Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On 17/09/2019 at 11:41, CollinsLCFC said:

Other night I was on the road just coming from Morrison's Petrol station, going past the side road from Mecca Bingo/Car Showroom. 

Taxi driver comes from the side road, doesnt stop and I have to swerve to stop him going into the side of me. I couldnt believe he didnt hit, it was very very close.

I assume he just dropped off a job and was probably on his mobile device closing/selecting a new job, most Taxi drivers do it. Why can't they do it when they are stationary when they drop off?

Not sure if this is the road you mean but the odeon/mecca/local hero etc car park exit is an accident waiting to happen. When leaving you can barely see what's coming around the corner let alone if somebody decides to speed round it.

You're on a dual carriageway.   Half a mile ahead are 2 cars in lane both travelling the same speed.  You're cruising at a faster speed so you steadily close the gap to them.  They continue driving in single file at the same pace.  When you're finally about to catch up to them you start indicating, check your mirrors to make sure it's safe and then pull out to overtake.  The 2nd car now decides that they also want to overtake and pull out without indicating, cutting you up and limiting your progress as they slowly pass the car they'd been happily tailing until that point.   Happens every single day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driving to Norfolk yesterday 60 zone for 10 miles and this flannel is driving 38mph the whole time. Caused a massive tailback and people were getting seriously agitated which could cause accidents. There was absolutely nothing in front of him and his car was fine. If you are too scared to drive the speed limit then you shouldn’t be on the road.

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
11 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Driving to Norfolk yesterday 60 zone for 10 miles and this flannel is driving 38mph the whole time. Caused a massive tailback and people were getting seriously agitated which could cause accidents. There was absolutely nothing in front of him and his car was fine. If you are too scared to drive the speed limit then you shouldn’t be on the road.

Happens everywhere down here in Cornwall too. Every national speed limit road is treated like a 40 by a lot of people, I can understand if it’s a windy road with sharp corners but most of the time, they’re nice and open. Frustrating.

Edited by seanfox778

4 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

Happens everywhere down here in Cornwall too. Every national speed limit road is treated like a 40 by a lot of people, I can understand if it’s a windy road with sharp corners but most of the time, they’re nice and open. Frustrating.

Yeah really annoying and inconsiderate by the old timers 

I recently visited Oakham, and because there were no roadside car-parking spaces anywhere on the main street, I parked on a quiet side street nearby, where there were plenty of spaces. Ten minutes later I returned to my car, just as a traffic warden was sticking a yellow envelope on the windscreen. When I enquired what was going on, he explained that it was residents' parking only and I was being fined £70 (halved to £35 if paid pdq). He then said, with a smug grin on his face, that I could stay there as long as I wanted to! My vexation was added to by the methods of payment allowed. If you don't have a debit or credit card, there appears to be no way of paying the fine! I won't be visiting Oakham again for a long while.    

16 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I recently visited Oakham, and because there were no roadside car-parking spaces anywhere on the main street, I parked on a quiet side street nearby, where there were plenty of spaces. Ten minutes later I returned to my car, just as a traffic warden was sticking a yellow envelope on the windscreen. When I enquired what was going on, he explained that it was residents' parking only and I was being fined £70 (halved to £35 if paid pdq). He then said, with a smug grin on his face, that I could stay there as long as I wanted to! My vexation was added to by the methods of payment allowed. If you don't have a debit or credit card, there appears to be no way of paying the fine! I won't be visiting Oakham again for a long while.    

Tbf how many people are there who own an insured vehicle without also having a bank account and the debit card that comes with it?

I always pay by cash for everything, where possible. Imo, there should be facilities available to pay such fines by cash, postal order, or cheque at a post office within the county responsible. As regards being able to stay as long as I wanted to, this seemed completely illogical, since I would have been depriving a resident their precious parking spot! Clearly, Rutland CC weren't bothered by that, as long as they got some money off me. Btw, Oakham is not worth visiting - Stamford and Market Harborough are far better. 

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Pay on line. Get with the program, mate. It's the modern world, even in Oakham. 

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

I always pay by cash for everything, where possible. Imo, there should be facilities available to pay such fines by cash, postal order, or cheque at a post office within the county responsible. 

I remember the days of paying by postal order. Thought they were long gone! 

