Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simpmeister

Sammie Szmodics

It’s that typical signing that newly promoted sides tend to try and do, poach the apparent best player in the league? Absolutely not, he’s far from it. It’s poor value for money, no resale value and he’s likely to not succeed. 

There’s plenty of younger players out there we should be looking at who will be cheaper, have a resale value, and would be better risk v reward. This is a Leeds United type signing, let someone else take the punt and take or business elsewhere. If w sign him, it will prove the board have learnt nothing. 

3 hours ago, JimJams said:

A couple of seasons ago Adam Armstrong scored more goals than Szmodics has in this. And he's shit at Premier League level. Just because SS has done well for 1 year at Champ level doesn't mean he's going to reproduce that at the elite level. And at that money, at his age, the thought of signing him should be a fart in the wind.

You can't be paying £20m for a 28yo who has just had his breakout season in the Championship especially as he has been in professional football for a decade. This isn't Jamie Vardy who was working in a factory at 23.

No pedigree and no resale value or room for improvement. He's far more likely to be Armstrong than Vardy, you would hope the club has learnt a lesson and doesn't slip back into where we left off last time we were in this league buying players with little pedigree or potential.

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I really like this guy. It’s not just against us, in many other games he was effective and when Tomasson was in charge he was effective in the press. 20m is a lot given there’s no resale value, but counter point is that he’s proven in the Championship. His wages won’t be outlandish so whilst the fee might be high, the overall package might not be. Winks is supposedly on over 70k so if this guy was signed on 35k then even if the fee is double the package would be similar. 

I’d be very tempted. 

EDIT: There’s also the possibility that in our system he’d be well suited as the 9 as he would be dropping deep. He’s not really a striker despite the crazy number of goals. KDH, Ndidi and Szmodics?! That would be tasty!

KDH, Ndidi (Ndidi!), and Szmodics as our main goalscoring threats would not be tasty. It would be relegation with a record low goals scored.

20 million is the deal breaker but embarrassingly, we cant turn our nose up  at anyone  when our forwards are pushing 40/out of contract/one for the future(not very good) and..................................................Daka:facepalm:

His composure in front of goal was excellent this season. But is he a 1 season wonder like a Michu (Swansea) or is he into his peak years as a player. Anything around 10 million I would be ok with as I think he has something our team need. If closer to 20 million I would hope we use our scouts to source alternative options. 

• Like 1

Yes to the player, but massive no to the fee, given his versatility I think he would be a great addition but anything north of £10m and I think we have made a mistake. Personally £7.5m plus add ons taking it to £10m if Blackburn don’t like it then we move on. 

4 hours ago, Royston. said:

20 million is the deal breaker but embarrassingly, we cant turn our nose up  at anyone  when our forwards are pushing 40/out of contract/one for the future(not very good) and..................................................Daka:facepalm:

Yeah, because he’s the only forward on the market…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Patson Daka, who is predictably taking pelters here, had a higher G+A/90 last season than Szmodics.

In fact, he had higher than everyone in the league other than Vardy. 

Perhaps a little difficult to compare given one was playing in a championship winning team and the other in a team who survived relegation on the final day though mate? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ed 1 said:

Perhaps a little difficult to compare given one was playing in a championship winning team and the other in a team who survived relegation on the final day though mate? 

Or, alternatively, perhaps a little difficult to compare given one was set up to be the main goal scorer for their team and the other played in a side designed to distribute attacking contributions across an entire front five. 

Of course they're apples and oranges but then it wasn't me that brought up Daka in the thread, especially given Szmodics is a midfielder. 

I'm just bored of the disrespect for Daka. Yes, he missed a couple of costly sitters this year, but he also ended up as the second most productive player in the league, weighted for minutes played, behind only the actual GOAT. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I like him a lot, and think he'd be good in our system. But anything over £7m ish is a no for me. He'd have no resale value whatsoever, and just be a stop gap ultimately.

Guy was on the radio for Radio Lancashire I think it was and he valued him at £7m 

• Like 1