Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 4

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

A good correction…. They were the last to win the old division…

And modern era is declared to be be after the inception of the Premier League

i withdraw my statement!

Winning the title that year was a good achievement and nothing to be sniffed at. But they have nothing on us in the modern era. 

9 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Winning the title that year was a good achievement and nothing to be sniffed at. But they have nothing on us in the modern era. 

Forgive me if I am wrong but didn’t they start overspending beyond their means when Howard Wilkinson came in as boss in 1988; they were Second Division Champions as a result in a Gordon Strachan moneybags team in 1990, before finally winning it in 1992 - then leading to their real financial problems of 2003 as a result under the stewardship of Peter Ridsdale

I wish we'd stop all this talk about Leeds United!

I am a True Blue Leicester fan, and have been for 54 years, so it pains me to admit (and makes me feel a little dirty) that the following team was probably the greatest side (ok, trophies apart) to grace British football, EVER:

Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray.  Sub: Madeley   Manager: our very own Don Revie.

Sorry!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

I am a True Blue Leicester fan, and have been for 54 years, so it pains me to admit (and makes me feel a little dirty) that the following team was probably the greatest side (ok, trophies apart) to grace British football, EVER:

Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray.  Sub: Madeley   Manager: our very own Don Revie.

Sorry!!

It wasn’t bad at all!

Certainly of its time 

Quite a different game in those days and that was a team that knew how to handle itself 

21 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Sorry!!

You should have stopped after the first line!lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bilo said:

**** me, they're more rattled than Banksy's paint can.

We “nearly bottled a 17 point lead”

Ah… but the point is … we didn’t!!!! 

:scarf:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

Sorry!!

Sprake was Danny Ward level of crap 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It wasn’t bad at all!

Certainly of its time 

Quite a different game in those days and that was a team that knew how to handle itself 

The only team I can name. A great footballing team, remember that 70 ish pass goal, but were also tough. Nicked Allan Clarke off us for a record fee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

The only team I can name. A great footballing team, remember that 70 ish pass goal, but were also tough. Nicked Allan Clarke off us for a record fee.

Liverpool had a great team that followed them from the mid seventies under shankly. Once revie left, leeds drifted down 

5 hours ago, SuperMike said:

Sorry!!

'Greatest side', that didn't win much?! :blink:

I don't remember anyone using the word 'grace' in the same sentence when discussing that era Leeds team. Nasty, horrible team that invented the professional foul. Rightly remembered as dirty Leeds.

• Like 2

Leeds were at their best from 1964 - 1975.

2 x winners of Division 1 and an FA Cup, League Cup and 

5 x runners up in League 1 and, 3 x FA Cup finalist, one League cup finalist and a European cup winners finalist.

In that period though, they lost the title against multiple other teams. It’s not like they lost against the same team continually.

They were certainly at their best under Don Revie but I guess like Nigel Pearson for us, Revie didn’t exactly set the world alight elsewhere.

He build a robust (dirty Leeds) team that had a culture of togetherness but that didn’t translate to the England national job. 

The Premier League is better for having them in it as a fan base, as they are unique. They still have that “we all hate Leeds” attitude, despite that culture and playing style being long gone.