Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-67003054

A collection of football memorabilia, including a medal from Leicester City's 1936-37 promotion-winning season, will be sold at auction. 

The catalogue of items belonged to David "Dai" Owen Jones, who played for the Foxes and the Welsh national team in the 1930s and 1940s. 

Born in Cardiff in 1910, Jones moved to the club in May 1933 for a fee of £250.

The sale will take place at Gildings Auctioneers in Market Harborough on Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2023 at 16:08, CrazyKopCorner said:

Let’s face it anyone who says we should have kept Brendan and we’d have survived doesn’t know their arse from their elbow and should be pitied as a fool 

Even Me Fuchsntf defended him to a point upto November + 25% after WCup return 2 games..I actually stopped believing him by October 22,but thought he could find something to change his own star around…Even now I believe many OTT cynical posted arguments were wrong. But he had lost me by October…

I stayed disappointed/frustrated like many,that after the beginning of Febuary this year ,each week he was still our manager,but hoping against all odds he would find a way to get our individual stars, >>to earn their right of being boxed in that extra special class<< to produce just enough to hold a run,that C.Palace actually found.

Even if he did,by EoJanuary,I didn’t want him to ever have this new season..

I don’t have any idea how this new manager & his philosophy & System will pan out,we IMO still hold it too long at the back Rodgers style,but even there we see improvement.

This…Enzo who ,really…! doubt did. hang around for awhile,where strangely I never doubted Ranieri,could,would make us into a strong PL club( title never..:blush:)

A big but, I wanted this guys system & philosophy to work & seen the potential including rekindling some lost Leicester careers.

Vestergaard..!! Never !! I thought he felt himself lost..But Hats off to him..

Soyuncu…hope he could of been persuaded to stay.

Souttar & Faes…No real doubt if they were willing to stay..

Vardy,Ricardo,Ndidi ,KDH.Justin,Choudhury & Daka,…wanted them all to stay to prove many wrong & show they have it still..

Barnes…wish he had stayed

Nacho…I wouldn’t have been disappointed if he had gone,but I just like the character of the guy..

All The-new guys…at present no doubts about the positivity they will bring this season, each one have something different to offer and prepared to listen and take on & learn together Enzoball..

Academy players…Thankfully the door has reopened for them,at present we have found a new young hero in Mcateer, fans love having a favourite giving his all and showing potential…Cult wise, what we miss with Barnes ,Big Mac can deliver..

Enzo shown he will also ask others the big question

So like Wanya, others  also will get their  chance to wear the Foxes 1st team shirt..

I thought I would be gone by last Xmas, yes I have spent summer in hospital,

( out on Friday to my wife & family) with hope those happy hunting grounds can wait awhile,  

So I can tell the devil,you have only got me…but back up there,we have a cunning fox called Enzo & a Backline that could lead a foxtrot to Walzing  Mathilda….

Plus Tigers are up and roaring again…:bounce:

• Like 2

Taken from the Preston forum.

Got home 30 minutes ago. What a dreadful journey getting our of Leicester on the coaches that was. Horrific. Big shout out to the bus driver who I reckon shaved off 40 minutes of queuing by driving on the opposite side of the road for a stretch. Legend.

I can't really add anything to the game itself that everyone else already said. What I will say is: Leicester's match day experience and stadium shits all over ours. 2 massive screens. An ultras section in the home end. A stadium that's clean and, well, stunning really. They even had fire display on the pitch before the game. And the food on the concourse was excellent quality. Yeah I know they've been in the Prem and won it, but just shows what investment can do and how big the gulf is now. I remember it was only 15 years ago Leicester were in league 1 / meandering in the championship like us.

Also side note. Nipped in to the PNE club shop prior to departing Preston earlier in the day in the hopes of getting my Dad something for his birthday. The shop LITERALLY had shirts and kits and that's it. No merch at all. No scarves, hats, books... not even a pne branded pencil. Leicester's shop on the other hand was massive and looking stocked to the brim with stuff. Big L.

Apologies for the relative negativity. It just depresses me how far ahead some other clubs are... makes me wish it was us. Anyway off to bed I go... up in 5 hours for work. At least Leicester have never won the double! Have they f**k!

Can't work out if that's a genuine match day experience blog or Lyrics by The Smiths but it makes for depressing reading for them lol

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Got home 30 minutes ago. What a dreadful journey getting our of Leicester on the coaches that was. Horrific. Big shout out to the bus driver who I reckon shaved off 40 minutes of queuing by driving on the opposite side of the road for a stretch. Legend.

I can't really add anything to the game itself that everyone else already said. What I will say is: Leicester's match day experience and stadium shits all over ours. 2 massive screens. An ultras section in the home end. A stadium that's clean and, well, stunning really. They even had fire display on the pitch before the game. And the food on the concourse was excellent quality. Yeah I know they've been in the Prem and won it, but just shows what investment can do and how big the gulf is now. I remember it was only 15 years ago Leicester were in league 1 / meandering in the championship like us.

