Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

May well happen with Maloney falling through

Can't understand that - Okazaki is a central striker, Maloney is a left winger / midfielder.  Okazaki may or may not come, but with Maloney not moving to us, Nige will probably be looking at another left sided midfielder, not a striker.

http://www.espnfcasia.com/story/2246768/mainz-open-15-20-million-euro-offer-leicester-target-shinji-okazaki?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mainz would consider selling attacker Shinji Okazaki should Leicester City make an improved bid for the Japan international.Okazaki, 28, has scored 23 goals for Mainz since joining the club from Stuttgart in the summer of 2013, and has netted eight in 16 Bundesliga games this season.nly Frankfurt's Alex Meier, Bayern Munich attacker Arjen Robben and Schalke's Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting are ahead of Okazaki in the Bundesliga scoring charts midway through the season.However, it is still unclear whether the Japan international will add more to his Bundesliga tally of 33 goals for Stuttgart and Mainz upon his return from the Asian Cup in Australia.Last week, Mainz turned down an offer of 10 million euros from Leicester, and the German club's sporting director Christian Heidel has now said that they could reconsider selling the attacker should the Foxes make a new bid."Should they all of a sudden offer 15 or 20 million euros, we'd need to reconsider," Heidel said in quotes reported by Bild.However, the Mainz chief admitted that signing a replacement for Okazaki during the winter might be a problem, adding: "The top 20 of the German scorer charts have pretty much no reason to join Mainz."That's why you have to look abroad -- but that means problems with language and settling in. There is no guarantee that this works out."

If indeed any of this is true and not just dodgy journalism, it's a negotiation stance. We have obviously got close to a fee they would consider and they have sweaty palms at the prospect. My estimate.. hmm - 12m Euros would probably secure it if we wanted to pay that much. The whole 'we can't sign another player' is just being used to make us believe they aren't desperate to sell to get us to up the price.

My guess is that, having walked away with that position, they have been disappointed we haven't made a further bid (which we should not do yet) so have leaked a little more info to try to get us to approach them again. Whether we will or not I don't know but sounds like he is ours if we want him and are prepared to offer a little more. We need to wait before making an improved offer and get some speculation in the press that we are after an alternative to not look desperate which will keep the upper hand but not leave it until too late in the window as then the leverage shifts back to Mainz as they know the clock is ticking and may help drive up his price. 

Good luck holding out for £15-20million euros.

Our opening shot for Ulloa was £4.5m and paid 8m so if we offered 12m euro's 15m is not impossible.

We would not open with our best bid if we really wanted him.

Or was the offer just to push Kramaric to sign?

I do think we are praps using others to push deals through.

Our opening shot for Ulloa was £4.5m and paid 8m so if we offered 12m euro's 15m is not impossible.

We would not open with our best bid if we really wanted him.

Or was the offer just to push Kramaric to sign?

I do think we are praps using others to

My phone cocked up but im quoting the above lol

---------------'-'-----------

Depends where our ceiling is. If we are prepared to got to 12, i'd go back with 10.5. They will know then that we won't budge much and will either walk or continue talks. If they continue, we know it's a matter of 'pence' to secure. If they walk, we know we are not even close and cant quit in favour of plan B. Or as you say, it was to lever Kram. Who knows. In reality as someone who lives this life in another industry, a lot of behind the scenes chat and positioning goes on and one or both parties know if there is potential a deal can be struck quite early on. Sounds like Mainz think a deal can be done. Its just whether we really want the guy or not.

Archived