Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

Jeffrey Schlupp

Manchester United don't take players on loan very often and without good reason......better judges than us lot on here....great player, Schlupp, Manhrez, Knockaert, Albrighton , Lawrence ....never had a better set of flair/wide players......

I think Stringfellow, Glover and Weller might have something to say about that. 

I'm glad for Schlupp but he isn't the finished article yet. He's improved in the last few matches but his final ball needs to be consistently better. His pace sometimes leaves his football brain behind and he frequently crosses without looking. 

It was a timely goal yesterday and showed some good technique but required a big slice of luck. He's starting to fulfill the potential he showed at Rotherham those years ago but there's a way to go yet.

If we go down there will almost certainly be interest in him from premier league clubs which is a tribute to the work he has put in to improve himself.

The thing I like is it isn't just him being in good form. It's his new position and his unquestionably improved work ethic.

Used to be he would sprint a few yards to close someone down then walk back to position while the other team play round him. Now he is much more consistently pressing and also making runs when we have the ball.... making a big difference atm.

getting a bit of national recognition in betfair's latest tips blog. "jeff schlupp vs manchester united" doesn't say a lot for the rest of our team though lol

https://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/premier-league-betting-tips-four-key-tactical-battles-this-weekend-280115-722.html?rfr=798967&mpch=ads

Jeffrey Schlupp v United's 3-5-2
Saturday, 15:00

Louis van Gaal's  3-5-2 - the resounding emblem of Man United's chaotically fragile 2014/15 season - has made an inexplicable comeback in recent weeks, leaving Leicester City with more optimism than one might expect. Their excellent team spirit and constant harassing of the opposition should unsettle United's shaky defence, and could lead to another major upset at Old Trafford.

Although somewhat more defensively reliable than they were when the two sides last met in September, United continue to stumble and falter in a back three devoid of leadership; the return of Jonny Evans (2.5 tackles, 2 interceptions) has added a modicum of stability, but van Gaal's defence is still clearly lacking in quality.

Meanwhile, Leicester City are currently undergoing a mini-resurgence, led primarily by a burgeoning relationship betweenDavid Nugent and Leonardo Ulloa, and the dramatic rise to prominence of Jeffrey Schlupp (average 1.5 key passes and three dribbles in last four league games).

United have been vulnerable in wide areas all season, as part of a mass defensive confusion that has often torn the three centre-backs apart; with Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young both advancing down the touchline, United appear baffled when counter-attacks are initiated, particularly against teams - like Leicester - who play with two strikers.

It is not difficult to envisage a situation arising in which - dominating possession high up the pitch - United's right wing-back is caught high up the pitch and Schlupp, approaching a back three dragged across to meet him, leads a three-on-three charge at goal.

With Leicester's considerable work ethic and constant hounding of the team in possession, Man Utd - whose confidence is fragile -could fall apart this weekend. A major upset is not impossible.

Recommended Bet
Back Leicester to win @ 9/1

I'd like to see him play centrally in a free role behind the striker(s).

His pace is just ridiculous and he's starting to cause so many problems for defences.

Why not just keep playing him where he has been our most effective player this year?

His pace is just ridiculous and he's starting to cause so many problems for defences.

Playing some of Jeff Schlupp's pace and ability to drive forward behind a striker would restrict him my viewpoint. On the wing he can really move like the clappers and capitalise on the space and drive into the areas behind the full back where it is more open. In the middle he is restricted between the midfielders and centre backs and would have less space to use his pace. I'd also say he lacks the passing ability to play 'in the hole' behind the strikers.

He has proven he is best used out wide causing problems and running at people so it would be foolish to change his position now and bring him into a central role where he has to pull the strings.

Why not just keep playing him where he has been our most effective player this year?

True...I think I'd like to see him just cut inside a bit more and run straight at defenders.  

The way he moved from a central position out wide to nearly set up Kramarić against Spurs was excellent...he pulled a couple of their players out of position and was very unlucky not to have picked up an assist

to Kramarić. He's been excellent down the wing this season too.  (Much better than Dyer - although I loved Dyer during his time at the club).

Also, his central positioning and the way he attacked the ball to score the winner was quality.  He's definitely growing in confidence which is fantastic to see.  And presumably he likes Nandos.  Always a bonus.

he drifts in at times anyway but best leaving him wide where teams shit themselves over his power and pace

• 2 weeks later...

Did he get injured yesterday? There was about a 10 minute passage of play where he just stood in the centre circle hardly moved and look confused.

His number then came up and he sprinted off.

Being on a booking affected his game, he usually puts himself about and doesn't shirk challenges, but one mis-timed lunge and he'd have been off.

His shot first half almost went out for throw in OUR half lol

Not for the first time this season he had me in stitches when he did it. A bright point in a shit day.

It was actually about ten yards away from being in their half and LITERALLY went backwards lol

• 4 weeks later...

Archived