Also side note. Nipped in to the PNE club shop prior to departing Preston earlier in the day in the hopes of getting my Dad something for his birthday. The shop LITERALLY had shirts and kits and that's it. No merch at all. No scarves, hats, books... not even a pne branded pencil. Leicester's shop on the other hand was massive and looking stocked to the brim with stuff. Big L.

Apologies for the relative negativity. It just depresses me how far ahead some other clubs are... makes me wish it was us. Anyway off to bed I go... up in 5 hours for work. At least Leicester have never won the double! Have they f**k!

Can't work out if that's a genuine match day experience blog or Lyrics by The Smiths but it makes for depressing reading for them lol

I guess it’s a gulf that you would expect given the relative wealth of the people who own the clubs. 

Also the traffic situation is honestly horrific. How somebody didn’t come up with a mitigating compromise to the roadworks on match days is crazy. 

Just now, Lionator said:

I guess it’s a gulf that you would expect given the relative wealth of the people who own the clubs. 

Also the traffic situation is honestly horrific. How somebody didn’t come up with a mitigating compromise to the roadworks on match days is crazy. 

Not sure I've ever heard our stadium be called "stunning" though lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Not sure I've ever heard our stadium be called "stunning" though lol

My mate is a Liverpool season ticket holder who went to the community shield game and he went out his way to say how he enjoyed the stadium. I personally don’t see it myself but it could just because I’m used to it. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

My mate is a Liverpool season ticket holder who went to the community shield game and he went out his way to say how he enjoyed the stadium. I personally don’t see it myself but it could just because I’m used to it. 

Yeah maybe it's that. I guess it's not awful and to be fair it's packed full of memories already in it's relatively short history 

8 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

We're a far far bigger club than Preston so it's bewildering that they're comparing our stadium and club shop to theirs. It'd be like us comparing ourselves to Chelsea matchday experience.

I know I've been big on this forum of not getting involved in what internet people/clickbaiters think of us, but the PNE default position of "yeah course you beat us the team is worth a billion quid" is quite sweet.

Well, yeah? Like, we won the league and had years of stable PL football and got relegated after one bad season, keeping most of our key/good players. We're naturally going to be miles better in quality, with increased buying power and attraction for players to join us. What are they expecting? Us to bin off every player and buy like a meandering championship club?

The fact we're down here is our fault but it's an aberration and we've put ourselves in a position to saunter straight back at the first attempt, and we're going to enjoy and celebrate it as much as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koke said:

We're a far far bigger club than Preston so it's bewildering that they're comparing our stadium and club shop to theirs. It'd be like us comparing ourselves to Chelsea matchday experience.

Yes we are however that’s not to say we haven’t made leaps and bounds in the last 10 years or so which is the point he makes.

I remember my mate got married in 2013 he wanted to get me and the other best man a present from our respective teams’ shop (the other best man is a Villa fan). He wanted to get us something drink related, so the Villa fan gets a nice whiskey glass set in a gift box. I end up with something from unofficial from EBay because our club merch was so lacking (well either that or that was his excuse and he prefers the other mate!)😂

Also the badge came off after a few goes in the dishwasher! Ah great present  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

I know I've been big on this forum of not getting involved in what internet people/clickbaiters think of us, but the PNE default position of "yeah course you beat us the team is worth a billion quid" is quite sweet.

Well, yeah? Like, we won the league and had years of stable PL football and got relegated after one bad season, keeping most of our key/good players. We're naturally going to be miles better in quality, with increased buying power and attraction for players to join us. What are they expecting? Us to bin off every player and buy like a meandering championship club?

The fact we're down here is our fault but it's an aberration and we've put ourselves in a position to saunter straight back at the first attempt, and we're going to enjoy and celebrate it as much as possible.

You could say Rodgers only had one bad season Celtic  in  Scotland I  would suggest are similar to us in  the Championship   and they in my opinion wont be much difference   at the end of the season although they are in Europe    as well

5 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I prefer to have a little bit of humility as we’re currently competing at the same level. Being “bigger” didn’t help us evade relegation and won’t guarantee that we finish above the Championship stalwarts 

It’s not that long ago that we were competing in a dilapidated old stadium (as much as I loved Filbo) and Preston looked far more likely to trouble the Premier League than we did. 

It’s only really the last 30 years that we’ve established ourselves as very definitively “bigger” than clubs like Preston. That’s why relegation hurt so much more than it might have done under previous regimes and at previous stages in our evolution. 

Good post, but 30 years is quite a long time - about 22% of the entire lifetime of the English football league. 

25 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Good post, but 30 years is quite a long time - about 22% of the entire lifetime of the English football league. 

Yep - that kind of misses the point really. In 1993 we were playing in the 2nd tier, in front 15000 crowds and a single League Cup win was our only significant honour.

Since then we’ve won 2 League Cups, 1 PL title, 1 FA Cup, played in the Champions League, built a new stadium, doubled the average attendance, got billionaire foreign owners and massively increased our profile across the World.  

Our profile and prominence has dramatically increased, but it was a gradual process over time. We didn’t achieve it all in the summer of 1993.