Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

55 minutes ago, Corky said:

Absolutely disgraceful how flippantly they discuss just getting rid of historic counties who have been marginalised by the expansion of the international game and its venues. Glamorgan aren't a much better side than us each year but will no doubt survive any cull because they've got a Test ground and are out on their own geographically.

In football, the media desperately wants all clubs to survive and be pillars of the community. In cricket, they are actively wanting to ditch teams and deprive lifelong fans of their passion during the summer.

Outrageous.

Must admit makes me sick how often you hear ex players  talk about just ditching clubs they would get lynched if you heard an ex footballer come out and say lets get rid of Port Vale Chesterfield etc.Just don't get the logic how reducing  the opportunity for people to be able to watch a first class match grows the game

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Agnew’s comments regards the second tier suggest then that next season as it stands Broad, Hales, Stokes, Wood, Archer, Jordan, Morgan, Finn, Roland-Jones shouldn’t be selected for England next year 

Good point not sure that  there's that much difference between the 2 divisions Darren Stevens has found wickets just as easy to get this season

2 hours ago, everton carr said:

To  be fair never scored many runs for us and we never bowled him.Changing subject sad  that Agnew who made his name with the foxes says on the BBC website that clubls like Leics should fold

Posh cvnt

Never could stand him. He's no Leicester man. Fluffed his world cup moment on radio. Unless he's discussing Mrs miggins' fruitcake he's out of his depth. 

Posh horse headed lanky cvnt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Posh cvnt

Never could stand him. He's no Leicester man. Fluffed his world cup moment on radio. Unless he's discussing Mrs miggins' fruitcake he's out of his depth. 

That amused me! 

Can't see any one listening to him to be honest. 

13 hours ago, Cake said:

I'm all for his spirit. However Parkinson is another one of our players who isn't good enough at this level. 

Bowls a 4 ball every over and still doesn't have a stock ball. I think Lilley is better. What has Lilley done wrong gets a few wickets for the seconds bowls tight can give the ball a thump and fields well. Never selected...... 

As for Stevo well it would be great but I'm sure Kent will offer him another year now, may be two. 

You may be right about Kent after all judging by the comments of coach Matt Walker

9 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Posh cvnt

Uppingham boy don't you know, nose stuck in the air.

11 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Posh cvnt

... With no class.  His foul mouthed twitter meltdown with Jonathan Liew earlier this year showed his true colours. 

You'd never find an Oakham old boy behaving like that! 

• Like 1

Once again English cricket's obsession with centralisation baffles me. How can the contraction of professional cricket be a good thing both in terms of player development and marketing the game across the country?

You want a 12-team first division? Fine! But why does that mean the number of First Class counties have to be cut? Surely it would be better to phase in more Minor Counties sides little by little into the structure, so you maybe end up eventually with two divisions of 12 one day (not saying this should be done quickly, just as and when MC sides are able to step up).

As others have said, the argument is illogical anyway given the amount of current players technically plying their trade for div two sides.

• Like 1

I'm not supporting his idea but lets be honest, there is a gulf between the two divisions. And you can't really use the statistic that shows a number of current England players ply their trade in Division 2. How many players in the past 5 years have been awarded their debut on the back of their performances in Div 2? Broad/Anderson get picked because they've been there and done it, not sure what level Lancs/Notts were playing at when they first started but they don't continue to get picked for England because they just took a 5fer against Glamorgan.

County cricket is unique. I've only really followed it for about 10 years and there is never one team that dominates, like how football sides do year in year out. I think in my time, Durham had a little spell as the best side, so did Yorkshire. Other one off winners include Notts, Essex, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Lancashire. Either way, they all have one thing in common which is that they have all spent time in Division 2. However they all bounce back, perhaps with the exception of Durham (financial problems though) and Essex who were a bit of a Leicester 15/16.

You could perhaps argue its not a divisional gulf, perhaps more of a gulf between 10 sides and the rest. As a Worcs fan i'm more than aware any of our good players will be snapped up by the Test ground sides. Any time we get promoted we come back down, same story with other sides at our 'level' that go up. Warwickshire came up and are 2nd bottom, would be bottom if Notts hadn't spectacularly under performed. However we are proof if you can make the most of your academy and make good use of overseas players, short term success can be found. Admittedly thats only in the short stuff but a trophy is a trophy.

