Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Lost my 4 year old cat out there this evening. Out on a busy urban Leicester road. Got to him minutes after a neighbor told me they'd seen it but he didn't have a chance; caught on the head by a car, heavy blood out his ears, no breathing, no heartbeat. RIP Egil

I know people don't go out their way to hit them and don't want to be sanctimonious but please be aware of small furry things scurrying about too.

• Sad 5

11 hours ago, Jaspa said:

Lost my 4 year old cat out there this evening. Out on a busy urban Leicester road. Got to him minutes after a neighbor told me they'd seen it but he didn't have a chance; caught on the head by a car, heavy blood out his ears, no breathing, no heartbeat. RIP Egil

I know people don't go out their way to hit them and don't want to be sanctimonious but please be aware of small furry things scurrying about too.

Sad when this happens. 

Once, on an emergency call, we hit a cat on the road. We couldn't stop to see if it was ok, obviously. Anyway, the call turned out to be a hoax. We drove back the way we came only to find a lady putting the obviously dead body of a cat in her car. :(

Many years ago, when I was in my early teens, we had a dog. One Saturday the Ice cream van came round. For some reason, Jack, our dog, decided to have a pee against the front wheel of the van. As he was about to cock his leg, after having a good sniff around, the bloke got in his seat and started to drive off. Front wheel ran over Jack's pelvis. Euthanasia was the only option. I cried more then than when my grandma died :cry:

• Sad 1

Some cvnt cut in front of me on Aylestone Road near the Tigers ground on the way home, then they braked to let another car out of the hospital who was trying to loop round onto Welford Road but couldn't because of the traffic, so we were all sat there like fvcking mugs. I was so pissed off I actually thought about ramming the car

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Idiots on bicycles riding in the dark with no lights and no bright clothing.

These bloody infuriate me. Like I'm not expecting them to dress in full flourescent clothing, but have some common sense.  

Lights cost a couple of quid, same with reflectors, it isn't hard to use them. 

• Like 1

Have to say the number of people I've seen using their phones lately whilst driving is crazy. Admittedly I've only just started driving again, having passed a few years back, but I don't understand how people can be concentrating when either texting or on the phone. 

Edit; and whilst I'm at it, horses on the roads. Not a fan

Edited by UniFox21

19 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Pulling over to let an Ambulance go by and the car behind seems to think they can go by you . Actually got beeped at today as if he had right of way !

Pisses me off the people that are completely useless in these situations. I was going over Croft dual carriageway towards narborough earlier, got to the end and an ambulance was coming the other way from narborough. On the ambulance's side they had 2 lanes worth of space, no-one in front of them to overtake etc, bloke infront of me, on opposite side to the ambulance, slammed his brakes on, came to a complete stop at the end of the dual carriageway, and i nearly went flying straight into the back of him. Was he expecting the ambulance to come up the wrong side of the road? ****ing ridiculous. And then in narborough, at the roundabout, I took the inside lane and the car next to me just straight lined the roundabout, centimetres from hitting me. Idiots everywhere.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tuna said:

Idiots on bicycles riding in the dark with no lights and no bright clothing.

Add the normal pedestrians,in fact all of us..!!! 99% most likely also drivers,walk around the county,the suburbs,the City , all in Dark Clothing at night,or Walking home in same direction as the traffic,or Pop out, Crossing the road ,at the Darkest Corner wearing , gray,Dark blue or black.....We are all inconsiderate buffoons,then whine about the other tossers.....oh this is a WW problem!!!

Edited by fuchsntf

53 minutes ago, Lcfc_lass10 said:

Accident on the A46 this morning caused chaos. Was trying to get to Glenfield at around 8am but all other alternative routes were gridlocked, meeting cancelled! 

Heard there was another one on the M1 not long after as well. Not nice to hear. 

Read in the Mercury that an elderly couple were seriously injured in this incident, after metal poles fell from a pick-up truck and collided with them..:(

Hope the van driver gets caught and prosecuted due to an unsafe load.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
Pick-up truck involved, not a van as initially posted.

