Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

1 hour ago, seanfox778 said:

Yesterday - 5/10 

Interesting idea about a mediocre singer/songwriter who gets hit by a bus during a 12 second global blackout and when he comes to, no one has ever heard of the Beatles so he claims he wrote their songs and makes it big. Directed by Danny Boyle and one of the writers was Richard Curtis so I expected a decent film but it was pretty bland, the humour fell flat and the characters were either really stupid or just horrible people. Lot's of very cliche and cringey moments also. Great music but I was left disappointed. 

Are they forgotten? Or do they they just not exist? Cus if it's they are just forgotten, what happened to all the recordings, albums, TV footage? If they just didn't exist, who is going to narrate Thomas The Tank Engine? Too many questions going round in my head.

Guest seanfox778
8 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Are they forgotten? Or do they they just not exist? Cus if it's they are just forgotten, what happened to all the recordings, albums, TV footage? If they just didn't exist, who is going to narrate Thomas The Tank Engine? Too many questions going round in my head.

Haha. They didn't exist. Maybe Mick Jagger narrated Thomas the Tank Engine in this parallel universe. 

After watching the trailer and really liking the previous 2 movies, i was buzzing to see John Wick Chapter 3. 

It was OK, but in my opinion the fight scenes went on a bit too long and the 'baddie' girl with the short black hair was annoying. 

Hard to rate as it was a decent enough movie and you can't beat a bit of Keanu Reeve's, but i did prefer the previous x2 movies. 

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi4083465497?playlistId=tt6146586&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Probably been mentioned already but watched  Equaliser 2 last night and was pleasantly surprised ..   quite enjoyed it !!   

Not sure how they managed to shoot straight at the end though ...   everyone knows if you try and look through at telescopic sight during a storm you see fook all ...     except rain running down the lens ....    schoolboy error ...   :facepalm:

9 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Yeah I hadn't realised any of the Naples abuse, impact of the Argentina v Italy match at 1990 until I listned to a podcast previewing the film, and subsequently the film itself. Juventus and other clubs used to have signs saying 'welcome to Italy' when Napoli rolled into town, you can definitely see why many sided with an icon over their country when they were scorned everywhere they went and deemed such outsiders by large parts of Italy. 

He'll always be better than Messi in my eyes because of his personality and aura, on top of his ability. Messi is probably a better player, but a documentary film about him would be like one of those weird YouTube videos done by a 15 year old in their garage and not have an ounce of the intensity, drama and excitiment of anything about Maradona; or Pele reciting his one billionth goal scored in a playground against a 5 year old.

He'll never truly be wholly accepted or liked in this country, understandably so, but the game is/was far better for having him. 

Didn't think the doc was as good as 'Amy'  but is still a good watch if you're into football. Based on vague memories of a biography I read 15 odd years ago I thought there was more mafia related stuff than was shown but maybe that's just my memory playing tricks. What struck me was the kicking he took from defenders back then. We've all seen his goals against England multiple times but I'd never seen Terry Fenwick(?) forearm smash him in the face earlier in the game before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Probably been mentioned already but watched  Equaliser 2 last night and was pleasantly surprised ..   quite enjoyed it !!   

Not sure how they managed to shoot straight at the end though ...   everyone knows if you try and look through at telescopic sight during a storm you see fook all ...     except rain running down the lens ....    schoolboy error ...   :facepalm:

It's self-evident that they don't.

Guest seanfox778

Midsommar - 3/10

Firstly I have to say that I don't mind arty films, I'm pretty open minded about any film but jesus this felt like a lot of boring nonsense I loved the directors other film, Hereditary which Is why i was really looking forward to this. Some Americans go to Sweden for a small village festival type thing and there's a lot of chanting and bizarre behaviour. I kept waiting for it to "kick off" and it just doesn't to be honest. The opening 10 mins or so was actually brilliant and intense, some of the cinematography was lovely and there's a tremendous gore scene. 

It's got a high rating on IMDb and some good user reviews so I could be alone in my thoughts but I felt like it was a terrible waste of 2.5 hours.

Edited by seanfox778

2 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Midsommar - 3/10

Firstly I have to say that I don't mind arty films, I'm pretty open minded about any film but jesus this felt like a lot of boring nonsense I loved the directors other film, Hereditary which Is why i was really looking forward to this. Some Americans go to Sweden for a small village festival type thing and there's a lot of chanting and bizarre behaviour. I kept waiting for it to "kick off" and it just doesn't to be honest. The opening 10 mins or so was actually brilliant and intense, some of the cinematography was lovely and there's a tremendous gore scene. 

It's got a high rating on IMDb and some good user reviews so I could be alone in my thoughts but I felt like it was a terrible waste of 2.5 hours.

Was thinking of seeing this on the strength of my enjoyment for Hereditary. 

