Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

16 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

16 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I have 6 weeks off beginning of May, Mrs doesn't finish until end of June so thinking we are going to have to do a few weekend City breaks to stand any chance of getting away with each other. We did Krakow last year which was great, what do people think of flying Friday evening and returning Sunday evening so she can be back in Monday? Looking for any ideas as well, we are looking at the usual options, Prague, Budapest, Barcelona, but if anyone has any recommendations that aren't so typical I'd love to hear. Going to scroll back through this thread tomorrow for inspiration.

Berlin for fun or Salzburg for a bit of culture - both easily doable for a weekend. 

7 hours ago, Turtles Head said:

Ljubljana is a nice city break. 

Looks nice, definitely going on the list, cheers mate!

4 hours ago, baker11 said:

Bratislava, Lisbon, Cologne, Zagreb and Krakow.

I knew you'd pop up with some recommendations, cheers mate. Done Cologne and Krakow, the other 3 I'll look into further, cheers pal!

4 hours ago, Milo said:

Berlin for fun or Salzburg for a bit of culture - both easily doable for a weekend. 

Salzburg looks a great shout, I'll forward these all on to the boss and see what we go with, cheers lads!

20 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

@Merging Cultures is your man, just got back from there a few weeks ago and loved it.

Go to Boulders Beach and drive to Cape Point, Climb Table mountain, do a Vineyard tour, chill out on Clifton beach, eat at one of the many incredible restaurants (Pot Luck Club was my favourite), visit Robben Island and Kirstenbosch Botanical gardens.

How long are you there for?

Just over 2 weeks. Think you have given me enough ideas to fill up the time, and we may have to take some time out to search for water too!

Oh, just one thing - do you happen to know of any good jazz clubs in Capetown?

Thank v much.

5 hours ago, deep blue said:

Just over 2 weeks. Think you have given me enough ideas to fill up the time, and we may have to take some time out to search for water too!

Oh, just one thing - do you happen to know of any good jazz clubs in Capetown?

Thank v much.

In De Waterkant I found a decent bar called Piano Bar where all weekend they have live performers. Wasn’t necessarily jazz but was a really cool little place.

What are your experiences with Dubai?

I have to go there for a week at the end of the month for work, i'll be in the office all day and the hotel they're putting me up in is literally next door to our office. I'll have some spare time in the evenings but obviously there are a lot of horror stories about the law enforcement over there. Is it worth going to explore the city in the evenings or am i best just to get back to the hotel to avoid any trouble?

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

In De Waterkant I found a decent bar called Piano Bar where all weekend they have live performers. Wasn’t necessarily jazz but was a really cool little place.

Thanks Costock, just one more question. Do English plugs work in their sockets, or do you need an adaptor of some kind?

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Thanks Costock, just one more question. Do English plugs work in their sockets, or do you need an adaptor of some kind?

No mate you need to get a South African one.

Mega jealous, I’m seriously considering booking to go back. Cape Town is one of them places where you can wander round a corner and discover a great little bar that you never knew existed.

I’m sure you have read about the water issues so just be mindful there and personal safety wise just bear in mind that touristy areas have pick pockets. Someone went in my pocket at a football match but luckily I caught them.

Edited by Costock_Fox

6 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I have to go there for a week at the end of the month for work, i'll be in the office all day and the hotel they're putting me up in is literally next door to our office. I'll have some spare time in the evenings but obviously there are a lot of horror stories about the law enforcement over there. Is it worth going to explore the city in the evenings or am i best just to get back to the hotel to avoid any trouble?

There is no trouble there unless you go looking for it, probably one of the safest cities you could visit.

Any booze related fun is confined to the hotels but there's some amazing things to see, depending on where you're staying...

Go to the Burj khalifa, it's amazing. Even if you don't go up it, there's the fountain show outside of there which is pretty cool. 

Just googalise what to do. Everything is fairly spread out but taxis are super cheap. There's even a couple of sports bars at media village which will have the footy on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

No mate you need to get a South African one.

Mega jealous, I’m seriously considering booking to go back. Cape Town is one of them places where you can wander round a corner and discover a great little bar that you never knew existed.

I’m sure you have read about the water issues so just be mindful there and personal safety wise just bear in mind that touristy areas have pick pockets. Someone went in my pocket at a football match but luckily I caught them.

Thanks for all that. Hope I haven't made you too jealous. Hope you get back there soon.

What I Like about this Forum,and quite a few of the Younger generation in it,

is seeing either through Work or more so now than ever,the Travelling Bug

seems a positive Virus Well Set in fellow foxes.

When I ,then my wife decided,the unknown Roads and Regions of the world,we would

make "home ist where one finds oneself  at any given time." 

