Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

11 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

Was a great episode to watch but, so annoying it was the last in the series as it barely contributed to the actual storyline.

Yeah I agree. Annoying that they didn't wrap up this story in this one season but for a first season I think it was a success, I enjoyed it and will definitely tune in for the next season. Hopefully this fills the void left by the mini marvel ones Netflix had going. 

Said it already but The Orville really is the new Star Trek series we were hoping to get when they greenlit Discovery (which tbf I don't hold in nearly as much contempt as most Trekkies I know - it's good, high budget sci-fi, it just doesn't feel like Trek).  The latest episode in season 2 is exactly the kind of slower paced slice of life drama the 90s Treks did so well.  Getting The Doctor from Voyager in was just a cherry on top.

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Said it already but The Orville really is the new Star Trek series we were hoping to get when they greenlit Discovery (which tbf I don't hold in nearly as much contempt as most Trekkies I know - it's good, high budget sci-fi, it just doesn't feel like Trek).  The latest episode in season 2 is exactly the kind of slower paced slice of life drama the 90s Treks did so well.  Getting The Doctor from Voyager in was just a cherry on top.

Never heard of it, but checked it out on IMDB and will give it a try tonight. I do enjoy the Star Trek discovery though. 

Going back in time, watching the five episodes of "Holocaust", first aired in 1978/79.

Yes, the history of the Holocaust is condensed and yes, not everything is explained in detail, but the major events are mentioned, the cruelties of the war shown, as is the pain of the Jewish people whose rights, liberties and dignity were taken away bit by bit and it still holds up very well after all these years and is a very well written TV show.

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Watched 1st episode tonight and enjoyed it alot, wasnt what i was expecting. If you are bored and are looking for something to watch you should give Future Man a go, 2nd season has just been released. 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Watched 1st episode tonight and enjoyed it alot, wasnt what i was expecting. If you are bored and are looking for something to watch you should give Future Man a go, 2nd season has just been released. 

Just a word of warning, the first episode isn't all that representative of the series tbh. The whole 'idiot who can't tell the difference between mints and marbles' angle on Macfarlane's character goes right out the window for the rest of the series and the jokes become far less frequent and generally less oddball slapstick.  It's like they're using the 'comedy' tag as a loophole to get around copyright infringement. :D I'd avoided the show for ages purely on the basis of it being a live-action comedy by Seth Macfarlane, the dude behind Family Guy and American Dad, but really it's just the work of a Star Trek fan using his resources and connections to fill a void in the TV listings.  And he gets to live every Trekkie's dream of being a Star Ship captain too, the bastard. He's really won me over with this show.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2019 at 11:59, Costock_Fox said:

I’m 3 episodes in, it’s good so far but not blown away but I did expect that as I was told series 1 is slow.

I found it okay but not as good as so many make out. I preferred The Wire and it's possible even that doesn't  make my top 5 series. Each to their own and it's worth watching at least.

17 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Just a word of warning, the first episode isn't all that representative of the series tbh. The whole 'idiot who can't tell the difference between mints and marbles' angle on Macfarlane's character goes right out the window for the rest of the series and the jokes become far less frequent and generally less oddball slapstick.  It's like they're using the 'comedy' tag as a loophole to get around copyright infringement. :D I'd avoided the show for ages purely on the basis of it being a live-action comedy by Seth Macfarlane, the dude behind Family Guy and American Dad, but really it's just the work of a Star Trek fan using his resources and connections to fill a void in the TV listings.  And he gets to live every Trekkie's dream of being a Star Ship captain too, the bastard. He's really won me over with this show.

On episode 5 now, been on a bit of a binge. I love it! Its typical trekkie, with humour and i think Seth Macfarlen plays a great part. Thank you for mentioning it.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2019 at 14:35, Tuna said:

Started True Detective season 3.

It's as slow paced as usual but I'm finding it a little boring if I'm honest, hoping it picks up a bit.

Yeah I’d agree with you there, I think season 1 set the bar too high!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FIF said:

I found it okay but not as good as so many make out. I preferred The Wire and it's possible even that doesn't  make my top 5 series. Each to their own and it's worth watching at least.

I’m 6 in, I like it to be honest. It’s pretty slow but Tony is brilliant in it.

15 hours ago, oakman said:

Just finished the first season of The Last Man on Earth and about to start season 2. Really enjoying it and it's been far funnier than I expected.

A hidden gem of a show that one. I'm a bit behind on it but I've heard it's been cancelled so I'm gonna binge what's left some time in the coming months.

The stealth bomber bit killed me lol

Watching new Star Trek Discovery. Big fan. I enjoyed Next Generation, Voyager, and a bit of DS9 in my youth but don't really consider myself a trekkie. I get why the traditionalists don't like it but I think it strikes a really nice balance despite focussing on the series arc rather than the episodic. Just a heads up it's back on Netflix weekly!

57 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Watching new Star Trek Discovery. Big fan. I enjoyed Next Generation, Voyager, and a bit of DS9 in my youth but don't really consider myself a trekkie. I get why the traditionalists don't like it but I think it strikes a really nice balance despite focussing on the series arc rather than the episodic. Just a heads up it's back on Netflix weekly!

It's back where it left off and is excellent as always.  It's a mini feature film every week, the production is absolutely brilliant.  It has lasting potential to be as good as TNG for me.  At points last season it was the best I've seen, Frakes' episodes were ridiculously good.

Btw the short treks are now also accessible, there's 4 of those, roughly 15 minutes each and are also worth watching.  They can be found amongst the trailer choices.

16 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's back where it left off and is excellent as always.  It's a mini feature film every week, the production is absolutely brilliant.  It has lasting potential to be as good as TNG for me.  At points last season it was the best I've seen, Frakes' episodes were ridiculously good.

Btw the short treks are now also accessible, there's 4 of those, roughly 15 minutes each and are also worth watching.  They can be found amongst the trailer choices.

I'd quite happily watch it every evening. Mini movie is spot on. Didn't know about the short treks, thanks!