Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

East Midlands Rivalries - do you miss them?

In terms of Forest and Derby the fact that the after thought club of the East Midlands are now an established Premier League club, something neither of them have managed for over 10 years, will be winding them up a lot more than any one off defeat. So no I am quite happy not playing them and them looking up at us whilst turning a very nice shade of green. It's Forest and Derby after all, and we're all on our own.

Let's be honest we've never had anything resembling a big rivalry with Notts County, and I've never really been one to buy into the Pseudo rivalry we seem to have developed with Coventry. 

There's always Villa for me anyway, never liked them, and plenty of twats here in NWL who support them.

Once the novelty of the Premier League wears off if we're stuck in midtable in a few years I'd imagine we'd miss playing them, because it doesn't matter what people say, they're just bigger, more important matches than those against most teams we play.

Exactly, every win this season has felt better than beating any perceived local rival in a normal match (Forest last day of the season was different).

The fact that Derby and Forest failed so badly this season while we succeeded was nice, but it wasn't the icing on the cake, nor the cherry on top, it wasn't even the pretty ribbon round the box it was nothing to do with the cake, it was having our cake and eating it to find out afterwards we had not got a single crumb on our clothes in the process, but even if they had been promoted we would have brushed them away as easily as said crumbs and we still would have enjoyed that amazing cake.

Exactly, every win this season has felt better than beating any perceived local rival in a normal match (Forest last day of the season was different).

The fact that Derby and Forest failed so badly this season while we succeeded was nice, but it wasn't the icing on the cake, nor the cherry on top, it wasn't even the pretty ribbon round the box it was nothing to do with the cake, it was having our cake and eating it to find out afterwards we had not got a single crumb on our clothes in the process, but even if they had been promoted we would have brushed them away as easily as said crumbs and we still would have enjoyed that amazing cake.

Really

Where premier league

Where premier league

You slum it again 

Where premier league

Still don't get why some LCFC fans get so agitated when it comes to our so-called rivalry with Derby or Nottingham Forest. Both teams in their respective city are too occupied with each other and don't care about us to a very large extent, their encounters are part of a competition of honour (regardless of whether you laugh at their own Cup) and tradition.

Maybe Coventry manage the turnaround at one point so we can talk about a proper derby again. In the meantime, we'll hold the East Midlands flag up high and should only focus on enjoying more Premier League football to come.

I don't miss neither Forest or Derby one bit. They'd probably say the same about us (albeit looking at this season's success with a portion of envy).

Speaking as a old fart who started watching city 62/63, I dont think I saw us play Derby for the first 10 years or notts county for 15 years, so they are non starters in terms of rivalry. Discount them totally.

With regard to Forest we did play them regularly in the 60's, but they were rubbish for many years, so there was not much needle.

I have no animosity against those three teams because they aren't worth getting worked up about. Had a few good years, but all short lived.

The team I don't like is Coventry. For you younger fans as you may be aware we got relegated in 1969. In April that year we were away at Coventry in a six pointer in which the winner would likely stay up. Nil nil after about 88 minutes, we then scored and the referee gave the goal. We were going crazy in our end. Then virtually all the Cov team bitched to the ref who eventually consulted the linesman. Whatever was said, the referee then changed his decision which got the Leicester team having a go at the referee.

Coventry take a quick free kick, we are out of position (maybe unprofessional but emotions were running high), they go straight up the other end and score. The referee allows it and we lose 1-0, and relegation is more or less a reality (unless we win our last away match at old trafford - we actually score there in the first minute, Nish I think, but lose 3-2)

I have always disliked Coventry with a real passion and for me they are our only local rivals. Bit sad I know but I still remember that minute or two vividly, bit like anybody at Watford two years ago. It will always live in our memory.

Speaking as a old fart who started watching city 62/63, I dont think I saw us play Derby for the first 10 years or notts county for 15 years, so they are non starters in terms of rivalry. Discount them totally.

With regard to Forest we did play them regularly in the 60's, but they were rubbish for many years, so there was not much needle.

I have no animosity against those three teams because they aren't worth getting worked up about. Had a few good years, but all short lived.

The team I don't like is Coventry. For you younger fans as you may be aware we got relegated in 1969. In April that year we were away at Coventry in a six pointer in which the winner would likely stay up. Nil nil after about 88 minutes, we then scored and the referee gave the goal. We were going crazy in our end. Then virtually all the Cov team bitched to the ref who eventually consulted the linesman. Whatever was said, the referee then changed his decision which got the Leicester team having a go at the referee.

Coventry take a quick free kick, we are out of position (maybe unprofessional but emotions were running high), they go straight up the other end and score. The referee allows it and we lose 1-0, and relegation is more or less a reality (unless we win our last away match at old trafford - we actually score there in the first minute, Nish I think, but lose 3-2)

I have always disliked Coventry with a real passion and for me they are our only local rivals. Bit sad I know but I still remember that minute or two vividly, bit like anybody at Watford two years ago. It will always live in our memory.

Fvcking hate all 3 but do I care or want to play them NO.

Rather they rot than play them.

Guest bss9401

Over the past few weeks we have, fans and players alike played every game like it was the ultimate local derby. I like having several rivals but have no interest whatsoever in having them in the Premier league. Esteban Cambiasso equalising against Man u was miles ahead of any local derby goal in recent years. Only Walshie scoring vs the sheep at Wembley can compare. Screw them. They are simply not worthy!

They seemed to care enough to comment in vast amounts when we languishing at the bottom of the table.

Proper boyfriend clubs that seem to have this ironic love in whilst constantly taking the time and effort in labelling us a non-rival which is a paradox in itself. Let them have each other and their ugly, ugly players and fans.

I didn't miss them this season. There's always a bit of needle in the games, but I'd rather see us playing some of the best teams in the world and watching us grow as a club than languishing in the second tier playing those two every year. 

I was far too busy enjoying the fact that we may very well have outgrown the 'rivalry' in a couple of years, and our attitude towards Forest and Derby will be much like Villa's towards Birmingham. 

Thought I would but I actually don't really. I take more pride from being a league above them and their tedious cover of "we only hate Derby/Forest" doesn't half become tiresome. Irrelevant, Championship sides.

I'd actually pretty much forgotten about them, though Derby would be worth having around for the solid thrashings we usually hand out to them and the four to six points are always nice.

Let's face it. Derby Leicester isn't a big rivalry. Forest is feisty, but hardly a great derby. I want Forest to lose, whereas I have a grudging respect for Derby as a club. It's a football city, I'd rather play them in the Premiership than Bournemouth or Watford.

As for Cov.... it's like hating the special needs kid at school.

So why is Derby a footballing city?

Is it because they are all homers and don't follow there team away.

They were better last season,I grant you that,yet in previous seasons there away following has been shocking.

Archived