The gap-year,was not yet in our vocabulary,we met,or come across a few fellow

adventureres,willing and ready to Exchange new finds,or unknown Little remote gems,

sometimes with crazy post-its,left in the most unexpected place, even

anything Like 2-5 years old,left behind for the Next  endeavourers,that just might passby.

Today the Internet,opens Up the paths and dangers/adventures there-in.

When we were underway, the fear of Terrorists was not a consistent companion.

Bandits or Bandit regions,we're often suprisingly when Travelling with common-sense

in the pocket, quite welcoming,because foreigners we're never their target-hits.

Often quite protective towards their guests.when travelling through their villages.

To you all,Take in the adventures or Just the easy Locations,but try with intent and bring back always a piece of the peoples the culture and Experiences that one brushes by.

And write about it/them in This Forum...

Edited by fuchsntf

On 2/6/2018 at 09:33, TiffToff88 said:

I really like Dubai, there's lots of fun to be had. Certainly don't just go back to the hotel. I would recommend doing a Friday brunch at one of the nicer hotels. Just don't act like a socially incompetent loud-mouth arrogant sod and you'll be fine. Which, really, should be a rule for life.

On 2/8/2018 at 14:31, grobyfox1990 said:

I really like Dubai, there's lots of fun to be had. Certainly don't just go back to the hotel. I would recommend doing a Friday brunch at one of the nicer hotels. Just don't act like a socially incompetent loud-mouth arrogant sod and you'll be fine. Which, really, should be a rule for life.

Any good sports bars around the Jumeirah Beach area? got to find somewhere to watch the leicester games while i'm out there!

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Any good sports bars around the Jumeirah Beach area? got to find somewhere to watch the leicester games while i'm out there!

I watched the champions league final a few years back at the Dhow and Anchor which had a decent atmosphere. Otherwise the Hilton on the beach is a 'nice' option

On 13.2.2018 at 01:04, Wymeswold fox said:

Would anyone ever consider Tunisia to go to (despite the tragic, unexpected event back in 2015..)?

My German friend went to Turkey,Just before Xmas,He Said It was quiet,but they had a few good

Boat Trips,because they we're cheap,but still Friendly and welcoming.His 11-14yr olds He Said,

Really enjoyed the boats,sea fishing and adventure tours.obviously No drang ,so instructors

had time for all.He Said His wife enjoyed the Trip,so much she suggested Tunisia.

They have booked, 12 days,for 5 of them,plus her parents,for Just before easter.

€2000. For all,flights/5star with Wellness,2 boat Trips ,half-Pension.free Drinks.

Jeep/CAMEl/horse  safari. Hotel doesnt do all inclusive,each Weekend Buffet with A la carte.

Old Costs would of been minimal ...€6000.

He booked over a German-online Site..

Typo..€2600,still cheap..

Edited by fuchsntf

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

My German friend went to Turkey,Just before Xmas,He Said It was quiet,but they had a few good

Boat Trips,because they we're cheap,but still Friendly and welcoming.His 11-14yr olds He Said,

Really enjoyed the boats,sea fishing and adventure tours.obviously No drang ,so instructors

had time for all.He Said His wife enjoyed the Trip,so much she suggested Tunisia.

They have booked, 12 days,for 5 of them,plus her parents,for Just before easter.

€2000. For all,flights/5star with Wellness,2 boat Trips ,half-Pension.free Drinks.

Jeep/CAMEl/horse  safari. Hotel doesnt do all inclusive,each Weekend Buffet with A la carte.

Old Costs would of been minimal ...€6000.

He booked over a German-online Site..

Typo..€2600,still cheap..

No dramg and half-pension? I’m in.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It could be Costa Teguise, I'm just looking atm.

I'd reccomend Puerto Del Carmen over Teguise. It's a bigger strip and plenty to do.

Then take a trip to Teguise whilst there.

Also, whilst in Del Carmen, you can take an hour's stroll beside the coast or bus boat to Puerto Calero, which is nice.

I've got a week booked in June, can't wait.

• Like 1

Off to Japan tomorrow; absolutely buzzing. 

10 days in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto, 1 in Hiroshima and 1 in Osaka.

Looking forward to getting away from the UK and immersing myself in a totally different culture for a couple of weeks - really need to reset my brain atm; no news, no brexit, no worries. 

Just beer, sushi, karaoke and exploring somewhere I've wanted to visit for years.

I'm already absolutely gutted to be coming home and I've not even left yet. Might just stay tbh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Off to Japan tomorrow; absolutely buzzing. 

10 days in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto, 1 in Hiroshima and 1 in Osaka.

Looking forward to getting away from the UK and immersing myself in a totally different culture for a couple of weeks - really need to reset my brain atm; no news, no brexit, no worries. 

Just beer, sushi, karaoke and exploring somewhere I've wanted to visit for years.

I'm already absolutely gutted to be coming home and I've not even left yet. Might just stay tbh. 

How are you going to cope without having a spliff for two whole weeks? :P