Having seen The Ritual recently (spoilers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ritual_(2017_film)) Midsommar just looks too similar.

Watched Memento.

Great film. Bloody hell tho, talk about how the end of the film (well, middle of the story) can be intrepreted in a lot of different ways.

Read up on it online incase I was missing something but the fans theories are very divided.

Would post more but dont know how to insert spoilers using my phone.

Edited by Nalis

@David Guiza @Alf Bentley

I saw the Diego Maradona documentary in the Phoenix last week. Weirdly enough, with half the Leicester Tigers who all piled in just before it started.

Three things struck me the most. 

1. Give him a monobrow and Carlos Tevez a perm and they could be brothers. 

2. We talk a lot about modern footballers being pampered celebrities who can't cope in the real world but even in the seventies and eighties, clearly if you were good enough, young enough you could skip straight from "child" to "footballer" without ever hitting "adult" somewhere in between. 

He just never grew up. I mean maybe he's ill, maybe he was always ill, maybe there's ADHD or BPD or something in there just too far ahead of its time to really be seen, but he's such a child through all of it. There's a tragedy in that but he just never developed the tools to protect himself in life or to form normal, functional relationships with people. 

3. That said, I've never seen anything so claustrophobic in my life. Every shot of him that's not on a football pitch he's got someone in his personal space, often hundreds of people in his personal space. It made me extremely anxious and uncomfortable watching at times and I can't imagine what it would be like to live through that. 

Even on a football pitch he's never really free of the attention. I know the game used to be more physical than it is but some of the hits he took were devastating. Someone should force Madders to watch it. 

Beautifully made film though. I loved it, it was incredibly intimate regardless of how awkward it was at times. Would recommend to anyone. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I saw the Diego Maradona documentary in the Phoenix last week. Weirdly enough, with half the Leicester Tigers who all piled in just before it started.

2. We talk a lot about modern footballers being pampered celebrities who can't cope in the real world but even in the seventies and eighties, clearly if you were good enough, young enough you could skip straight from "child" to "footballer" without ever hitting "adult" somewhere in between. 

He just never grew up. I mean maybe he's ill, maybe he was always ill, maybe there's ADHD or BPD or something in there just too far ahead of its time to really be seen, but he's such a child through all of it. There's a tragedy in that but he just never developed the tools to protect himself in life or to form normal, functional relationships with people. 

3. That said, I've never seen anything so claustrophobic in my life. Every shot of him that's not on a football pitch he's got someone in his personal space, often hundreds of people in his personal space. It made me extremely anxious and uncomfortable watching at times and I can't imagine what it would be like to live through that. 

Even on a football pitch he's never really free of the attention. I know the game used to be more physical than it is but some of the hits he took were devastating. Someone should force Madders to watch it. 

Beautifully made film though. I loved it, it was incredibly intimate regardless of how awkward it was at times. Would recommend to anyone. 

I think you're right. It would be understandable for him to suffer the 'God complex' or something similar, given how he is treated by a huge number of people. Even Messi isn't fit to lace his boots in their eyes. It makes even the most incredible musician or actor look like a nobody by comparisson. 

I'm not excusing some of the things that he's done, but it would be totally unfair to say that he's completley to blame too. As you say, he's never had an escape from it all and never will. It's amazing that he's not gone completely insane or done something drastic.  

You're absolutley right on the last point too. His stats are totally skewed too whenever people make comparrison with modern day footballers, or even those from earlier this century. His time with Napoli was incredible and he still only scored a maximum of 16 goals in a season (albeit over 28 games) because he was practically assaulted on a weekly basis. The talent in Serie A was remarkable too back then too and he still took a pretty average team way beyond their capabilities. Regardless of how good Messi and co are, I don't think any one player could take a midtable team to winning the Premier League and or World Cup like Maradona did with both Napoli and Argentina. 

I can definitely see the Tevez likeness too!

• Like 1

Not exactly a film but been eagerly awaiting the release of The Game Changers. September I think it's being released in America not sure about here yet. 

It's a plant based documentary on some of the fittest people out there showing you can live a healthy life without meat. Obviously not for everyone but I think it could give a whole new outlook on the way we eat. 

Just seen Jackie chan is in it which makes it even better 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Was there the same night, it was a bit strange tbf

26 minutes ago, Soup said:

Was there the same night, it was a bit strange tbf

I'd seen a couple I didn't recognise outside whilst waiting for my mate and just thought it was some lads lads lads football friends lot turning up because it was Maradona. 

Didn't think much more of it until Tom Youngs leads them all in to the auditorium just before the start. Surreal. 

Edited by Finnegan

On 02/07/2019 at 19:12, Countryfox said:

Almost as good as when Ed woodwoodwoodwood did it ...  

Why has Edward Woodward got 4 'd's in his name?

Because if he didn't, his name would be Ewar Woowar.