daka goal, I was initially really annoyed but even then, I can see why the lineman’s got it wrong. It was a crowded situation and they don’t have the benefit of seeing it again. Perhaps the referees view was better?

I'm still annoyed, the replays make it apparent that the lino can maybe see half of Hamza behind Summerville at most, and from that they'd adjudged it to be offside. 

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I disagree. Yunus is incredibly frustrating with how wasteful he is in front of gosl but his ability to press and retain possession in tight spaces is something we either lack in general right now or certainly struggle to maintain for the entire 90 mins. 

He doesn't work as a pairing with KDH but as a replacement for him and/or pushed as a 10 with someone like Ndidi or Hamza dropping in alongside Winks gives us an able option.

This is why i would like to see Yunus, Ndidi and Winks in the Chelsea game, even if we only do it for 60 mins or so. I think Yunus could be a real surprise with the better setup around him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

1) Completely ignoring Yunus (until Ricardo's injury) after he'd finally started impacting on games with back to back goals vs Brum and Swansea, despite our midfielders and wingers faltering

2) Tom Cannon as a left winger at 2 nil down vs Middlesborough. He only became effective when we made a daft of other changes and he dropped in (his best position) behind Vardy.

3) Taking liberties with Ricardo's fitness, the only first team player to have been given barely any rest in recent months and played every FA Cup game. Even admitted his injury was likely due to playing too much.

4) Talking nonsense before the Leeds game claiming it wasn't a big game for us, fine to play mind games if it pays off but he's an inexperienced manager with a squad who's got a suspect record in big games and once again we threw it away in chaotic fashion.

5) Complete disregard of using our squad like he did earlier in the season. We've gone from scoring frequently to only scoring more than one once in the last 6 games and conceding more than 2 goals 6 times in the last 16 games having taken 21 games to concede more than 1 goal. 

I wouldn't mind but our best performance and result of late was from our fringe players and their reward? Completely ignored in other games whilst the preferred XI splutter all over the place.

6) The use or non-useage of Conor Coady is bizarre. He signed him, he was brought in for leadership and that's exactly what we need right now. His last 2 games he's played he has defended excellently and we've won them both to nil. His reward? Wout Faes coming straight back in and being at fault for goals. It's either stubbornness or stupidity from him at this stage. Faes performance on Saturday was beggars belief and still refused to replace him. 

I respect your opinions Ric but surely you can see some resoning in your points.

1) It's about all he's done since he's been here, did you see that shot on Saturday, I'm not saying he's an awful player but you can see why others have had time there.

2) I think this was because we were getting the opportunity for Fatawu to put crosses into the far post. Playing him there gave us the opportunity to keep a central striker and have someone to capitalise on the crosses.

3) Ricardo has been so good I can see why he's had to play him.

4) I don't see what the problem with the talking was. We dominated most of the game and missed a number of chances that were easier to score. We also had a perfectly good goal ruled out. The finishing and officiating were hardly his fault.

5) If he makes changes he gets criticism as well though. We should be scoring far more than we have been. Look at the XG for the last few games and the opponents. We've created loads of decent chances. It's not his fault if we miss them, it's not been one player but most of our forwards and wingers have missed sitters.

6) But who would you drop? I give you after Saturday, Faes, but before then he'd had some good games.

You have some foir points but I think you're being a bit harsh on him. It's his first season. Look at how bad we were before came and were still top.

We should have beaten Middleboro and Leeds easily, QPR scored with their only 2 on target shots against us. Even on Saturday as bad as we were, Hull only had an XG of 1.2 to our 2.03.

Luck and officiating haven't been going our way recently but I can't see that Enzo is doing too much wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I disagree. Yunus is incredibly frustrating with how wasteful he is in front of gosl but his ability to press and retain possession in tight spaces is something we either lack in general right now or certainly struggle to maintain for the entire 90 mins. 

He doesn't work as a pairing with KDH but as a replacement for him and/or pushed as a 10 with someone like Ndidi or Hamza dropping in alongside Winks gives us an able option.

also lets be right, Yunus actually looks for a progressive pass and works in midfield, unlike Praet, who at times looks half arsed for me

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

tbh we've had alot more go against us this season compared to go for.

its actually getting out of hand the amount of honking decisions we've had go against us this season and general bad luck with deflections/causing our own problems

Edited by FrankieADZ

6 hours ago, Trev3939 said:

that is not a pen and I am convinced that if that was against us and given everyone on here would go on meltdown. Just need to accept that we lost because we lost not just because we weren't given a pen 

He clearly kicks Vardy with no attempt to play the ball. Foul anywhere else on the pitch.

• Haha 1

On 10/03/2024 at 16:29, Nalis said:

Oh come on, he made the most of it but even with my blue tinted specs he was definitely clipped by Hamza who knew exactly what he was doing.