Edited by Izzy
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

35 quid for all day parking where I live is bargain, mate. Would happily take it :thumbup:

If smart motorways are so smart, why are there more deaths along them than elsewhere? And who are the cretins that slow down to gawp at accidents on the opposite carriageway? Imo, they are as dumb as the middle lane hoggers and the lorry drivers who take forever to overtake another lorry. The M69 seems especially prone to middle lane hoggers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, String fellow said:

If smart motorways are so smart, why are there more deaths along them than elsewhere? And who are the cretins that slow down to gawp at accidents on the opposite carriageway? Imo, they are as dumb as the middle lane hoggers and the lorry drivers who take forever to overtake another lorry. The M69 seems especially prone to middle lane hoggers.

Can't stand being stuck in standstill traffic only to discover the incident causing it is on the other side of the barriers.  Morbid curiosity is perfectly natural but so should be the common sense not to slow down for a cheeky peek in otherwise fast moving traffic. Infuriating.

On 22/09/2019 at 16:59, String fellow said:

Can you not read man?  Take the shame.

On 19/09/2019 at 00:58, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A flashing light from a speed camera at the junction of Narborough Road and Fullhurst Avenue really naffed me off on Monday.

Just waiting for a letter to drop through the door telling me off and costing me a fair few quid.

Think I was doing 37. The law's the law etc.

:facepalm:

14/15 days later and no speeding ticket.

Might be in the clear.................

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

14/15 days later and no speeding ticket.

Might be in the clear.................

Might have got 2 Sunday,and I’ve never had one in my life and do 20k a year.

Firstly coming from Market Harborough to Oadby overtook and then slammed on the anchors when I saw the 40.There is  a camera pointing towards the sign.Might be ok,as I was slowing for the 40.We shall see.

Secondly,dropped some bits off at Nottingham Uni for my daughter after the match.Cruising on A14 at just after 9 doing about 77 and notice a police camera van in the lay-by at bloody night.

what will be,will be I suppose.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 16:59, String fellow said:

There are plenty of pay and display car parks in Oakham, not that it’s helped you but I just park there and pay the charge, less hassle. 

Stuck in a really long jam. I kept noticing car behind me in the driver's side wing mirror. She was so far over to the right, she was over the central white line, on a narrow road, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. When we finally got to the junction, she did it again. A lorry coming the other way sounded its horn at her and had to wait for us to move forward so she could get back in her lane. She thought this was funny and was laughing to herself with no-one else in the car that I could see. I thought she must have been itching to slip into the upcoming right-turn lane, but she wasn't! Went straight on! What a fuching imbecile.

Don't get me started on middle-lane hoggers. They've given us three or four lanes at taxpayers' expense and often months of suffering roadworks, but these cvnts being on the roads means we still only effectively have two. I'd tear up their licences and give them a bus pass.

1 hour ago, Raw Dykes said:

Stuck in a really long jam. I kept noticing car behind me in the driver's side wing mirror. She was so far over to the right, she was over the central white line, on a narrow road, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. When we finally got to the junction, she did it again. A lorry coming the other way sounded its horn at her and had to wait for us to move forward so she could get back in her lane. She thought this was funny and was laughing to herself with no-one else in the car that I could see. I thought she must have been itching to slip into the upcoming right-turn lane, but she wasn't! Went straight on! What a fuching imbecile.

Don't get me started on middle-lane hoggers. They've given us three or four lanes at taxpayers' expense and often months of suffering roadworks, but these cvnts being on the roads means we still only effectively have two. I'd tear up their licences and give them a bus pass.

And then the tosspots suddenly speed/wake up when you move to overtake them in the outside lane. Jerks

36 minutes ago, Fox1970 said:

And then the tosspots suddenly speed/wake up when you move to overtake them in the outside lane. Jerks

Yeah! A lot of them do that. No consideration for anyone else.

Sometimes, I overtake, but drive alongside them long enough to give them a look and make sure they see me, then I make a point to go straight past them into the empty left lane. Pointless, I'm sure.

Just got stuck behind some cvnt pottering around a-roads doing about 30. Would have overtaken, but there were 3 cars between me and them. The limits were all 40, 50 and 60, but they never went near 40. I was fuming, and they kept braking when most people would be accelerating. It was like they were trying to make a vein burst in my temple.

My car's had a bit of a rattle in the suspension. Changed some parts this morning and have been out twice to see if the problem's been fixed. Ran into an idiot both times. Rotten luck today.

4 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Incredible the amount of people who refuse to use the inside lane on four-lane sections.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

5 hours ago, Fox1970 said:

4 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Sometimes, I overtake, but drive alongside them long enough to give them a look and make sure they see me, then I make a point to go straight past them into the empty left lane. Pointless, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Incredible the amount of people who refuse to use the inside lane on four-lane sections.

Very little grinds my gears but poor lane discipline nags me more than it should.

First world problems but still.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1