Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

10 hours ago, stix said:

Absolutely, if they weren’t abiding by the cycling laws of the road. In the same way the police would pull a car over if they thought that something wasn’t right. 

There are just as many twat cyclists as there are decent ones. The same as the number of dickhead drivers and decent ones. 

So what if you would have to pay for a licence? Everybody else has to to drive on the road legally. 

Employment Figures people needing a bike to get to work,because of poor on no-exsistent bus services..

Or they just want to Keep fit..

Car drivers who have lost their license,needing a bike to get to work..

Curtailing.freedom of a natural pastime!!

Children will never be able to learn,how to cycle,because they will need a license...

Oh!! Too many car crazy idiots,who believe they drive perfectly everyday!!

You will be asking silly uncaring pedestrians,next to get a license for walking the pavement...

Joggers, marathon-runners,& the everyday joy of running for a bus..!!:yesyes:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

Nearly had 3 separate accidents in the way to work. Firstly a baby deer ran out in front of my car which I managed to miss. Then some nob head in an audi decided to pull out in front of me even though there was no room for him, had to slam on my brakes to miss him. He then went through a red light further down the road. Finally I had some chavvy kid on his phone step off of the kerb in front of my car without looking,  had to swerve to miss him. 

Coming up to a roundabout this morning. Not a mini one, just a normal size one, the last one before Amazon on Beveridge Lane heading towards Ellistown. First car coming to the roundabout on my right is indicating left, so I go to pull out, and the stupid cow goes straight on. Luckily I spotted before I'd gone to far and slammed the anchors on, but it's not just me, the person behind me was lucky not to run into the back of me. Why the **** would you indicate left to go straight on at a roundabout? People really have no clue how to tackle roundabouts.

15 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Coming up to a roundabout this morning. Not a mini one, just a normal size one, the last one before Amazon on Beveridge Lane heading towards Ellistown. First car coming to the roundabout on my right is indicating left, so I go to pull out, and the stupid cow goes straight on. Luckily I spotted before I'd gone to far and slammed the anchors on, but it's not just me, the person behind me was lucky not to run into the back of me. Why the **** would you indicate left to go straight on at a roundabout? People really have no clue how to tackle roundabouts.

Drivers that stop at roundabouts when there's nothing coming and of growing concern, in the left hand lane ostensibly for the first exit that then turn right for a third exit - straight across the path of those going straight on. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Careful on these roundabouts. There has been a lot of posts on SpottedIbstock etc about crash for cash merchants trying to force accidents, even reversing into people if they do stop in time. This has been in the last week or so.

• Thanks 1

Just driving home on Belgrave Road, where the flyover used to be there are pedestrian crossings on the entrances and exits to the roundabout. The light changed to red, I stopped so pedestrians could cross. Beemer boy behind me swerved into the outside lane and sped up, straight through the red. Too many drivers are treating red lights and speed limits as optional. There's no enforcement.

14 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

Just driving home on Belgrave Road, where the flyover used to be there are pedestrian crossings on the entrances and exits to the roundabout. The light changed to red, I stopped so pedestrians could cross. Beemer boy behind me swerved into the outside lane and sped up, straight through the red. Too many drivers are treating red lights and speed limits as optional. There's no enforcement.

There are, what, about 4 red light cameras in Leicester? I'd put them on every set if it were up to me, and I wouldn't warn people that they were there. 

They'd be paid for within a couple of weeks

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

There are, what, about 4 red light cameras in Leicester? I'd put them on every set if it were up to me, and I wouldn't warn people that they were there. 

They'd be paid for within a couple of weeks

I'm not sure I would even fine for that offence - there's no excuse for jumping red lights, in my book it should be an automatic ban.

On 15/10/2019 at 13:25, Uranyl Yellow said:

Driving to work this morning at 7am - it was properly dark, and whilst I wouldn't say it annoyed me, I was somewhat surprised by the number of people driving around without any lights on.

Yeah it's the same in thick fog. 

I wonder what goes on in their brains.

Setting off in the dark checklist for them:

Engine on - check

Seat belt on - check

Right off we go, god I'm such a good driver .... but oh my, it does look dark outside... I know what I forgot now...

Radio on - check. 

Let's go, I'm so good, look at all of these other drivers looking at me as to say how good I am. It's really dark this morning mind...

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

It's ridiculous isn't it? I think becoming a cyclist has made me a better driver. 

What's freaked me out recently is that it's not that drivers haven't seen me (which although isn't great is understandable in some circumstances up to a point) but at times they clearly HAVE seen me and pull out in front of me anyway. I'm starting to dread riding past people waiting to turn right out of junctions.

I can only assume they assume I'm going a lot slower than I actually am

• 2 weeks later...

We've got a 30mph limit through the village with average speed cameras while the A6 that runs parallel to the village is shut til December and has been since July.

