Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

People who are blaming knife crime & stabbings on the government, police and lack of youth clubs. 

I saw a video of a uk music rapper the other day blaming everything else on knife crime ranging from Poverty, domestic abuse, lack of education, expulsion from school, closing of youth clubs and wealth. 

Not once did he mention the parents and the individuals carrying out these attacks. All because a youth club may have closed down the next step isn’t to go out and stab someone to death.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

People who are blaming knife crime & stabbings on the government, police and lack of youth clubs. 

I saw a video of a uk music rapper the other day blaming everything else on knife crime ranging from Poverty, domestic abuse, lack of education, expulsion from school, closing of youth clubs and wealth. 

Not once did he mention the parents and the individuals carrying out these attacks. All because a youth club may have closed down the next step isn’t to go out and stab someone to death.

I agree to a point but also disagree, we need to give children things to do, or they will make their own paths and will likely get taken advantage of. However it is ultimately the parents responsibility to ensure their child does not end up at the mercy of gangs.

You cannot absolve Governments, Councils, Schools or the police of responsibility though, they are protectors of society and must help us find solutions.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I agree to a point but also disagree, we need to give children things to do, or they will make their own paths and will likely get taken advantage of. However it is ultimately the parents responsibility to ensure their child does not end up at the mercy of gangs.

You cannot absolve Governments, Councils, Schools or the police of responsibility though, they are protectors of society and must help us find solutions.

It's simplistic to say its just about youth groups though (or any one thing.)

Its not because I went to cubs once a week in Rothley that I didn't turn to knife crime the other six days. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Its not because I went to cubs once a week in Rothley that I didn't turn to knife crime the other six days. 

Maybe I wasn’t clear, that’s the part I agree with. It isn’t because a youth club closed down. 

Parents have to give kids an interest in something, hobbies and share their lives with their children. It’s more difficult in poverty because hobbies are so much more expensive these days but you have to do something with them.

Too many parents are happy to let the TV, IPads and Xbox’s distract their kids whilst they upload nonsense on social media and then are surprised when they are not functioning humans. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's just one thing, more that it's a 'perfect storm' of interconnected things, of which a lack of youth groups is one.

Your attendance at cubs undoubtedly taught you some values which went to shape who you became.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Maybe I wasn’t clear, that’s the part I agree with. It isn’t because a youth club closed down. 

Parents have to give kids an interest in something, hobbies and share their lives with their children. It’s more difficult in poverty because hobbies are so much more expensive these days but you have to do something with them.

Too many parents are happy to let the TV, IPads and Xbox’s distract their kids whilst they upload nonsense on social media and then are surprised when they are not functioning humans. 

Trouble is, so many of these kids don't have 'parents' plural, they come from broken homes. Now before I'm jumped on, I'm not beating the blame single mothers drum, but single parents often have to work at several jobs to feed their family, and consequently can't be there to engage with their kids' hobbies. If there is one constant in all these cases, I'd be willing to bet it's poverty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Trouble is, so many of these kids don't have 'parents' plural, they come from broken homes. Now before I'm jumped on, I'm not beating the blame single mothers drum, but single parents often have to work at several jobs to feed their family, and consequently can't be there to engage with their kids' hobbies. If there is one constant in all these cases, I'd be willing to bet it's poverty.

I do agree, which is why the government, councils and schools should intervene and provide support. 

When we went school they did swimming clubs, football teams, rugby teams, netball teams etc etc. These days they are after school activities, which most likely excludes the poorest. Society is regressing.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Buce said:

Agree with this, although is still doesn't explain why areas of even more poverty than London like areas of Liverpool and Manchester don't have the same level of knife crime.

It's a great shame now whenever anyone raises the point you have to add the caveat you have as you'll be seen to be attacking single mothers.

I do find it strange how we almost celebrate the broken home now and treat is as completely normal, it's been terrible for society and the figures are damning on the whole for children brought up in broken as opposed to stable homes with a stable family. 

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

Agree with this, although is still doesn't explain why areas of even more poverty than London like areas of Liverpool and Manchester don't have the same level of knife crime.

It's a great shame now whenever anyone raises the point you have to add the caveat you have as you'll be seen to be attacking single mothers.

I do find it strange how we almost celebrate the broken home now and treat is as completely normal, it's been terrible for society and the figures are damning on the whole for children brought up in broken as opposed to stable homes with a stable family. 

They might be poorer in places like Leeds and Liverpool but costs in London are significantly higher, with wealth disparity smacking them in face.

Crime is lucrative.

Edited by Strokes

1 hour ago, Buce said:

I don't think anyone is saying it's just one thing, more that it's a 'perfect storm' of interconnected things, of which a lack of youth groups is one.

Your attendance at cubs undoubtedly taught you some values which went to shape who you became.

Honestly my attendance at cubs just taught me how to jump over a dangerously heavy rope being swung at my head by an adult clearly enjoying casual child endangerment a bit too much. 

Oh. And setting things on fire. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Honestly my attendance at cubs just taught me how to jump over a dangerously heavy rope being swung at my head by an adult clearly enjoying casual child endangerment a bit too much. 

Sure you weren't at a Meibion Glyndŵr training camp? lol

3 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

"There's nothing to do"

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

That's a shame.

The Cubs gave me the first holiday I ever had (camping in Wales, as it happens). I remember waking up on the first morning to neck high snow, and there was no fleece or Goretex or Vibram-soled boots back then - it was a woolly jumper, anorak and welly boots, with socks on your hands for gloves. But it was the best time I'd ever had.

I probably sound like someone's grumpy grandad saying this but it seems to me that kids today (on the whole) have lost the ability to take enjoyment from simple pleasures, and it has sucked all the joy out of them. When I was a kid we all wanted to be Frankie Wortho and earn eighty quid a week kicking a football around; now they all want to be fvcking Kardashians. It's so incredibly sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

But did you stab anybody on the night you went to Cubs?