Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bilo

That has to be it. Pearson needs to go.

Time for a change of direction at the end of the season regardless of where we are

It will be weird going to the championship and getting rid of a manager the whole championship will then be bending over backwards to try and appoint.

If we go down it's a massive decision for this football club - a quick return or another ten years of utter dross could be the result of that decision.

Answer the question. Why would getting rid of Nigel Pearson be gambling with the clubs future?

He would have had to be paid off, granted.

What else?

I wasn't talking about just getting rid of Pearson col but people's desperation for instant success. But a new manager would want his own staff and players and we would still be guaranteed nothing. If we go down why would you get rid of one of the most experienced/proven championship managers out there?

We could end up with a poor manager, a poor scouting team, a poor coach.

A bad preseason where the players aren't properly fit, poor recruitment. Failure to retain our better players. All this coupled with sky high expectations from deluded fans could lead to a downward spiral and either a double relegation or getting bogged down in the mid table of the championship.

With FFP I think it will become more critical to use the window of opportunity given by parachute payments. Wolves are a decent example of what can go wrong. They had great finances and were expected to bounce back but they mucked about with unproven managers and it spectacularly failed. Now they are doing reasonably well under Kenny Jackett but the parachute money will be gone and it will be harder for them to get back. At the same time their sacked manager, Mick McCarthy is mounting a promotion push with a fairly modest budget at Ipswich.

Fulham and Cardiff have done the same routine.

Answer the question. Why would getting rid of Nigel Pearson be gambling with the clubs future?

He would have had to be paid off, granted.

What else?

I do not think it would.

I do think he is best placed to bring us straight back up.

Is he best placed to manage us again in the prem? (not sure)

Would I like a new manager (I do not have the insight of what happened last summer)

All I will say is if nige got us promoted I would trust our owners did not blame Nige so yes I would trust him.

Everything depends on how they back him.

Also (we do not know the truth of last summer) do they trust him. (I take it they sacked Robinson that they blame him not Nige)

Our form was as low as it could be yet they backed Nige and sacked the DOF that to me say's they blamed him not Nige.

I wasn't talking about just getting rid of Pearson col but people's desperation for instant success. But a new manager would want his own staff and players and we would still be guaranteed nothing. If we go down why would you get rid of one of the most experienced/proven championship managers out there?

Not for sacking Nige.

All I will say is if the owners want to the minute we are down they should pull the trigger.

If we have 5 games left then anyone coming in can view the squad.

Do not keep Nige on for a few weeks to save money.

Will cost more next season give the new man as long as possible this season.

But saying that I think Big Fat Sam is certain if Wham let him go.

Has anyone considered that Pearson might walk out on us if we are relegated when he'll know the club will probably want him for his experience of getting us back up. It's fairly safe to believe one of the owners did sack him and he won't forget that. Another reason why I'd chuff him up now whilst there's still a small chance of survival.

Why on earth do people think sam would come to leicester ? I am certain he will have a better offer than a championship outfit. Trying to get a team promoted is likely to be just as stressful as keeping one in the prem (remember that his most recent experience of the championship is having to go through the play offs to get the best squad up). we do suffer from delusions of grandeur.

But you talk like we have a choice whether we stay up or not Col, we aren't choosing to go down if we don't sack a manager.

It's not a financial disaster at all if we go down, we are supposedly in line with FFP - I think it's pretty clear us and Burnley have approached this season with an attitude of not overspending just to try and survive.

Strokes makes a fantastic post above, why has this obsession with trying to survive become so important we're prepared to turn the club upside down for it? I find it bizarre. People are supposed to enjoy following a football club. You get the feeling some will slit their wrists if we go.

that is a very fair point, but to play  devils advocate, where is the limit to where keeping the club financially stable is unnacceptable for some.

20,000 fans mid table champ, 15k mid table L1, 10000 mid table L2?????

if we were within our budget would you be happy traipsing up  to Bury in L1, or having cambridge come to  visit the KP with a crowd of 10,106???

