Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Driving to work yesterday, someone tailgating me all the way down to the A46, get to the Hobby Horse roundabout and he pulls to the next lane. I look across and he's got his phone on the steering wheel scrolling through Instagram. C*nt. 

He pulls off and I notice a "baby on board" sign in his window. I get back akongside him on the 607 and now he's texting. Baffling, especially considering there was a fatal crash last week due to someone being on their phone. 

Sorry jnr but your dad's a Jeb-end! 

• Like 2

It wasn't today, but when I drove down on Sunday, the A515 was wet, dark and visibility was terrible. How people can drive their vehicles (especially grey/silver or dark coloured) without any lights on is utterly beyond me. Had anyone unwisely overtaken as they approached, everyone would have been toast.

Are cyclist allowed to cycle towards traffic on a cycle path?

Most mornings at the island by loughborough hospital I see a guy leave the pavement and enter the cycle path heading in the opposite direction to me on my side of the road. I have no idea if cycle paths have rules like that, but it seems a bit dangerous. Also I'm sure if there was no cycle path it would be illegal to cycle towards traffic.

Roadworks in Glenfield at the moment are a nightmare. Twice now i've been stuck at the temporary lights and the light just stays on red for AGES. To the point they are clearly not working properly. 

I live inbetween 2 sets of roadworks so ive started coming up Chestnut now to avoid them but that road is a shithouse everyday lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Are cyclist allowed to cycle towards traffic on a cycle path?

Most mornings at the island by loughborough hospital I see a guy leave the pavement and enter the cycle path heading in the opposite direction to me on my side of the road. I have no idea if cycle paths have rules like that, but it seems a bit dangerous. Also I'm sure if there was no cycle path it would be illegal to cycle towards traffic.

I'm pretty sure the Highway Code states that they should go in the same direction as the traffic, and I don't imagine this direction is any different just because there is a cycle path - quite apart from that it would be somewhat chaotic if cyclists were actively trying to pass each other in the cycle path if they were actually intended to be two-way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Cyclists that go through red lights. Picking and choosing the rules that apply to them.

This over and over for me.

I understand if they want to cycle instead of drive but being on the road means adhering to the rules.

Edited by Fox92

On 02/10/2019 at 07:01, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'd be getting his reg no and be straight on to the old bill.

We should all be grassing up these c**ts at every opportunity

How can you prove that the driver was on his phone although?   I do not expect the police would use their resources looking at trafiic cams in hope of spotting him on his phone?

13 minutes ago, The Blur said:

How can you prove that the driver was on his phone although?   I do not expect the police would use their resources looking at trafiic cams in hope of spotting him on his phone?

You can't, of course, and I don't think there's much mileage in reporting something after the event.  Every time I've contacted the police about something I thought was worth their attention they've always taken it really seriously. I think it depends partly on how you report stuff - I've only rang them up when I've been concerned that someone was going to do something really bad immediately - usually drivers that are obviously pissed or drugged up. 

Thereis a section on the Leics Police website for reporting stuff including alleged motoring offences. To what extent they follow it up I haven't got a clue, but it's like all policing - they can sit around waiting for something to happen, but if something is brought to their attention enough they'll look at it sooner or later.  This is why this 'they never do anything anyway attitude' that seems common now is so damaging - reporting something doesn't mean it's automatically dealt with, but not reporting it guarantees it won't be

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You can't, of course, and I don't think there's much mileage in reporting something after the event.  Every time I've contacted the police about something I thought was worth their attention they've always taken it really seriously. I think it depends partly on how you report stuff - I've only rang them up when I've been concerned that someone was going to do something really bad immediately - usually drivers that are obviously pissed or drugged up. 

Thereis a section on the Leics Police website for reporting stuff including alleged motoring offences. To what extent they follow it up I haven't got a clue, but it's like all policing - they can sit around waiting for something to happen, but if something is brought to their attention enough they'll look at it sooner or later.  This is why this 'they never do anything anyway attitude' that seems common now is so damaging - reporting something doesn't mean it's automatically dealt with, but not reporting it guarantees it won't be

Fair enough.  I also saw something on TV other week that the police officers now are riding on the top floor of the double decker buses so they can see any offenders and act on it.     They even filmed a driver who was caught and fined through the scheme,  the driver admitted that he was in the wrong and that the scheme would stop him from doing it again in the future.  

8 hours ago, The Blur said:

Fair enough.  I also saw something on TV other week that the police officers now are riding on the top floor of the double decker buses so they can see any offenders and act on it.     They even filmed a driver who was caught and fined through the scheme,  the driver admitted that he was in the wrong and that the scheme would stop him from doing it again in the future.  

They have at least one unmarked HGV patrolling the motorways as the high cab enables them to do just this.

Digressing slightly, here's a very interesting article on pedestrian safety for those that can be arsed:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/03/collision-course-pedestrian-deaths-rising-driverless-cars

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They have at least one unmarked HGV patrolling the motorways as the high cab enables them to do just this.

