Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

What do drivers think they are going to gain by blocking off junctions? 

It seems they're either

a) too scared to sit at traffic lights which are on green but are not going anywhere (fear of getting beeped by the car behind?)

or

b) that somehow, driving through a light which is on green but they know the lights will go to red and will still block off the flow of traffic from the other set of lights, but it's ok because at least I'm through the light. 

I'd love it if the police had manpower to be traffic cops and dish out fines on the spot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With regards to cyclists and running reds - yes I have in the past. And I would continue to do so.

Why?

Safer.

If I cross an empty junction on a red I know I am ok.

If I cross a junction when it is green for my direction, I know that I am likely to get wiped out by some d1ck turning left.

Unfortunately some cyclists do take the p1ss, however in the main you need to be on the 'attack' to remain safe. This means skipping reds occaisionally.

EDIT: I also believe that I am a better driver because I have commuted on a bike.

Edited by adam1

Is it safer for pedestrians to cross roads when the traffic is meant to be stopped for them, when in fact they could be wiped out by cyclists who think they own the roads and go against traffic signals lol

Because you skip red lights or because you've ridden a bike before really doesn't make you a better driver. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, adam1 said:

With regards to cyclists and running reds - yes I have in the past. And I would continue to do so.

Why?

Safer.

If I cross an empty junction on a red I know I am ok.

If I cross a junction when it is green for my direction, I know that I am likely to get wiped out by some d1ck turning left.

Unfortunately some cyclists do take the p1ss, however in the main you need to be on the 'attack' to remain safe. This means skipping reds occaisionally.

EDIT: I also believe that I am a better driver because I have commuted on a bike.

Reason why cyclists get a bad reputation ^

If you're on the road, at least follow the laws of the road, don't put others at risk by. Going over on a red puts you just as much at risk from other drivers as it would following the law.

On 04/11/2019 at 18:43, Mickey O'Neil said:

What do drivers think they are going to gain by blocking off junctions? 

It seems they're either

a) too scared to sit at traffic lights which are on green but are not going anywhere (fear of getting beeped by the car behind?)

or

b) that somehow, driving through a light which is on green but they know the lights will go to red and will still block off the flow of traffic from the other set of lights, but it's ok because at least I'm through the light. 

I'd love it if the police had manpower to be traffic cops and dish out fines on the spot. 

It's amazing. Yesterday I was coming out onto London Road (where there's a yellow box) behind someone else. The guy already on the road let the person out in front of me, then carried on forward and blocked the junction like he was doing them a favour lol ****

WFH. F-ck  roads, F-ck traffic. (Spent many years commuting on the M4 into London. Have done my bit for destroying the world's sanity/environment)

Cup of tea.

On the later shift this week and coming home from work in the dark. The amount of park cars with their highlights on is unbelivable. Literally blinding when I go round a bend and then find a car facing my way with headlights on.

• Like 1

Crossing the road at Melton road just off the McDonald's roundabout in Thurmaston. Waiting for the lights to change and notice a car come to a stop, a few seconds go by and nothing happens. I look at the guy in the car and he motions for me to cross. 

I thought possibly the crossing is knackered, good job I checked the traffic light. The daft tw&t had gone out of his way to stop at a greenlight and try to wave me across for some reason. I'd say I was surprised but they guy in the lorry coming up behind him about cr&pped himself. The car driver then had the good grace to give me the w&nker sign and speed off. 

20 hours ago, Fox92 said:

On the later shift this week and coming home from work in the dark. The amount of park cars with their highlights on is unbelivable. Literally blinding when I go round a bend and then find a car facing my way with headlights on.

This annoys the hell out of me. The drivers that park facing oncoming traffic with headlights on must have experienced a similar situation where they have been dazzled by vehicles parked like that and yet they still don't realise that they are dazzling oncoming traffic by doing the same.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 13:08, UniFox21 said:

Reason why cyclists get a bad reputation ^

If you're on the road, at least follow the laws of the road, don't put others at risk by. Going over on a red puts you just as much at risk from other drivers as it would following the law.

Try cycling. You might learn something.

On 06/11/2019 at 23:52, ALC Fox said:

Probably something that's been mentioned before but...

People who change lanes and nip in front of you as you're crossing a junction/yellow box, leaving you stranded and looking like the cvnt who couldn't judge distance and traffic flow properly.

Coming down Brauny Lane to the junction before the Jaguar garage from Wigston.Following a learner(we have all been there).Following me was a Porche.so i'm trundling along behind the learner ,Porche behind me.Get to the crossroads,the learner is going towards town.Mr Porche decides he want's to go into town and cuts the learner up at the lights!Poor girl in the L car must have been wondering what was happening.

Tools that cut into the inside lane to get off at a junction at the last minute causing cars to break hard which has a serious affect on traffic flow up to 5 miles back as well as being darn right dangerous to those immediate cars they cut in front of. Preempt your junction, manoeuvre safely into the inside lane in advance and we'll all get home safely and on time ya maggots.

• Like 1

Being cut up twice on the A47 coming back from Oakham, it was chucking it down and dark and on 2 separate occasions a car raced past me right at the end of a crawler lane forcing me to brake, I never understand the mentality of some people risking an accident to get one car in front, it wasn’t as if they had a clear road ahead either.

On 09/11/2019 at 08:08, UniFox21 said:

I do, regularly. 

Me too, I always cycle whenever possible as I hate driving and sitting in traffic, I did get told by some caring driver to “get a car” the other day to which I replied “I’ve got a fu*king car you moron” it’s funny in my rage I used the word “moron” as I’ve not used it for years! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Me too, I always cycle whenever possible as I hate driving and sitting in traffic, I did get told by some caring driver to “get a car” the other day to which I replied “I’ve got a fu*king car you moron” it’s funny in my rage I used the word “moron” as I’ve not used it for years! 

I love cycling, it's bloody brilliant. But the roads and cars make it less fun as some drivers are genuinely ****ing idiots. Same could be said for cyclists, but the minority of both sets makes it a pain  to be on the road 

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

That's an inexplicable sentiment isn't it? The guaranteed way to get a cyclist to slow drivers down is to put him in a car

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I love cycling, it's bloody brilliant. But the roads and cars make it less fun as some drivers are genuinely ****ing idiots. Same could be said for cyclists, but the minority of both sets makes it a pain  to be on the road 

Agreed. I’ve come to the conclusion that the UK roads are used by some of the most idiotic, impatient and selfish people that you’d find anywhere in the world (I may be exaggerating here as I’ve never been outside of Europe) I just don’t understand why everyone is in such a rush! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Agreed. I’ve come to the conclusion that the UK roads are used by some of the most idiotic, impatient and selfish people that you’d find anywhere in the world (I may be exaggerating here as I’ve never been outside of Europe) I just don’t understand why everyone is in such a rush! 

Have to say we are up there with some of the worst I've experienced. The Spanish are more erratic drivers than us though lol I'm sure spending an extended period in any place and you'd probably experience a similar level of idiocy. 

I can't put my finger on it, some drivers and cyclists seem to think they own the road and have an arrogance about any other user at all

• Like 1

Driving in Leicester this evening in the rush hour. Dark, poorly lit streets guess what. Cyclists without lights. Actually made a mental note

10 in total

0 wearing reflective clothing

1 with light front and back (well done)

2 with just a rear light

1 with just a front light

6 with no lights at all.

5 went through red lights and 2 diverted off the road to cycle on the pavement.