Why on earth do people think sam would come to leicester ? I am certain he will have a better offer than a championship outfit. Trying to get a team promoted is likely to be just as stressful as keeping one in the prem (remember that his most recent experience of the championship is having to go through the play offs to get the best squad up). we do suffer from delusions of grandeur.

One of the main reasons I cannot wait for NP to get sacked is for us to be rid of the accusation that wanting more than bottom of the league is a delusion of grandeur. He has dismantled the pride and ambition from our club.

One of the main reasons I cannot wait for NP to get sacked is for us to be rid of the accusation that wanting more than bottom of the league is a delusion of grandeur. He has dismantled the pride and ambition from our club.

By getting us promoted since that comment?

Has anyone considered that Pearson might walk out on us if we are relegated when he'll know the club will probably want him for his experience of getting us back up. It's fairly safe to believe one of the owners did sack him and he won't forget that. Another reason why I'd chuff him up now whilst there's still a small chance of survival.

Is it? Because you'd have thought that that might have been communicated to him, and I highly doubt in that case he'd claim to have been in the pub Sunday evening like he's said.

I believe that comment by him betrays a lack of ambition,

I believe that comment by him betrays a lack of ambition,

That comment was made 3 years ago when people were acting like just because Sven spent big, we should be walking the division. Saying people should temper their expectations and not think money=success is not the same as having a lack of ambition.

But you talk like we have a choice whether we stay up or not Col, we aren't choosing to go down if we don't sack a manager.

It's not a financial disaster at all if we go down, we are supposedly in line with FFP - I think it's pretty clear us and Burnley have approached this season with an attitude of not overspending just to try and survive.

Strokes makes a fantastic post above, why has this obsession with trying to survive become so important we're prepared to turn the club upside down for it? I find it bizarre. People are supposed to enjoy following a football club. You get the feeling some will slit their wrists if we go.

We are clear at the bottom of the league after 2/3rd of the season. I'd say that keeping the same manager that has managed that side for the remaining 1/3rd of a season is tantamount to exactly that: Choosing to keep the manager and go down. 

If you believe that our club in the championship will attract sam allardyce as manager then you are deluded. He only way that would happen is if we offered him a ridiculous contract. we had a chance this season to begin a new period for our club of a PL established side. what Southampton have achieved shows what a club with our support are capable of. we have blown it - big time. we may get another chance, we may not. The point is that we actually had the chance this season. too many are too relaxed about this. I'm not suffering from a lack of ambition but I'm realistic now. basically it's bo**ox but apparently it's ok cos Nigel knows what he's doing.

it's like being given free air tickets for two weeks in Bali but going to Cornwall instead and smiling in the photos in the pissing rain cos you won't pay for the hotel in Bali.

Good point mate. BUT this is actually what I'm saying. Who knows what would work and what wouldn't?

For every gamble that doesn't pay off, there's those that do. When I referred to Brom, I obviously mean this season. Sometimes you roll the dice, you takes your chances. Unless something changes this season, and quick, it's probable the Thais will look back and feel they should have rolled them dice.

Relegation, for the club, the fans, the players and for Pearson is bad news. Don't play this down...business-wise, what with the new TV rights coming, if City are relegated this season, it will be massive, financially. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I wouldn't say for every gamble that fails there is a success. The 3 teams that went down changed the season they went down, and have changed again this season because the rebuilding has gone tits up. I think the time for gambling has passed, and the best option for next season would be to keep Pearson due to his record in the Championship in comparison to most other candidates.

I agree with Matt P to an extent, the Premier League is great but I don't support city for what league they are in. As long as we are playing well I am contempt, whilst obviously being disappointed with the results it's really not worth the shit storm that most are saying if we relegated. We are financially set fair with parachute payments etc, and managed correctly we could return here.

Staff fair enough, but no manager gets rid of an entire squad and replaces with another. If we go down there will be player changes as many will leave and others contracts will be up so there will be rebuilding regardless.

History has shown that at Championship level, Pearson doesnt do quick fix. He takes his time to re-assemble a squad capable of promotion so if we go down and Pearson remains in charge, I doubt we'll come straight back up which the owners wont be happy with.

I can see a change happening.

