Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

On 15/07/2017 at 12:41, Nalis said:

So there has been a lot of movement/resignations in my relatively small department and there has been a suggestion (not to me directly, through a decent source) that my notice period might be extended from 2 months to 3 as a result. Is this normal for someone in a mid level position? I think this is too long and offers less flexibility for me if I was to move on.

My question - If/when this is suggested to me by my boss, how do I refuse a 3 month notice period without sounding like I'm doing it for the above reasons? Dont want it to create an atmosphere either.

My understanding is that change would need to be agreed mutually... so maybe you're best scenario for 'rejecting it' would be to conunter with a request for a very significant pay rise in order to agree to the new terms (which stands to reason if they're losing employees, because you move up in senority as a result). 

If they're that concerned to the extent of trying to changing contracts - you might be suprised what they're willing to agree to!

https://www.gov.uk/your-employment-contract-how-it-can-be-changed

On 7/15/2017 at 13:49, Buce said:

Would you not also gain from an extended notice period?

On 7/15/2017 at 14:10, toddybad said:

Surely your notice period is part of your contract? Just refuse. It doesn't sound like they're going to be giving you notice any time soon.

Just say you're happy with your contract. Your employer is purely doing it for their benefit - it's not like they're doing it for your welfare is it?

Shouldn't be any guilt or atmosphere.

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

My understanding is that change would need to be agreed mutually... so maybe you're best scenario for 'rejecting it' would be to conunter with a request for a very significant pay rise in order to agree to the new terms (which stands to reason if they're losing employees, because you move up in senority as a result). 

If they're that concerned to the extent of trying to changing contracts - you might be suprised what they're willing to agree to!

https://www.gov.uk/your-employment-contract-how-it-can-be-changed

Thanks for the comments. Yeah had a think about it and will either take the 2nd or 3rd approach, more than likely to be the 2nd option.

16 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Thanks for the comments. Yeah had a think about it and will either take the 2nd or 3rd approach, more than likely to be the 2nd option.

Somewhere there's an Internet forum in meltdown because Nalis hasn't signed yet lol

• Like 1

What's the best way of dealing with interview anxiety?

Had some before where I felt nervous but had positive outcomes.

But the problem is right before it, fear of being negatively judged etc.

Got one next week but already thinking of the above, one of the worse possible feelings..

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Got one next week but already thinking of the above, one of the worse possible feelings..

Time to roll out all the old cliches here Whymsey..

1) We all know what fear stands for - False Expectations Appearing Real. Your fear of being negatively judged is just that. How about making it up in your head that they'll love you and think you're brilliant instead?

2) You're bound to feel a bit nervous if you genuinely care and want the job - that's a good thing. The key I find is to use those nerves as a positive, and enjoy the excitement of what might happen rather than worry about what might not. Look how pro footballers channel their anxiety and nerves when they cross the white line.

3) We're living in the feeling of our thinking - 100% of the time. You don't have to trust or believe those negative thoughts to be true, so let them wash over you instead of paying conscious attention to them. When you have positive and empowering thoughts, shine a light on those instead and you'll always feel much better.

4) Just go and be the best version of you. Try your best, be truthful, open and honest and embrace the opportunity. What will be will be...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 13:33, SystonFox said:

Why do mobile numbers in the U.K. All start with 07?

and how long until we run out of numbers and have to start using a different prefix?

has anyone ever thought of this before?

In Oz they begin with 04, but i was selling the very first mobile phones (they were basically regular home phones on a big wooden box and batter pack) and our first numbers were 07.... we were told it was marketing reasons... James bond 007 and all that. :)

On 7/21/2017 at 14:49, Wymeswold fox said:

On 7/21/2017 at 16:19, Izzy Muzzett said:

Time to roll out all the old cliches here Whymsey..

1) We all know what fear stands for - False Expectations Appearing Real. Your fear of being negatively judged is just that. How about making it up in your head that they'll love you and think you're brilliant instead?

2) You're bound to feel a bit nervous if you genuinely care and want the job - that's a good thing. The key I find is to use those nerves as a positive, and enjoy the excitement of what might happen rather than worry about what might not. Look how pro footballers channel their anxiety and nerves when they cross the white line.

3) We're living in the feeling of our thinking - 100% of the time. You don't have to trust or believe those negative thoughts to be true, so let them wash over you instead of paying conscious attention to them. When you have positive and empowering thoughts, shine a light on those instead and you'll always feel much better.

4) Just go and be the best version of you. Try your best, be truthful, open and honest and embrace the opportunity. What will be will be...

...   or take a beta blocker ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

...   or take a beta blocker ...

Yeah, fvck it.

I spent all that time typing a careful and considered response to Whymsey, and he couldn't even be arsed to respond to it :(

Your advice is much simpler :thumbup:

35 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yeah, fvck it.

I spent all that time typing a careful and considered response to Whymsey, and he couldn't even be arsed to respond to it :(

Your advice is much simpler :thumbup:

Know what you mean Muzzett ...   I replied to one of his grizzlings the other day and got no response ...   miserable little bleed*r ! ...   :)

• Like 1