Also, who from Middlesex/Surrey are you going to bin off if you scrap some counties? Don't need two sides that close together like :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I'm not supporting his idea but lets be honest, there is a gulf between the two divisions. And you can't really use the statistic that shows a number of current England players ply their trade in Division 2. How many players in the past 5 years have been awarded their debut on the back of their performances in Div 2? Broad/Anderson get picked because they've been there and done it, not sure what level Lancs/Notts were playing at when they first started but they don't continue to get picked for England because they just took a 5fer against Glamorgan.

County cricket is unique. I've only really followed it for about 10 years and there is never one team that dominates, like how football sides do year in year out. I think in my time, Durham had a little spell as the best side, so did Yorkshire. Other one off winners include Notts, Essex, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Lancashire. Either way, they all have one thing in common which is that they have all spent time in Division 2. However they all bounce back, perhaps with the exception of Durham (financial problems though) and Essex who were a bit of a Leicester 15/16.

You could perhaps argue its not a divisional gulf, perhaps more of a gulf between 10 sides and the rest. As a Worcs fan i'm more than aware any of our good players will be snapped up by the Test ground sides. Any time we get promoted we come back down, same story with other sides at our 'level' that go up. Warwickshire came up and are 2nd bottom, would be bottom if Notts hadn't spectacularly under performed. However we are proof if you can make the most of your academy and make good use of overseas players, short term success can be found. Admittedly thats only in the short stuff but a trophy is a trophy.

Also, who from Middlesex/Surrey are you going to bin off if you scrap some counties? Don't need two sides that close together like :ph34r:

A couple of posts up I put Essex got promoted a couple of seasons ago and won the championship the following season. It’s possible that a smaller well run club can bridge the gap between the divisions.

• Like 1

I don't follow county cricket too much, not enough to know about quality of teams and standard of each league. I get why you might think there are too many teams, and the better players are spread out amongst some average journeymen cricketers. Far too many players show they can score runs in the county set up but can't make step up, mainly because they don't face anywhere near the same level of competition. Pitches don't help, scheduling doesn't help and lack of top quality overseas players doesn't help either. Once a player gets selected for England they rarely play any more red ball cricket outside of test matches.

I think players will only get better by travelling the world playing cricket in different conditions. I guess the lions tours are supposed to do that.

22 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

A couple of posts up I put Essex got promoted a couple of seasons ago and won the championship the following season. It’s possible that a smaller well run club can bridge the gap between the divisions.

Its possible but how many other examples of that are there in the last 20 years?

Agnew is a patronising berk who has made a career out of one comment made to Brian Johnson.

He's also incredibly sensitive (Lieuw for example) and on the verge of a bully (Lieuw for example) who should know which side his bread is buttered on when considering he'd not have a media career, let alone a cricket one, if Leics hadn't given him a chance.

If centralisation is the way forward ask yourself why no Test county is in with a sniff of this years CC, none of them won the RL50 and only one is in the T20 finals day.

And look at Notts and Warks fighting for the one relegation place and media darlings Middlesex only just being above us in the league.

1 hour ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Agnew is a patronising berk who has made a career out of one comment made to Brian Johnson.

He's also incredibly sensitive (Lieuw for example) and on the verge of a bully (Lieuw for example) who should know which side his bread is buttered on when considering he'd not have a media career, let alone a cricket one, if Leics hadn't given him a chance.

If centralisation is the way forward ask yourself why no Test county is in with a sniff of this years CC, none of them won the RL50 and only one is in the T20 finals day.

And look at Notts and Warks fighting for the one relegation place and media darlings Middlesex only just being above us in the league.

I think you've answered your own question there. Because centralisation would give them a monopoly over those trophies.

23 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Getting hammered again by an average Glamorgan batting line up.Our new all rounder has bowled 1 over to go with the couple he bowled last week

Supposing you're talking about Rhodes, thats what I said when you signed him. He was here a long time on the fringes and I still have no idea where he bats. He was just chucked in wherever we had a crisis, sometimes opening but usually just middle to lower order. For you to sign him on a 3 year deal is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Walkers said:

Supposing you're talking about Rhodes, thats what I said when you signed him. He was here a long time on the fringes and I still have no idea where he bats. He was just chucked in wherever we had a crisis, sometimes opening but usually just middle to lower order. For you to sign him on a 3 year deal is ridiculous.

It absolutely is. Two at most frankly. Another example of where we do not help ourselves with non sensical decisions

• Like 1

Samit Patel way too much of a challenge as he snares Ackerman and Cosgrove in a single over. A rare good start proves the usual false start. It’s the utter acceptance of low standards that is so desperate. Glamorgan had lost three in a row before this. We capitulated at the end of last season. We are capitulating at the end of this season. There was some progress last season. This season we’ve declined further than ever. Spineless