59 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Pulling over to let an Ambulance go by and the car behind seems to think they can go by you . Actually got beeped at today as if he had right of way !

Wow I can't believe you didn't know that once the ambulance is past it's winner takes all on the restart.  Use it or lose it buddy, smh.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Read in the Mercury that an elderly couple were seriously injured in this incident, after metal poles fell from a pick-up truck and collided with them..:(

Hope the van driver gets caught and prosecuted due to an unsafe load.

Think the pick up truck was in the evening. The morning crash was a bus (my former employers lol) crashing through the central reservation.

In fact the elderly couple was Saturday 15th https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/couple-80s-serious-condition-after-3584783

Edited by Facecloth
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, los dedos said:

11 hours ago, Kopic said:

Pisses me off the people that are completely useless in these situations. I was going over Croft dual carriageway towards narborough earlier, got to the end and an ambulance was coming the other way from narborough. On the ambulance's side they had 2 lanes worth of space, no-one in front of them to overtake etc, bloke infront of me, on opposite side to the ambulance, slammed his brakes on, came to a complete stop at the end of the dual carriageway, and i nearly went flying straight into the back of him. Was he expecting the ambulance to come up the wrong side of the road? ****ing ridiculous. And then in narborough, at the roundabout, I took the inside lane and the car next to me just straight lined the roundabout, centimetres from hitting me. Idiots everywhere.

A couple of interesting observations, above.

In my job we see things like this so often, it beggars belief how some people react to blue lights. I've often seen in my mirrors, cars 2 or 3 vehicles behind the front car, pull out and pass it after we've gone by. We also get people tailgating us through traffic!

Similarly vehicles travelling towards us on the other side of the road stopping abruptly even though we have no traffic to overtake. This seems to happen a lot on the A47 Hinckley Road and is usually an elderly driver.

On particular occasion sticks in my mind. We were on blue lights and audibles on our way to a job when we came up behind a car on King Richard's Road. We followed him for some distance and he seemed completely unaware and was obviously distracted by something as he kept looking down at the passenger seat, he also had his phone tucked between his shoulder and his ear. As if this wasn't bad enough, when we got alongside as he was at traffic lights, I looked in and saw he was using his laptop on the passenger seat as well. 

We got his reg and reported him. 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 01:05, adam1 said:

With regards to cyclists and running reds - yes I have in the past. And I would continue to do so.

Why?

Safer.

If I cross an empty junction on a red I know I am ok.

If I cross a junction when it is green for my direction, I know that I am likely to get wiped out by some d1ck turning left.

Unfortunately some cyclists do take the p1ss, however in the main you need to be on the 'attack' to remain safe. This means skipping reds occaisionally.

EDIT: I also believe that I am a better driver because I have commuted on a bike.

On 06/11/2019 at 13:08, UniFox21 said:

Reason why cyclists get a bad reputation ^

If you're on the road, at least follow the laws of the road, don't put others at risk by. Going over on a red puts you just as much at risk from other drivers as it would following the law.

On 09/11/2019 at 02:10, adam1 said:

Try cycling. You might learn something.

OK. Yesterday I was in the response car coming out of the ambulance exit at the LRI, not on blue lights or anything, but I had a green traffic light in my favour. As I moved forward, a cyclist shot across from the right, obviously having jumped his red light. Not even a glance in my direction or any kind of acknowledgement of my presence on the road. He was also wearing earphones. :thumbdown:

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

OK. Yesterday I was in the response car coming out of the ambulance exit at the LRI, not on blue lights or anything, but I had a green traffic light in my favour. As I moved forward, a cyclist shot across from the right, obviously having jumped his red light. Not even a glance in my direction or any kind of acknowledgement of my presence on the road. He was also wearing earphones. :thumbdown:

I have no idea why some cyclists wear earphones, this isn't a closed race, you need to hear where cars are coming from as well as hearing emergency vehicles. Some genuinely think they own the road, same as a decent number of drivers. 

Luckily they got through with no trouble, but on another day they may take a hit. People just need to use their bloody heads 

• Like 1