Digressing slightly, here's a very interesting article on pedestrian safety for those that can be arsed:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/oct/03/collision-course-pedestrian-deaths-rising-driverless-cars

Whilst I have no doubt that a certain degree of the problem can be directly attributable to careless driving, I am amazed nowadays by the number of pedestrians that I see just step into the road with their attention primarily locked on a mobile phone screen. Sure, there is an obligation on drivers to always give way to pedestrians, but it's not entirely surprising that accidents are increasing if pedestrians insist on leaping off the kerb like lemmings without paying close enough attention to the road.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Blur said:

Well worth investing in a dash cam with an easy removable mount, you should see the selfish fvckers faces if im sat in the passenger seat and we pull alongside and im sat with the dash cam pointed at them, then pull in behind and point it down towards the number plate.

Our dash cam hasnt worked for months but it still has the desired effect lol

• Haha 1

On 03/10/2019 at 08:27, kingcarr21 said:

Roadworks in Glenfield at the moment are a nightmare. Twice now i've been stuck at the temporary lights and the light just stays on red for AGES. To the point they are clearly not working properly. 

I live inbetween 2 sets of roadworks so ive started coming up Chestnut now to avoid them but that road is a shithouse everyday lol 

Bastard nightmare. Feels like Tysoe Hill is being ripped up every 18 months. Been at uni so don’t know if they’re still there but the temporary lights on Sandown/Dorset are shit as well 

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

I think there should be some sort of licence for cyclists, or they have to take a test or something. There has been far too many accident involving cyclists, and iv'e had one too which stopped me getting in a car for two years. The amount of times i see them with no lights, dressed all in black, no helmets, undertaking cars, jumping lights etc.. If you want to be on a road, that's completely fine, just abide by the same rules that car drivers have to.

On 01/10/2019 at 18:28, Raw Dykes said:

Stuck in a really long jam. I kept noticing car behind me in the driver's side wing mirror. She was so far over to the right, she was over the central white line, on a narrow road, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. When we finally got to the junction, she did it again. A lorry coming the other way sounded its horn at her and had to wait for us to move forward so she could get back in her lane. She thought this was funny and was laughing to herself with no-one else in the car that I could see. I thought she must have been itching to slip into the upcoming right-turn lane, but she wasn't! Went straight on! What a fuching imbecile.

Don't get me started on middle-lane hoggers. They've given us three or four lanes at taxpayers' expense and often months of suffering roadworks, but these cvnts being on the roads means we still only effectively have two. I'd tear up their licences and give them a bus pass.

They would only sit in the middle aisle....:D

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I think there should be some sort of licence for cyclists, or they have to take a test or something. There has been far too many accident involving cyclists, and iv'e had one too which stopped me getting in a car for two years. The amount of times i see them with no lights, dressed all in black, no helmets, undertaking cars, jumping lights etc.. If you want to be on a road, that's completely fine, just abide by the same rules that car drivers have to.

It's the same as with drivers though. The majority are fine, but you get the minority who are twats who ruin things for everyone. 

The number of times I've had a driver pull out of a road in front of me on my roadbike when if they'd waited a few seconds I'd have been past and they could've got out easier. 

I've seen plenty who think riding around in all black and no lights/reflectors is fine, but ample ride normally with lights/helmets and follow the rules of the road. 

Licensing means paying money to get it, which would put a lot off straight away. And there would be no way to actually enforce it. Are you gonna start pulling cyclists over to check their licenses? 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Licensing means paying money to get it, which would put a lot off straight away. And there would be no way to actually enforce it. Are you gonna start pulling cyclists over to check their licenses? 

Absolutely, if they weren’t abiding by the cycling laws of the road. In the same way the police would pull a car over if they thought that something wasn’t right. 

There are just as many twat cyclists as there are decent ones. The same as the number of dickhead drivers and decent ones. 

So what if you would have to pay for a licence? Everybody else has to to drive on the road legally. 

On 05/10/2019 at 20:20, Carl the Llama said:

A dad pushing his baby's buggy into the road to cross in front of me instead of waiting for the empty road behind me. World's full of imbeciles.

the craziest Thing in this world..people with Kiddy buggies,Crossing busy roads,while First pushing the poor Kid in Front of you,

We are all guilty...!!!  So many mams or dads,pushing their kids in Front off the Traffic , hoping to Stop the cars...

Poor invention..!!!

Cars Parked on the pavement,    forcing families or kids to walk on the road...I always push the mirror inwards,or put the wipers up...

And best is to scrape the Empty kids buggy,along the Side of the car....:cool:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, stix said:

Absolutely, if they weren’t abiding by the cycling laws of the road. In the same way the police would pull a car over if they thought that something wasn’t right. 

There are just as many twat cyclists as there are decent ones. The same as the number of dickhead drivers and decent ones. 

So what if you would have to pay for a licence? Everybody else has to to drive on the road legally. 

Cyclists do get pulled over or stopped by police if they're breaking the law or riding like a twat. 

I've seen it happen and was stopped before for having no lights when I was younger.

Minute you start charging people for the ability to cycle on the road, the minute people stop doing it. And you get just as many riding without as we all know we have no where near enough police staff to check a decent percentage.

Also doesn't help the dislike many car drivers have of cyclists. You go to so many different countries and cyclists are given their own lanes And space and there's barely an issue.