The village now takes a fvck load more traffic which it isn't suitable for, especially at school run/peak-times.

However, when there are no cars through the village, and it's a clear way through with little to no traffic, for some reason drivers are insisting on going at 20mph max. Why not 30, or at least up to it?

On 06/10/2019 at 22:49, UniFox21 said:

Cyclists do get pulled over or stopped by police if they're breaking the law or riding like a twat. 

I've seen it happen and was stopped before for having no lights when I was younger.

Minute you start charging people for the ability to cycle on the road, the minute people stop doing it. And you get just as many riding without as we all know we have no where near enough police staff to check a decent percentage.

Also doesn't help the dislike many car drivers have of cyclists. You go to so many different countries and cyclists are given their own lanes And space and there's barely an issue.

Not sure how it would operate but it is time cyclists were liscensed to ride on the roads, forced to pass a test and compelled to take out insurance. I drive a lot in Cambridge where there are a great many cyclists and plenty of cycle lanes and paths. This time of year through to next spring is really difficult for car drivers in the city. A significant minority of cyclists, probably 30%, cycle without lights, without reflective clothing, many without helmets. I see several every day cycle through red lights and in the city centre itself a great many ignore the one way system and feel they can just cycle any which way they want without being pulled over. I've even seen a cyclist knock down a woman on a pedestrian crossing whilst cycling the wrong way down a one way street.  Fortunately the woman was not seriously injured but if she had been would the cyclist have been insured, no of course not. Same as if the scratch your car. Have I ever seen a police officer do anything? No.

Just the other month I was driving through Uppingham. The speed limit is 20mph. A cyclist actually tried to overtake me going quicker than 20MPH. Had there been a speed camera they would not have been punished as there would be no way of recognising them.

Cyclists obviously have as much right to space on the roads as car drivers and  a great many are responsible. However, the roads in this country are very busy and it is time cyclists were treated the same as other road users in terms of insurance, road tests, and being made aware of what is legal and not. I very often see cyclists wearing headphones, and on their mobile phones whilst cycling.

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Not sure how it would operate but it is time cyclists were liscensed to ride on the roads, forced to pass a test and compelled to take out insurance. I drive a lot in Cambridge where there are a great many cyclists and plenty of cycle lanes and paths. This time of year through to next spring is really difficult for car drivers in the city. A significant minority of cyclists, probably 30%, cycle without lights, without reflective clothing, many without helmets. I see several every day cycle through red lights and in the city centre itself a great many ignore the one way system and feel they can just cycle any which way they want without being pulled over. I've even seen a cyclist knock down a woman on a pedestrian crossing whilst cycling the wrong way down a one way street.  Fortunately the woman was not seriously injured but if she had been would the cyclist have been insured, no of course not. Same as if the scratch your car. Have I ever seen a police officer do anything? No.

Just the other month I was driving through Uppingham. The speed limit is 20mph. A cyclist actually tried to overtake me going quicker than 20MPH. Had there been a speed camera they would not have been punished as there would be no way of recognising them.

Cyclists obviously have as much right to space on the roads as car drivers and  a great many are responsible. However, the roads in this country are very busy and it is time cyclists were treated the same as other road users in terms of insurance, road tests, and being made aware of what is legal and not. I very often see cyclists wearing headphones, and on their mobile phones whilst cycling.

I'd go as far as agreeing with it being good to be able to associate a bike with a rider. So having to register your bike, given a 'number plate' so those who do speed, run reds etc can be retrospectively flagged and fined.

But I stand by, the minute you make a cyclist get insurance, pay tax or pay for a license then the numbers cycling fall massively and people just drive or use public transport. 

However, I do argue your point of police never doing anything if a cyclist is on the phone, riding like a dick etc as I've seen police flag them down before. But at the same time how many drivers do you see on the phone, scratching cars and all the other offences you mentioned and not fined or stopped by the police? I know for a fact I see more drivers on the phone than those on bikes. Do police do anything to those the majority of the time? No. 

But police shortage is a different matter. 

There are always poor drivers in both camps, but the minute you charge cyclists etc you'll see an influx on people in cars or trying to use poor public transport, which arguably will make the situation worse.

However, I think An introduction of bike safety, road safety into the college's and schools is the way to go. Hitting the next wave of drivers and cyclists and teaching them against the 'wrongs'

People who have no ****ing intention of slowing down or preparing to stop at a round about...i'll explain 

There's a small round about near me and when approaching the view to the right is slightly restricted, therefore you need to almost stop to check that no car is coming onto the round about. HOWEVER, so many cars coming from the right don't do that and therefore almost take you out as you go, even though they weren't even close to coming onto the roundabout when i went - prepare to stop, not prepare to go dickheads

Does that make sense? 

So many village drivers that can't drive