Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Tielemans

38 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Rodgers sucked the life out of the whole squad last season, Youri was poor and it cost him a move to a better club than Villa, I feel everyone lost out here. 

Youri is making 150 a week at villa so not all bad for him.

22 hours ago, filbertway said:

Still find it weird when people said he downed tools, the guy looked absolutely delighted whenever we scored, not the behaviour of someone that doesn't care. Rodgers ran him into the ground and broke him. 

He's in bad need of a break from the game to recharge.

…And nonplussed when we conceded.

He capitulated. Lay the blame wherever you want for that, but he checked out mentally.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 17:59, Royston. said:

Spooky:ph34r:

I was wondering earlier if he would stick it out or just hand in a transfer request.

Clearly no big teams were interested so had to join Villa, thinking he would be a guaranteed starter for them.

You're welcome back here tubby, we need back up for Winks:P

To be fair that's a really good shout. He would do well in the Winks role, as back up of course. No way it will happen! 

Are we really giving every player who has nosedived a get out of jail by simply staying 'well Rodgers ruined them'? Some players have to take responsibility for kick starting their own careers again.

I swear in 20 years time some will claim Luke Thomas could have been a hybrid of Cafu and Roberto Carlos if he hadnt had the Rodgers effect....

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Rodgers sucked the life out of the whole squad last season, Youri was poor and it cost him a move to a better club than Villa, I feel everyone lost out here. 

Not sure he would get a better move than Villa tbf. They're bound to be competing for top 6 this season. I know Tielemens wanted CL football but it was never going to happen with a club in this country realistically, given his form over the past two seasons.

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Are we really giving every player who has nosedived a get out of jail by simply staying 'well Rodgers ruined them'? Some players have to take responsibility for kick starting their own careers again.

I swear in 20 years time some will claim Luke Thomas could have a hybrid of Cafu and Roberto Carlos if he hadnt had the Rodgers effect....

No player gets off lightly for me, all responsible for our relegation with their pathetic performances each week. There's really only Maddison and Barnes that can look back and say they had a decent season in a relegated team.

Of course the manager plays a big part but we're not talking about an under 14 team here, we're talking about top flight footballers and week after week some of them were making the same mistakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

…And nonplussed when we conceded.

He capitulated. Lay the blame wherever you want for that, but he checked out mentally.

Not sure looking nonplussed when a goal is scored against your team is a good barometer. Does that not describe 99% of players?

People make out that Youri was some all action box to box midfielder at the start of his time with us and then he decided "naah, i'm just gonna meander around the pitch".

He's always been an incredibly immobile (for a professional footballer playing in midfield) guy who had a wand of a right foot who was capable of losing possession due to his style of play.

Aside from the last few cult members that hadn't woken up, I imagine the place was absolutely miserable. You don't get relegated with that quality available unless you've absolutely killed the morale.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/10/2023 at 12:23, filbertway said:

Not sure looking nonplussed when a goal is scored against your team is a good barometer. Does that not describe 99% of players?

People make out that Youri was some all action box to box midfielder at the start of his time with us and then he decided "naah, i'm just gonna meander around the pitch".

He's always been an incredibly immobile (for a professional footballer playing in midfield) guy who had a wand of a right foot who was capable of losing possession due to his style of play.

Aside from the last few cult members that hadn't woken up, I imagine the place was absolutely miserable. You don't get relegated with that quality available unless you've absolutely killed the morale.

I think this is bang on the money. The dictionary definition of technically gifted but physically lacking. He had/has possibly the best first touch and ball control of any player I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt and his passing off both feet was wonderful, pinging long diagonals, through balls, punching it through the lines, out wide. But, he is both slow and weak and not outstandingly committed to make up for it. He would have been a top player 10 years ago, but the game has changed towards a focus on physicality over technique at least in midfield and it doesn't suit him. 

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

25 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I think this is bang on the money. The dictionary definition of technically gifted but physically lacking. He had/has possibly the best first touch and ball control of any player I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt and his passing off both feet was wonderful, pinging long diagonals, through balls, punching it through the lines, out wide. But, he is both slow and weak and not outstandingly committed to make up for it. He would have been a top player 10 years ago, but the game has changed towards a focus on physicality over technique at least in midfield and it doesn't suit him. 

The PL has been physical for more than 10 years now, you only have to look at Gerrard/Keane/Vieira as examples who could get up and down the pitch all game easily. Yet all three were good technical footballers too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkidsFox said:

I'd go for Mahrez in the "best first touch and ball control" category myself.

had a feeling someone might say that, I think Mahrez had the more spectacular first touch of taking a ball out the air and killing it dead, but in terms of controlling a pass from any angle with either foot in a way that creates space and takes you away from the marker, Tielemans is/was elite (Harry Winks scores extremely highly in this regard too). Put Mahrez in the middle of the park and I think you'd find his first touch quite wanting.

6 hours ago, Fox92 said:

The PL has been physical for more than 10 years now, you only have to look at Gerrard/Keane/Vieira as examples who could get up and down the pitch all game easily. Yet all three were good technical footballers too.

Literally picked probably the 3 most complete CMs in the history of the league lol

On 12/10/2023 at 13:57, Lambert09 said:

I personally don’t get the hate of Tielemans. He dropped off a cliff in terms of performance but who didn’t under Rodgers. 

He never spoke badly about the club or tried to force a move. He just underperformed. 

But it’s not like he was always bad, he gave us some great moments. 

We shouldn’t be hating on players because of what the manager did to this club. Evans, Maddison, Barnes, youri … they all gave us great moments and would be looked back on as one of our golden era squads.

Rodgers was toxic and I think everyone can see that, yet we still have to be bitter towards a player like youri who honoured his contract? 

We’ve had a lot of absolute tools at this club over the years, most of which had no talent. 

Im firmly of the belief that there wasn’t anything, any one individual could have done to save us (in fairness we had maddison pulling us along on his own for a year and a half and now showing how elite he is… still couldn’t save us, in what feels like was an inevitability) 

In youris defence he did see out his contract. Unlike so many who soon as big boys came in they shoot off.

59 minutes ago, justfoxes said:

All that is is a 'football insider' source and mot actually any quotes from teammates or staff... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 19:32, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Going to Villa still might offer him top European football... 

A. V   can do more damage to the top 6-8 clubs, and with good club management.. Looks like a good 7-10yrs in front of them...