Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

13 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Endgame was ****ing brilliant.

I do think though, to the casual observer, it will be just really, really confusing, but that's fine. Marvel have rewarded their fans, instead of trying to woo the masses (though it'll probably break box office records anyway).

I think this is where Star Wars has been going wrong, there's very few references that hardcore fans get to share knowing nods to each other, it's trying to be too inclusive, when it's backbone is built on geeky otherworldliness.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

28 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I think this is where Star Wars has been going wrong, there's very few references that hardcore fans get to share knowing nods to each other, it's trying to be too inclusive, when it's backbone is built on geeky otherworldliness.

Too busy with it's feminist, inclusive bullshit. I'll give the Mandalorian a shot, but I'm done with the films at the moment. This trilogy has been a complete and utter cluster ****, completely failing to compliment the originals. You had the full original cast, you could have had them all bowing out after one last adventure and bringing through the new generation, Luke doesn't even leave his god damn island. Leia has become space Mary Poppins on her feminist space cruiser. At least Han did something, but died without even seeing Luke or Lando etc. 

50 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I do think though, to the casual observer, it will be just really, really confusing, but that's fine. Marvel have rewarded their fans, instead of trying to woo the masses (though it'll probably break box office records anyway).

The difference though is that EVERYONE  (obviously not literally) is an MCU fan. One of the biggest successes of the MCU is broadening the appeal to the vast majority of a generation, not just comic book nerds. The MCU is the Star Wars of the 21st century. Its an era defining franchise, SW isn't anymore. 

It's the GOT of the film world in that people that wouldn't normally go and watch super hero films has gotten invested. 

People know what's going on in Endgame because they've watched most of the films in the series and bonded with all the characters in the same way that GOT would be ****ing confusing right now if not for the fact that half the planet has been watching for the last ten years and so knows everything that's being referenced as people gather in Winterfel. 

In contrast, not everyone is a Star Wars fan anymore. Its not the early 80s, not every kid in the world wants a Luke Skywalker toy, not every student wants to argue about whether Han Shot First or if Jedi is better than Empire. Now it's Cap vs Iron Man debates about the Accords and whether Panther is better than Ragnarok. 

Endgame can appeal just to its fans and make a film for them because there's BILLIONS of them gorging on ten years worth of content. 

The only people that are that passionate about Star Wars in 2019 are a handful of niche nerds and the content they've had in the last ten years (before Disney) is minor kids cartoons, computer games, spin offs, ironically comic books, novels and other off shoots set in the universe largely made to spin money off a dedicated but tiny fan base. 

The closest you got to fan service in the Star Wars sequels was Han being back on the Falcon and Darth Vader getting a cameo in Rogue One because they're so high profile everyone gets the reference. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Too busy with it's feminist, inclusive bullshit. I'll give the Mandalorian a shot, but I'm done with the films at the moment. This trilogy has been a complete and utter cluster ****, completely failing to compliment the originals. You had the full original cast, you could have had them all bowing out after one last adventure and bringing through the new generation, Luke doesn't even leave his god damn island. Leia has become space Mary Poppins on her feminist space cruiser. At least Han did something, but died without even seeing Luke or Lando etc. 

The Mandalorian does look like it could be something pretty good, what with Feloni's, (the Clone Wars and Rebels,) and Favreau's, (Iron Man) pedigree.

I actually prefer the prequel trilogy to the recent ones, i think removing Lucas entirely from production of it made it feel like glorified fanfiction. I only seen the first one of the new trilogy, thankfully we at least got Rogue One out of the disney reboot which is actually probably my favourite star wars film.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I actually prefer the prequel trilogy to the recent ones, i think removing Lucas entirely from production of it made it feel like glorified fanfiction. I only seen the first one of the new trilogy, thankfully we at least got Rogue One out of the disney reboot which is actually probably my favourite star wars film.

Solo was actually pretty good but yeah, Rogue One was awesome to an old Star Wars fan, wish I still had the comics etc., from when I was a kid :)

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The difference though is that EVERYONE  (obviously not literally) is an MCU fan. One of the biggest successes of the MCU is broadening the appeal to the vast majority of a generation, not just comic book nerds. The MCU is the Star Wars of the 21st century. Its an era defining franchise, SW isn't anymore. 

It's the GOT of the film world in that people that wouldn't normally go and watch super hero films has gotten invested. 

People know what's going on in Endgame because they've watched most of the films in the series and bonded with all the characters in the same way that GOT would be ****ing confusing right now if not for the fact that half the planet has been watching for the last ten years and so knows everything that's being referenced as people gather in Winterfel. 

