Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

I thought Spurs were 5 points behind us? Also Arsenal have a game in hand.

They are, we're 5 clear of Spurs, 11 clear of arsenal, 11-5=6.

Win that and they're still 8 behind with 7 to play, which would leave them realistically needing to win six or seven on our current form.

"I wasn't allowed more than a couple of transfer windows to build a team," is a commonly heard phrase when managers lose their jobs. The money spent or resources provided in the transfer market has become the overriding explanation (or excuse) in recent years as to why managers succeed or flop.

:banghead:

Most managers don't inherit a side that Nigel Pearson/Craig Shakespeare/Steve Walsh etc. spent years building, can the lesson from our season please not be that all managers should be able to walk into any job and make a squad brilliant instantly, you have to inherit a strong side to do that and most managers don't.

• Like 2

They are, we're 5 clear of Spurs, 11 clear of arsenal, 11-5=6.

Win that and they're still 8 behind with 7 to play, which would leave them realistically needing to win six or seven on our current form.

Agreed that it seems unlikely that the Arse will take the title.

On paper, though, they have a much easier run-in than us or Spurs: 5 out of 8 at home to teams in the bottom half, away to Sunderland, Man City & West Ham.

In the unlikely event that they win all those (WH the biggest obstacle), we'd only have to lose 2 and draw 1 out of 7 and they'd be level with us on points.

I don't think that will happen. The Arse will slip up somewhere, and I don't see us losing 3 and drawing 1. I wouldn't completely count them out yet, though - it's still a 3-horse race.

"One game at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from you!"  :D

Waddle thinks we'll finish third. lol

The funniest bit is he doesn't seem to think he has to justify it. It's just a given that Arsenal are going to make up 11 points on us over the next seven games.

How Claudio Ranieri built, and can sustain, surprising Leicester City

Interesting point of view here from a former colleague, but so many factual errors it's difficult to take it seriously.

I don't think anyone underestimates Ranieri's impact now, the man is a legend and he's clearly taken us to another level, but he did inherit a strong squad in good shape. Does make it an easier job to come into than, say, Villa...

Edited by Oxfordfox83

Agreed that it seems unlikely that the Arse will take the title.

On paper, though, they have a much easier run-in than us or Spurs: 5 out of 8 at home to teams in the bottom half, away to Sunderland, Man City & West Ham.

In the unlikely event that they win all those (WH the biggest obstacle), we'd only have to lose 2 and draw 1 out of 7 and they'd be level with us on points.

I don't think that will happen. The Arse will slip up somewhere, and I don't see us losing 3 and drawing 1. I wouldn't completely count them out yet, though - it's still a 3-horse race.

"One game at a time, sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from you!"  :D

Arsenal will win all their remaining games IMO, their home games are very easy in particular and they're very strong away.  they're 8 points behind if they win their game in hand (Watford (H)). I see them as a bigger threat than Spurs

:banghead:

Most managers don't inherit a side that Nigel Pearson/Craig Shakespeare/Steve Walsh etc. spent years building, can the lesson from our season please not be that all managers should be able to walk into any job and make a squad brilliant instantly, you have to inherit a strong side to do that and most managers don't.

Most managers inherit a side built by someone else, Moyes inherited a team of winners from Fergie but made shit signings and fvcked it right up, AVB inherited successful Chelsea and Spurs teams and made a mess of it. Paulo Sousa turned a play off side into relegation fodder.

What Ranieri is being praised for is taking the time to assess the squad, be open to the input from the existing staff, he has also turned fringe players from last season, Mahrez, Vardy, Drinkwater, Simpson into outstanding players this season.

One lesson from this season for managers and owners is to look at what  you have before you start writing off players and throwing money around.

Arsenal will win all their remaining games IMO, their home games are very easy in particular and they're very strong away.  they're 8 points behind if they win their game in hand (Watford (H)). I see them as a bigger threat than Spurs

They have already lost to Swansea (H) and dropped points to West Brom and Norwich (A) 2 of the teams they have to play, they also have tough away games at West Ham and Man City, Watford are no mugs and nobody likes travelling to Sunderland this time of year (that includes us). I don't agree they are strong away from home, they have failed to win half their games on the road this season. 

I would be amazed if Arsenal won their remaining 8 games.

Edit: Just checked the date, you got me with that one, well done, I should have known.

Edited by Captain...

I think Arsenal will win 6/7 out of their last 8, they certainly aren't out of it. I don't see us being able to stumble across the line to the title it'll require us to do what we've done all season and win the majority of our games.

I think Arsenal will win 6/7 out of their last 8, they certainly aren't out of it. I don't see us being able to stumble across the line to the title it'll require us to do what we've done all season and win the majority of our games.

I agree, people assume it's a two horse race but Arsenal are still very much in it.

They couldn't ask for five easier home games and won't accept anything less than a 15pt return. It's their away games against Man City, West Ham and Sunderland which will decide how close they go. Seven wins and a draw is a perfectly feasible target for them which would leave us needing 12pts from our last 7.

I agree, people assume it's a two horse race but Arsenal are still very much in it.

They couldn't ask for five easier home games and won't accept anything less than a 15pt return. It's their away games against Man City, West Ham and Sunderland which will decide how close they go. Seven wins and a draw is a perfectly feasible target for them which would leave us needing 12pts from our last 7.

I'm sure everyone is very much aware it's mathematically possible, but for them to win it not only do we have to show form we've not shown for a year, Spurs have to show form they haven't shown all season and Arsenal need to do something they haven't done for some time. Their form is shocking at the moment, in their last 16 games in all competitions they have won just 5 games... and two of them were against Championship teams.