Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Ah but being a traveller is different to being a tourist!  Travellers explore new places, then blog about them and tell their mates so that future generations of poeple can visit as tourists, this trashing them, enabling the traveller to talk about the wonderful utopian time when they visited unspoiled places.

"You should have been in 'nam and Lao PDR back in the day man, might as well be in Thailand these days."

Got it in one. Its like people who tell others about the beautiful place 'off the beaten track' they went to where tourists never go, as mentioned to them by a tour guide. I consider myself well travelled (nobish I know) but unless you go someone where no one speaks English and their isnt a sniff of tours/tourism tat for hundreds of miles, then you arent off the beaten track.

9 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Got it in one. Its like people who tell others about the beautiful place 'off the beaten track' they went to where tourists never go, as mentioned to them by a tour guide. I consider myself well travelled (nobish I know) but unless you go someone where no one speaks English and their isnt a sniff of tours/tourism tat for hundreds of miles, then you arent off the beaten track.

Is there anywhere off the beaten track any more?

I was watching a documentary recently which showed a remote village in Nepal that I stayed in about 30 years ago; it's still remote, but satellite dishes adorn every roof, and everyone speaks (American) English. :(

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

I was watching a documentary recently which showed a remote village in Nepal that I stayed in about 30 years ago; it's still remote, but satellite dishes adorn every roof, and everyone speaks (American) English. :(

Probably some areas of the Amazon rainforest and the Aussie outback as well as parts of Central Asia, but that's about it.

Obviously each to their own and stuff but there's a reason tourists go to tourist places. I'm sure remote Congolese villages are endearing but there's not much appeal in seeing 'nothing' for me.

Edited by Wookie

When the effing binmen won't take the recycling because there is one wrong item (the wire thing from a grill pan) in there by mistake which could've been lifted out as it was on top. I wouldn't have minded if they'd left it on my drive. So I now have a full bin and have to put the recycling in the black bin which goes to landfill. Plus the council sent me a letter explaining what can and can't be recycled. That's gone in the bin.

Edited by Parafox

Loutish teens.

Went into Morrisons on the way home from work and there was a group of teens being loud on the bench outside the entrance.

Did my shopping and on the way out, there were 3/4 police vehicles with armed police there:blink: and at least one of the youths in cuffs in the back of a car.

Heaven knows what they had done for the armed rozzers to surround them.

On 17/8/2017 at 17:34, Buce said:

There are places I've been to in the Balkans that definitely are. Muslim communities in northern Greece or southern Bulgaria, families living in stone houses clinging to the side of mountains where the traditions haven't changed in centuries. But even they can't resist tourism for ever...

• Like 1

On 17/08/2017 at 18:34, Buce said:

Yep! Come hang out sometime!!

I've been to some random places that are still well off the beaten track, not just places in Africa.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2017 at 19:34, Wookie said:

Obviously each to their own and stuff but there's a reason tourists go to tourist places. I'm sure remote Congolese villages are endearing but there's not much appeal in seeing 'nothing' for me.

Bukavu is lovely this time of year. (not that remote to be fair!)

44 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

They will call between 8 and 1 this morning ...    :angry:  

Well, as long as he understands that I will be ready for him 'sometime between 8 and 1 this morning' ...    and if those times don't match, well tuff fookin titties !!!!!

I can't help feeling there's some information missing from this post, CF...

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I can't help feeling there's some information missing from this post, CF...

Call as in call round to see you ...   and they will ring first to let you know they are on the way.   Didn't get a call, turned up half an hour ago and was a waste of space.   I shall be taking my window repair business elsewhere !! ...        Hows that Bucey ! ..  :)

15 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Call as in call round to see you ...   and they will ring first to let you know they are on the way.   Didn't get a call, turned up half an hour ago and was a waste of space.   I shall be taking my window repair business elsewhere !! ...        Hows that Bucey ! ..  :)

Better.

Reminds me of the guy who wanted to buy a Roller: he was told there was a waiting list, and the earliest delivery would be 3 years to the day. He asked, "Will that be morning or afternoon?".

Puzzled, the salesman said, "I'm not sure sir. Why do you ask?"

The man replied, "Because I've got the plumber calling round in the morning..." :D

• Haha 2

Pallab Ghosh, the BBC chief science reporter. Could he make science seem more dull, boring or factually in correct? Direct quote from today... "the eclipse crossed the entire U.S., ten states". Do yourself a favour mate, I know what you're trying to say, but that isn't it and besides, your monotone drone of a voice has alre.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

In their news earlier this week it was also incorrectly announced that the world's oldest man had died. No he hadn't! By the very definition of the title, he's still alive!

Muppets!

On 17/08/2017 at 15:57, Jon the Hat said:

Ah but being a traveller is different to being a tourist!  Travellers explore new places, then blog about them and tell their mates so that future generations of poeple can visit as tourists, this trashing them, enabling the traveller to talk about the wonderful utopian time when they visited unspoiled places.

"You should have been in 'nam and Lao PDR back in the day man, might as well be in Thailand these days."

Tell that to the people of Cromer! :angry:

7 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Don't go there. You'll get the thread locked.

Not a homophobic comment at all, meant to be taken light heartedly.  But is this something to do with a thread I missed a couple of days ago when shit kicked off?

I've said too much

Edited by tom27111

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

There are genuinely 2 things I won't eat. Bananas, because you look incredibly gay and pork pie, because of the jelly.

So cock is still something you'd eat??

You know  the chinese refer to chickens as cock. :) tee hee hee