The only contact by hamza was a hand on the shoulder, absolutely no clip

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

The only contact by hamza was a hand on the shoulder, absolutely no clip

There was a subtle tangling of legs where Hamza knew exactly what he was doing just before he put his hand in his shoulder. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Should of had one at home to Milwall, Harding on Fatawu, the bloke on comms for Sky was more annoyed then us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Should of had one at home to Milwall, Harding on Fatawu, the bloke on comms for Sky was more annoyed then us.

Should’ve been a second yellow for him for that as well

16 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

I respect your opinions Ric but surely you can see some resoning in your points.

1) It's about all he's done since he's been here, did you see that shot on Saturday, I'm not saying he's an awful player but you can see why others have had time there.

2) I think this was because we were getting the opportunity for Fatawu to put crosses into the far post. Playing him there gave us the opportunity to keep a central striker and have someone to capitalise on the crosses.

3) Ricardo has been so good I can see why he's had to play him.

4) I don't see what the problem with the talking was. We dominated most of the game and missed a number of chances that were easier to score. We also had a perfectly good goal ruled out. The finishing and officiating were hardly his fault.

5) If he makes changes he gets criticism as well though. We should be scoring far more than we have been. Look at the XG for the last few games and the opponents. We've created loads of decent chances. It's not his fault if we miss them, it's not been one player but most of our forwards and wingers have missed sitters.

6) But who would you drop? I give you after Saturday, Faes, but before then he'd had some good games.

You have some foir points but I think you're being a bit harsh on him. It's his first season. Look at how bad we were before came and were still top.

We should have beaten Middleboro and Leeds easily, QPR scored with their only 2 on target shots against us. Even on Saturday as bad as we were, Hull only had an XG of 1.2 to our 2.03.

Luck and officiating haven't been going our way recently but I can't see that Enzo is doing too much wrong.

I follow a clear pattern, when things are good I will go over the top with my praise. When things regress/are poor etc then I probably go over the top in my criticism.

As always somewhere in the middle is fair. There are other fans that do the 1st part and then staunchly defend any criticism and I'm not sure that in the long run does any good either.

I'm not saying Enzo is crap, all I'm saying is the last month he's showing his inexperience/making mistakes and I expect to see a change after the international break. He's going to get things wrong, especially when he's new to being a manager but I liken this to a player going in and out of form. We'd discuss a players performances both good and bad and when bad suggest they need to get their finger out/be dropped and I don't view managers much differently.

I'm confident Enzo will find a solution in the next few weeks for the final run-in.

• Like 2

The only solution, although there'll be cries of 'corruption' whatever the situation, is to get VAR in the Championship. Suspect match officials won't want it but generally it would quieten conspiracy theories like this topic. Unless match officials are being bribed in some way or they have a dislike of any particular team (and, on here, it's always City who are 'victims' of injustice) then talk of corruption is nonsense. Incompetence is a matter of opinion but bias of the fans will always exaggerate examples of that and its frequency.

The FA/EFL should consider it a priority and fund it. Football is vastly rich in this country so there's no real excuse for not consistently installing it in, at least, the Championship.

The other thing is that match officials are human and therefore as fallible as players, coaches and spectators. When all other targets for blame are exhausted they'll get highlighted for any and every 'mistake' they make which could have contributed to our misfortune. But without them the games would be free for alls. They're not a necessary evil - they're an essential part of the game.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I follow a clear pattern, when things are good I will go over the top with my praise. When things regress/are poor etc then I probably go over the top in my criticism.

As always somewhere in the middle is fair. There are other fans that do the 1st part and then staunchly defend any criticism and I'm not sure that in the long run does any good either.

I'm not saying Enzo is crap, all I'm saying is the last month he's showing his inexperience/making mistakes and I expect to see a change after the international break. He's going to get things wrong, especially when he's new to being a manager but I liken this to a player going in and out of form. We'd discuss a players performances both good and bad and when bad suggest they need to get their finger out/be dropped and I don't view managers much differently.

I'm confident Enzo will find a solution in the next few weeks for the final run-in.

Hope so, all the best.

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

The only solution, although there'll be cries of 'corruption' whatever the situation, is to get VAR in the Championship. Suspect match officials won't want it but generally it would quieten conspiracy theories like this topic. Unless match officials are being bribed in some way or they have a dislike of any particular team (and, on here, it's always City who are 'victims' of injustice) then talk of corruption is nonsense. Incompetence is a matter of opinion but bias of the fans will always exaggerate examples of that and its frequency.

The FA/EFL should consider it a priority and fund it. Football is vastly rich in this country so there's no real excuse for not consistently installing it in, at least, the Championship.

The other thing is that match officials are human and therefore as fallible as players, coaches and spectators. When all other targets for blame are exhausted they'll get highlighted for any and every 'mistake' they make which could have contributed to our misfortune. But without them the games would be free for alls. They're not a necessary evil - they're an essential part of the game.

So although there is corruption in every other organisation, the more money and power the more corruption, you think there is none in football?