In contrast, not everyone is a Star Wars fan anymore. Its not the early 80s, not every kid in the world wants a Luke Skywalker toy, not every student wants to argue about whether Han Shot First or if Jedi is better than Empire. Now it's Cap vs Iron Man debates about the Accords and whether Panther is better than Ragnarok. 

Endgame can appeal just to its fans and make a film for them because there's BILLIONS of them gorging on ten years worth of content. 

The only people that are that passionate about Star Wars in 2019 are a handful of niche nerds and the content they've had in the last ten years (before Disney) is minor kids cartoons, computer games, spin offs, ironically comic books, novels and other off shoots set in the universe largely made to spin money off a dedicated but tiny fan base. 

The closest you got to fan service in the Star Wars sequels was Han being back on the Falcon and Darth Vader getting a cameo in Rogue One because they're so high profile everyone gets the reference. 

I couldn't disagree more.

When I get to a decent keyboard, and not just my phone, I'll straighten this out.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Solo was a thoroughly decent addition. It's just The Last Jedi that seriously screwed the pooch.

That and Jar-Jar and Hayden Cantact.

19 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Come off it, you only have to look at the box office receipts to know there is still huge interest in Star Wars. The issue is they screwed the pooch by making a couple of bland to pretty awful films with woeful characters and completely failed to connect with the audience that had been waiting for it to come back onto the big screen.

There are kids on my street no older than 5 or 6 who run around in storm trooper and Darth Vader costumes, my friends kids do it, my kids will do it. Because the original trilogy is handed down through the generations still and kids still love it. 

15 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Solo was actually pretty good but yeah, Rogue One was awesome to an old Star Wars fan, wish I still had the comics etc., from when I was a kid :)

Rogue one for me was the only film that got close to giving the older generation of fan what it wanted.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Come off it, you only have to look at the box office receipts to know there is still huge interest in Star Wars. The issue is they screwed the pooch by making a couple of bland to pretty awful films with woeful characters and completely failed to connect with the audience that had been waiting for it to come back onto the big screen.

There are kids on my street no older than 5 or 6 who run around in storm trooper and Darth Vader costumes, my friends kids do it, my kids will do it. Because the original trilogy is handed down through the generations still and kids still love it. 

I'm definitely downplaying Star Wars popularity a little bit yeah but don't get distracted by my hyperbole. The underlying facts are this:

Young people in the 21st century are following the MCU more than Star Wars. 

There is a lot more MCU content to follow in the 21st century than Star Wars. 

Trav's original claim was that Star Wars should have made films that had more appeal specifically to its hardcore fans in the same way Marvel Studios has but what I'm saying is that it's easier for Marvel to do that whilst still appealing to its target audience (predominantly younger people) whilst still having plenty of fan service because ultimately so many people are fans. 

Where as Star Wars truly hardcore fanbase now is a different, often much older animal. If Star Wars wants to appeal to young people and cultivate a new audience, it doesn't need fan service for a bunch of guys Trav's age, it needs a little cute rolling orange robot that all the kids want for Christmas. 

Edited by Finnegan

The whole marvel film hype has completely passed me by. Don't understand how people get so excited by them. Same with any sci-fi films as well, they seemingly don't have any real story and it seems to be more about the special effects than anything else. Each to their own though

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

The whole marvel film hype has completely passed me by. Don't understand how people get so excited by them. Same with any sci-fi films as well, they seemingly don't have any real story and it seems to be more about the special effects than anything else. Each to their own though

I can only speak for myself here, but barring specifically dystopian sci-fi I think sci-fi has a very clear story and message: that we're going to be (reasonably) ok in the future.

The Sci-fi Ghetto is a trope for a reason, but one that is becoming less relevant IMO.

• Like 1

Isnt it everybody to their own enjoyment? I love sci-fi movies.. I loved Star Wars and i love all the DC/Marvel movies, For me thats entertainment but it doesnt 'do it' for everyone. Doesnt make it a shit movie or underrated just an opinion likeeveything else on this forum. :D 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

What?  Sci fi as a genre covers literally every possible story, what makes a film or book class as sci fi is the setting and lore, not necessarily the storyline.  Genuinely no idea where you're coming from with that.

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

What?  Sci fi as a genre covers literally every possible story, what makes a film or book class as sci fi is the setting and lore, not necessarily the storyline.  Genuinely no idea where you're coming from with that.

He is talking about Flesh Gordon

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

True - Prometheus.

But then for every **** film like that, there's something decent.  T2 for example.