Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

My Days of Mercy (8/10)

Unlikely premise but really works. Two young women (Ellen Page, Kate Mara) from opposite sides of the US Death Penalty issue & opposite sides of the social divide fall for one another.

The father of one is on death row for killing the mother, but did he do it? The family of the other (richer) girl campaign for the death penalty after the cop dad's work partner was murdered.

Brilliantly acted between the two leads (awkwardness, passion, pain, strength of character)....but also great, often amusing scripting for the family scenes.

Beats (8/10)

Set at the back end of the era of Rave culture (early 90s) & police crackdown on it. That era passed me by a bit, as I was doing other stuff, so would be interested in the views of the film from anyone who was into all that.

Set in Scotland, focusing on 2 young lads having a tough time in different ways: one from a rough background with violent criminal brother; the other shy, repressed, cop stepfather about to move family "upmarket" to dead suburbia.

A tale of friendship, coming of age, fleeting high excitement & freedom in the face of adversity - but with lots of humour and lots of great beats. Done mainly in black & white, but an extended explosive, impressionistic section for the rave.

Guest seanfox778

A sequel to The Shining has been made, I didn't know this was in the pipeline.

Edited by seanfox778

Toy Story 4, love this franchise. The good thing about this trilogy is that I've felt it's got better and better. I feel the producers and writers always look to raise the bar and do something different... then we've got this forth movie... :nono: oh dear what a shame,  I did have fear that Toy Story 4 was going to be one film too many. The third movie was such a great way to end the series and now with this I feel we've had a random cash grab add on with ending that I fear will disappoint most fans. The plot I think is really thin compared previous films with some weak characters and I would say our returning characters have little to do in this outing. I'm sad this is the ending and they have gone out on this note... This will make money, but I very much doubt it'll be as successful as Toy Story 3. 

What will the kids think? I think the kids pretty bored with this especially ones being introduced to this for the first time. Leaving the cinema today, normally when a kid leaves cinema they can't stop talking about the movie, but despite a busy showing all I heard pretty much quietness. For me If your loyal Toy Story fan, then check it but don't raise hopes up too much. You might be entertained but if you got kids and looking for a family day out... i'm wouldn't necessarily taking them to see this unless they have seen the originals. 5/10 sorry Woody  

Edited by Leicesterpool

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Toy Story 4, love this franchise. The good thing about this trilogy is that I've felt it's got better and better. I feel the producers and writers always look to raise the bar and do something different... then we've got this forth movie... :nono: oh dear what a shame,  I did have fear that Toy Story 4 was going to be one film too many. The third movie was such a great way to end the series and now with this I feel we've had a random cash grab add on with ending that I fear will disappoint most fans. The plot I think is really thin compared previous films with some weak characters and I would say our returning characters have little to do in this outing. I'm sad this is the ending and they have gone out on this note... This will make money, but I very much doubt it'll be as successful as Toy Story 3. 

What will the kids think? I think the kids pretty bored with this especially ones being introduced to this for the first time. Leaving the cinema today, normally when a kid leaves cinema they can't stop talking about the movie, but despite a busy showing all I heard pretty much quietness. For me If your loyal Toy Story fan, then check it but don't raise hopes up too much. You might be entertained but if you got kids and looking for a family day out... i'm wouldn't necessarily taking them to see this unless they have seen the originals. 5/10 sorry Woody  

Sort have been hearing that same review all around.

Maybe I'll just pretend there was only the three :D

Finally succumbed to watching Brawl in Cell block 99 after resisting for ages, I now wished I’d put up more resistance, terrible movie with Vince Vaughn and Dexter’s painfully thin sister, the whole movie seemed to be in slo motion with Vaughn lumbering through his fight scenes, silly plot, awful special effects (especially the final shot) and a director who maybe thinks himself as Tarantino, 3/10

The Bill Murray Stories is pretty good. Documentary film exploring the completely random things the guy does. He once turned up at a party where he knew nobody and just started washing the dishes. 

Also the Barclay Marathons..This is about the world's most bonkers race. Pretty much nobody finishes and it's been going for years..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Finally succumbed to watching Brawl in Cell block 99 after resisting for ages, I now wished I’d put up more resistance, terrible movie with Vince Vaughn and Dexter’s painfully thin sister, the whole movie seemed to be in slo motion with Vaughn lumbering through his fight scenes, silly plot, awful special effects (especially the final shot) and a director who maybe thinks himself as Tarantino, 3/10

I gave up on it after about 20 minutes.

Guest seanfox778

Yesterday - 5/10 

Interesting idea about a mediocre singer/songwriter who gets hit by a bus during a 12 second global blackout and when he comes to, no one has ever heard of the Beatles so he claims he wrote their songs and makes it big. Directed by Danny Boyle and one of the writers was Richard Curtis so I expected a decent film but it was pretty bland, the humour fell flat and the characters were either really stupid or just horrible people. Lot's of very cliche and cringey moments also. Great music but I was left disappointed. 

Watched  Buried starring Ryan Reynolds think it went out in 2009, never saw it before, very good movie, just Reynolds in a wooden box for 100 minutes, not keen on him or his movies before but he was pretty good in this.

Edited by Tuna