And? Just because you've spent money on players doesn't mean you aren't a crap team. We spent a shit load under Sven, but it doesn't mean they all fit together and worked together. You seem be think investment = you're good. It doesn't.

Again, And? Just because some idiot thinks we're going to do well doesn't mean we're going to. Misplaced optimism based on spending a few £'s, just as we had again after Sven. The fact is the season before we got relegated we finished 19th, we spent a shed load of cash on a couple of players in the summer and suddenly we're great. One was a crock and the other was always offside. We then spent some money in January on Howard and Oakley but it was too late.

Once again thinking investment instantly = good team. It doesn't, clearly seeing as we got relegated.

I didnt say it did, I made the point that expectations were higher and its an easier job when there had been investment, whether it be from the players or allowing the manager the  flexibility if he offsets said transfers.

If any team has significant investment bookmakers increase there odds of promotion . So based on that I'm guessing that it must be quite evident in history.

What about Hobbs, Brown 7, Berner, Warner, Martin, Stockdale, Edworthy, Astrit, Bunn, added to the 9 you've already mentioned. 19 players that season in total I believe signed by Pearson on loan and permanent.

Supplemented by Mattock, King Gradel from the youth team.

With about three regulars in Howard, Fryatt and Oakley from the relegated team who played regularly and a couple of bit part players like Kisnorbo who played 5 games.

So yes, the team that played and got promotion was mostly put together by Pearson. You do know what mostly means? I suppose if you miss out 10 people from the list of those he signed it wouldn't look like most of the squad. :rolleyes:

What about Hobbs39, Brown 7, Berner21, Warner4, Martin25, Stockdale8, Edworthy5, Astrit0, Bunn3, added to the 9 you've already mentioned. 19 players that season in total I believe signed by Pearson on loan and permanent.

"Supplemented by Mattock, King Gradel from the youth team". Mattock with 25 appearances and king with 4 and 9 as sub the year before

Cleverley 10
Davies 
Gilbert 33

PLAYER FROM FEE DATE Lloyd Dyer 43apps MK Dons Free 01 Jul, 2008 Nicky Adams 4apps Bury £100,000 01 Jul, 2008 Michael Morrison 33apps Cambridge U Signed 01 Jul, 2008 Aleksander Tunchev 19apps CSKA Sofia £375,000 07 Jul, 2008 Chris Powell 12apps Charlton Free 01 Aug, 2008 Paul Dickov 4 apps Man City Free 07 Aug, 2008 Total: £475,000

Not sure that constitutes pearsons squad over 46 games are you?

and the guy that went on to score 13 goals in the premier league was crap in league one because he was all ways offside and getting the best out of the player clearly wasn't possible by NP and his staff?

Heaven forbid that he may have been mismanaged 2 divisions lower

This is true.

Why on earth do people automatically think 'the long term future of the club is better off under Pearson'...?

Why is this?

We know that Pearson is struggling at this level. We also know that other managers usually don't. Pulis is just one example.

Why would Pearson automatically be better than say Allardyce, if he came or maybe even Lennon who would probably relish the chance to take on the Prem?

I know that people shed a tear, first of sorrow, then of elation on the night of 'Pearsongate'...but he isn't the Messiah. It could be that he's a good, solid, Championship manager who can't make the next level. Who knows? But as much as Pearson might be the person to take us further, so too may other men. Surely? Why not?

And sometimes, horror of horrors, football clubs need a shake up...a fresh face with fresh ideas. Just ask West Brom fans.

They don't "automatically" think it. They came to the conclusion after weighing everything up, just as Dangerous Tiger etc come to a different conclusion. Presumably just as you came to the conclusion we should keep Pearson even if we ent down before the season started.

To suggest they come to the conclusion without thought is just pathetic and another way of putting people down.

Also... Who has said Allerdyce wouldn't be better? Most have said it just wouldn't happen.

Don't talk to me, you've only got 1800 posts.

The people who go on about post counts are usually the idiots, funnily enough.

Maybe they are closer to home than you think

Since when does man writing something on the internet = Journalist?

Very touchy when anybody suggests anything anti Nigel, you do know the definition of a forum?

a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

Archived