Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

Newcastle post match thread

Lot's already said and there's so much disappointment following one point from nine where we have clearly had an opportunity for more but through tactics and possibly attitude we haven't taken them! Nige needs to learn from these mistakes and get us playing where we dictate the tempo and play not just setting up not to lose. We played Burnley in the Championship with mainly ( but not totally) the same teams yet the tactics were completely different .... Why? Learn from it and we can do ok .... Couple of fullbacks and a striker would help!

Guest seanfox778

I think Pearson is trying to outfox opposing managers by shuffling the team about with different personnel and tactics which in theory could work but it's really not at the minute. You only have to look at all the pre match threads and see that (almost) nobody predicts the correct starting 11. I'd like to see a format of last season in a game soon, maybe not Swansea or Southampton but definitely the home games against WBA and Sunderland with Drinkwater and James in the middle with Nugent and Vardy up top with Mahrez and Knocky on the wings and the back 4 or RDL Moore Morgan and Konchesky. Obviously it's not up to me though and I trust Nigel and the staff to make the right call after all we're all in the same boat, we all want points on the board. I believe we'll get back on track soon.  

Having now watched match choice I have formulated an opinion.

Firstly, I thought we defended very well throughout. We came under a lot of pressure so it's just as well really. Having said that, our defending for the goal was piss poor. Then it stayed pretty average as we were throwing men forward which is to be expected. Going forward we were a bit clueless. I think ulloa needs someone playing very closely to him. I know DD was trying to do that job but he wasn't forward enough. Which is probably because we were under a lot of pressure. We had some decent chances and on another day we would have scored. But sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say, they were better than us.

I thought Albrighton was decent. Would like to see him more regularly.

First time I've seen us lose a game live in 11 months. Must be my longest spell ever that.

Wish I could say that. I've been to 10 games in the last 2 seasons including the previous two before today. We've lost 6 of those 10. I should stop going.

Its about context I suppose. We have just played Newcastle away.. always a difficult place to go, in front of 52 thousand home fans baying for Pardew's blood.

And we lost 1-0, having made some chances of our own.

It's a good job some of the kids on here weren't at St James that day we lost 6-1.

The Premiership is THE top league in the World. This season was always going to be a marathon with highs and lows. And the berks who claimed that the top half of the Prem are as good as the likes of West Ham, Southampton, West Brom and the like are just wrong. Plain wrong.

If we stay up in this division, we'll have done bloody well.

It's not ALWAYS a difficult place to go, though, is it? That's the point, if you see what I mean.

And the concern is that Leicester are fast becoming a team which is NEVER especially difficult to play against.

And no, of course we're not down. But if we pretend that Pearson won't be under pressure if we go on a prolonged winless run, then we're being very naive. We kept plenty of cash to spare this summer, meaning that there are still funds for someone else to come in and bail us out if the situation demands it. And newly-promoted or not, how many relegation strugglers persist with their managers these days?

We are two points above the drop zone. The pressure isn't that far off, whether it's justified or not.

I believe he'll turn it around. And if he doesn't, I'll be behind him so long as our heads are kept more or less above water. But we're probably a couple more bad results away from dipping into the drop zone and trust me, there will be plenty of pressure if that comes to pass.

It was a terrible game to watch today, and we got it wrong on so many levels. The 4-5-1 we played in the first half flattered Newcastle and meant the game was devoid of space, so scrappy.

Our passing was well off standard we were giving the ball away left right and centre. Set plays were all poor. Don't really feel any player had a great game.

The substitutions made a difference but he should have played Vardy on the right not the left; and having everything go through nugent just meant a poor final ball almost every time.

The goal - we backed off and off and off. Gave Obertan way too much respect.

Newcastle were poor and were there for the taking really.

Back to the drawing board nige!

On the plus side very good to see some old faces today I haven't seen for a while.

Having now watched match choice I have formulated an opinion.

Firstly, I thought we defended very well throughout. We came under a lot of pressure so it's just as well really. Having said that, our defending for the goal was piss poor. Then it stayed pretty average as we were throwing men forward which is to be expected. Going forward we were a bit clueless. I think ulloa needs someone playing very closely to him. I know DD was trying to do that job but he wasn't forward enough. Which is probably because we were under a lot of pressure. We had some decent chances and on another day we would have scored. But sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say, they were better than us.

I thought Albrighton was decent. Would like to see him more regularly.

You know, I thought our defending in wide positions was incredibly poor today - and has been poor all season. In previous games (not today, admittedly) Schlupp has helped Konchesky out a fair bit - I honestly believe that, coupled with his pace, is the sole reason for his inclusion - but generally speaking full backs have been exposed.

