Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:51, FIF said:

Anyone watched Altered Carbon or Requiem yet. Both on my to see list from the write-ups.

This  week's Silent Witness was back to it's best again - probably because Emilia Fox took a back seat and two other people were featured.

Star Trek Discovery - I'm still unsure about it. I know some of you absolutely love it. I'm an SF fan and an original trekkie but this series hasn't broken through for me. I watched eps 11 last night having thought in eps10 that finally it had broken through but eps 11 was pretty boring. I don't like the way they explain everything as though we're dumb (even if it is aimed at a US audience) I find a couple of the actors really  poor and a couple really good. It has the potential to move into classic status but it could easily devolve into a nothing series.

Started the detectorists after reading opinions on here. Humour is such a personal characteristic that it's difficult to give a view. The first episode was quietly funny and I'm going to check out the rest of the season. So thanks.

Just finished the newest season of Vera - on a par with previous seasons more or less.

Also watching Cardinal which has some good points and some weak points but overall worth watching.

Altered Carbon - watched the first episode last night.  It started well enough but it was slow in places.  It was also difficult to tell what some of them were saying, lots of mumbling.  I'll stick with it, but it wasn't nearly as impressive as...

Star Trek Discovery - episode 14 tonight!  :)

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The Nish Kumar, Mark Watson song about a random woman is one if the best moments of tv I've ever seen. lol

Bob Mortimer and the others calling “Rosalind a ****ing nightmare” too, unreal stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 18:11, oakman said:

Just finished first series of Stranger Things - thought it was ok but don't quite understand why everybody has been raving about it.

It really capitalized on the nostalgia factor. They completely nailed what suburban america, particularly in the midwest, was like back in the early 80s. It also borrowed very heavily from what science fiction / horror was like in that time period - Stephen King, Alien, etc.

The casting was also interesting. Movies back in the 80s actually had child actors portraying characters that were their own age. In today's movies and television, it's much more common to cast older actors to play kids/teenagers. How many movies have you seen where they cast a 24 year old to play someone 16-17? So it was refreshing to have dorky looking kids to play the gang from stranger things. 

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Started watching "Bloodline" due to a recommendation from a friend of mine.

Very gripping family tale with dark undertones. Moves rather slowly, but makes for great drama.

I absolutely loved it, I'm surprised it isn't more popular, or at least I don't hear other people talking about it 

15 hours ago, Innovindil said:

This work day needs to end already so I can watch the trek finale. Really impressed with this season, hope it has a good finish

I should think that most people out there would agree that it certainly had that!

I'm struggling to see how any series of Trek that has come before, in a season one, has had such an impact as this.  It was way off what I was expecting early on, it was different, but I went along with it and thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was.  Then we had the mid-season break after a couple of slow-ish episodes leading up to this.  Since then it went absolutely crazy and brilliant all the same.  The episode directed by Frakes himself, an absolutely stunning episode.  Up there with the best - Best of Both Worlds, Yesterdays Enterprise, Year of Hell, Equinox... you name it, just brilliant.  Although the season finisher felt like it came two episodes ago with Lorca's endgame, since then it's come across much more true to the past versions of the show imo.  Tonight's episode brings it full circle and the tie-in with the original series, although an obvious cliffhanger to leave it on, was brilliantly done all the same.  I hope they keep it subtlely different to what's come before in series 2 and don't overlap too much with what's happened in the past.  There's a load of stuff they can do with it now, the majority of main bridge crew are well established and hopefully they will flesh out the others.  They can literally put the ship wherever they want in the blink of an eye even if that's been put on hold for now.  I can see Isaacs coming back in some way next season as well - I'm not convinced he's gone for good.

All in all, brilliant.  Definitely needs a re-watch at some point before next year!

21 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Blimey John Cleese must need the dosh after his divorce appearing in this drivel.

I deliberately didn't watch it after catching a trailer that induced in me nothing but ignominious pity. Not just him mind - some really good actors are cast in it, so I was hoping somebody would prove my my initial fears wrong. Apparently not...

19 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Just watching a nature programme about Korea there was a falconer who loved his bird and had a bond of great trust with a beautiful animal, made me realise that the Koreans truly are a noble people @leicsmac

And then you go out in Hongdae on a Sunday morning and see all the businessmen crashed out on the pavement from the night before. :D