That's not to let the full backs off either, because their distribution is truly awful, and they seldom do anything to stop crosses coming in. De Laet bombs forward a lot and seems to be consistently out of position, meaning that the likes of James / Cambiasso have to fill in as supplementary defenders. He's also comically reckless in the challenge. As for defending as a team, today Cambiasso, and in previous games Hammond / King, have seemed woefully short of the pace required to effectively protect the defence.

But the single biggest reason for our slump is work-rate. I have no idea what has happened, but even during our early 2013 slump we seemed to be putting more effort into games. This feels very 2011-12, for some crazy reason. Something seems to have gone wrong.

First time I've seen us lose a game live in 11 months. Must be my longest spell ever that.

i've only seen us lose once live since pearson came back. crystal palace at home 12/13, 1-2. and i had a season ticket for two season and have been to something like 7 or 8 aways. crikey we've had an alright 2 years or so haven't we 

Wish I could say that. I've been to 10 games in the last 2 seasons including the previous two before today. We've lost 6 of those 10. I should stop going.

When you replace the 'should' for 'will' let me know so I don't waste a my time flying back to watch that shit!

That first half wouldnt have looked out of place in League 2, abysmal from both teams. So disappointed.

Poor... 1 up top against an off form and rather crap side...

Odd from NP today.

Still such is Premier League life, if James tucks away that massive chance first half we probably would have got the three points.

I said that chance will cost us today and it ultimately did. We have got to take our chances or be punished.

Still same points as Everton and only two behind Arsenal so can't complain much. Those two points at home to Burnley would have been even nicer now.

Nobody will expect us to get anything next week in Wales so perhaps we will surprise (I hope)

if he continues to start Schlupp, Hammond and Nugent then we might aswell start pre-season for the championship next season. Nowhere nere good enough. Out of the top flight for 10 years and we start Dean Hammond.

Sort it out Pearson

You mean the dean Hammond who has played reasonably well this season, or the Nugent that hasn't started for two games, and we've looked worse for it? Your complaints are stupid.

Now you see, this is exactly the problem. It’s no good playing well against top sides if you can’t sink those around you.

One point from our last three games against questionable opposition has been poor, though from what I have seen, it looks like we’re giving them opportunities to play well.

As Kitch said, we are better than this, we have been playing to our strength in those games, and well, same observation about the first half. We seem keen to keep things ‘tidy’ for the first half, let them have everything, frustrate the opposition with our defence, and once we figure out where they are weak, we bring on those that will win the game for us.

The tactics in the last three games have been rather poor from the start. These are teams that we should be getting onto from kickoff, apply the pressure and keep at it until they crack. We have shown some of that in the 2nd half, but that’s not good enough.

I want to see King back, he knew how to make passes stick and how to make an attack. Something’s not quite right with James. Maybe it was the internationals, as with Mahrez (That I can understand), but I want to see him play against Swansea.

We’re still living off the Man Utd game, and it is still showing. Guys, don’t let the Man Utd game be our definer. It's going to mean nothing if we're losing to the likes of Palace and Newcastle. Work just as hard, or even harder against the Lower 12, and ensure that we get the three points, and deny them any points.

Frustrating, I thought the international break would do us good, but little has changed…

Absolutely embarrassing standard of football from two awful sides on the day, predictably the utter shit, out of form side prevailed over Leicester. Work to do here. We were absolutely awful again and that's three games in a row now. We are so much ****ing better than this.

To top it off, I got in half an hour ago. Broke down and were messed around, waiting five hours in the process.

We were fortunate that we were playing a poor Newcastle side. Newcastle are a great club with die-hard supporters but their current team is disjointed and not performing to the standard necessary to keep them in the PL. If we had put in that sort of performance against an average PL team we could have been slaughtered.

I wasn't happy with the team selection, but understand that NP had restrictions based on the condition of players coming back from the international break. I definitely wasn't happy with the tactics, which restricted our attacking options against a team that should have been there for the taking. The performance was average at best, not a patch on most games last season where we passed and kept the ball and dominated possession. We seemed to be set up for the counter-attack, which handed possession to Newcastle and allowed them to create the pressure, poor though they were at exploiting it.

The most disappointing aspect is that we know our team are capable of so much more. If they play to their strengths then they can trouble most teams, however if someone watched City for the first time yesterday they would likely believe that they were relegation material.

I'm not sure that NP knows what our best team is yet. There are several new players and he's been chopping and changing the formation and personnel. I believe that we will have more success once the best players and team are settled and play together for most matches.

Archived